displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: minter or munter?
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #1
well my old dear is doing ok! shes no minter but not a munter either she has about 130k on the clock and is starting to show her age. gear knob is peeling back, steering wheel stitching giving up, outside temp sensor is no longer functional and a few other little niggles are letting her down. dings dents and stone chips.
all in all these cars are getting a bit long in the tooth so apart from the mint diablo we all see far too often Whistle how would you describe yours? (if you have one) (6 or rallye)?

1 - Grumpychef...... shabby chic! not mint by any standards!

Formally team BLAZE now Team bianca recuperating from multiple organ failure nicely!
items replaced so far, clutch, cambelt etc, radiator, exhaust, most of front running gear, wish bones, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, calipers, discs, and pads, brake lines, front springs, brake balance compensator thingy, hand brake cable, throttle cable (twice), coil pack, door handle, windscreen, wipers, head lamps several sensors and bulbs Dry .rear beam new throttle cable, new battery. .......... yeah man, team money pit! but shes still rollin!

Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 17:58
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #2
Not as many niggles as you've listed but a few more miles at 145,000. LOL

I've got it where I want it now: reliable, with no big jobs on the horizon.

Could do with a new centre section though as I think the baffles have collapsed in mine and it make a gay, loud, boy-racer noise. Thumbs down
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 18:03
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
112k but with very good bodywork. No dents or scratches anywhere, the mechanicals are pretty good, shes just had a rear suspension overhaul with everything getting changed. However... The interior is not great, both front seats have holes which annoys me but one day il get round to getting new ones. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 21:10
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
2 - Owain - Reliably unreliable

Always something screwed with the car, big dent down one side, power steering pump's whining, bits always fall off, rusty as hell, but has proudly still been flying round every trackday I've taken her to as the chequered flag is shown. Then even taken me back home, past all the broken down shitty old Caterhams on trailers.

Good girl.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 21:15
clen666

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Mine is shit

Team 'unintentional rat look'
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 21:16
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #6
owain wrote:

Owain - Reliably unreliable

Laugh my ass off

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 21:17
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
60ish on the engine and gearbox and running smooth, Newish suspension, clutch. Quick and responsive Thumbs up but.... 170k on the car itself and looking like shit.

2 - Owain - Reliably unreliable
3 - Pebbles167 - False impressions...

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 21:42
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Just over 110k on the engine and GB (kms) new cam belt water pump and tensioners, but looks like shit on the outside (bad paint and small dent on the bonnet as well as lots of massive stone chips) as it had stood for 2 years outside without engine before i saved her. Suspension will be the next thing i'll have to invest some dosh (bilstein B12 sportdampers or some good coilovers) after that i might get a respray and some OZ Allegerittas in 16" to make her look nice and fresh again.

This said... lovely old french tin that clearly looks like its 13 years old but still got the punch Devil
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 21:55
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
When cleaned it really doesn't look like a 12 year old car, and it runs smooth with not many problems in the 2 years of ownership. Does need a bit of money spent on the body, few dents. Also think a refurbished rear beam sometime soon.

On the whole really happy with it, although I think it's getting slower but that might just be in my head. A rolling road session is in order one day I believe.

Just hit 88k

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 27th Sep 2011 at 22:56
xaero1

Senior User

Post #10
Mines done 114k, the engine is still very strong as are the brakes and suspension.

Only niggles are that I need to replace the rear wiper motor (still haven't worked out how to remove old one without smashing the glass), change clutch and gearbox oil, and fix an oil leak in the engine.

It could probably use a really good valet as well.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 10:48
rikky 🦔

Post #11
mine's on 135k now, paintwork is in need of tidying up but it's a beast - absolutely 100% the most reliable of the many 306's i've ever owned [touch wood]

put my last 2 stockpiled Eagle F1's on it the other week, 2 new Toyo's on the front, a service, an MOT and that's it since buying it 18 months ago - other than swapping the exhaust off it and fixing the door wiring loom

if anything serious ever happens to it that's going to cost me over £300 to fix, i'll just break it up and buy another Yes teetering on the edge of getting rid of it but it's a great car for running shit to the tip and also tidies up quickly into a decent everyday wagon

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 11:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
One of the things I love about my car is that I don't really care too much about it, it has no massive financial value in it, so I can just enjoy it for what it is.

At Rockingham on Monday I had a bit of a moment which involved me progressing somewhat sideways towards a wall. At no point was I actually that bothered, and just said "Interesting..." to the passenger as we scooted along happily before coming to a rest about a foot away from it.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 11:03
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
That is the problem with mine, would quite like something else and buy a standard six to turn into a track car, but I'd lose too much to sell mine now.

So I counteract that by spending more on it.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 11:43
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Well mine is currently either in the shape of a cube or in the shape of an RSJ.

The overhauled engine was reliable and ran very quietly but the body work was pants. I cut my loses and broke the poor thing. If I did bother to respray it, it would have been one of the best Astor's around.

f*ck it, long live the ZX (at least til the tax expires and that too is used as a railway track) MPG, not MPH, is the name of the game now!

Deepak Gohil

Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 18:47
footah212

Senior User

Post #15
Mine's 114k on clock and still running well(touch wood). Does need constant maintenance though. Certianly would not want to be paying a proper garage for this as it would quickly mount up to more than the value of the car.

Interior is pretty much mint, bodywork is good but does have stone chips and dings you would expect from a 13 year old.

These cars have a rawness that makes thrashing them great.

I love the thing to bits thbLove

Phase 2 Blaze GTi6

PS3 - Black Ops 2

Engine crane for hire Renfrewshire
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 19:43
throughlou

Junior User

Post #16
142k here sorted out most of the problems, just got rear shocks left to do now
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 20:21