displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: :( slight problem.... with door speakers
judge dead

Regular

Post #1
ok so one door speaker was f'ed so i thought to my self ill use this halfords voucher up and get speakers so long story short got a pair of 60 quid door speakers these ones >> http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_773357_langId_-1_categoryId_165707#dtab

but once i plugged them into the car the sound is like 30% of sound the stock ones produce i only plugged the speaker in tho i didnt hook up mini speaker that came with it or hook it to an amp. anyone suggest where im going wrong?
Posted 26th Sep 2011 at 18:31
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #2
1. The tweeter is not connected.

2. You will need an amp to get the most out of them.

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 26th Sep 2011 at 18:36
judge dead

Regular

Post #3
by the tweeter you mean the mini speaker that comes with it? i dont know nothing about sound systems i thought i would just get a set of speakers and be done with it Sad lol
Posted 26th Sep 2011 at 18:38
dan86

Senior User

Post #4
Sounds like you bought component speakers where the big speaker does the low and mid range sounds and the small tweeters do the higher frequency sounds. Some of the sound is lost because the tweeters are not connected. Most components come with separate crossovers to filter the frequencies to each speaker component. Do you have these?

Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 21:03
judge dead

Regular

Post #5
i have x2 big speakers x2 mini speakers and x2 blocks with wires coming out them 2 are blank solderd and 2 are live and earth on both blocks have no idea how to wire them up
Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 21:04
dan86

Senior User

Post #6
The blocks are the crossovers (frequency blockers) they will cut the low bass frequencies so you can play them really loud. You will need a sub woofer to add the bass back to the overall system. If you don't have a sub then there must be a way of wiring them up to allow the bass to the larger door speaker. The small tweeters will need to be filtered though otherwise they will get damaged. check the wiring diagram as it will show you if there are different ways of wiring them for different applications. I expect the door wiring of the 306 needs to go to the crossover first, then distributed to each component speaker.

Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 21:29