displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: dtm splitter
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
im contemplatign buying a phase one dtm splitter off ebay. seeing as my cars black and white already i will be lazy and not paint it.

i think i already know the answer to this however

does the splitter improve performance or is it purely for show?

thanks in advance for your replies
james

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 11:57
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Minor improvements to under car turbulence, but probably only going 90+. Touring cars spend tons on wind tunnel development, and will probably have a fully flat underside to shave off a few fractions of a second per lap. They can make your car look more individual, but I wouldnt expect anything from performance.

The best ways to make a 6 faster are, expensive tyres, improved brakes, suspension refresh, and some track lessons.

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 12:20
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
as i thought Smile thanks for the info. ill get it for looks then Razz

i have some toyo proxes on some 205 gti rims they seem more than adequate. was contemplating getting nitrogen in them, what do you reacon to this?

as for brakes i just replaced the fluid and they seem brand new again. trhe suspension refresh is ont he way. need reconditioned beam Sad new front sub fram and anti roll bar
track rod ends. and a ball ache doing so Sad

never mind still a brilliant car regardless

Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 12:39
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
No point with nitrogen as every time you top up the tyres you'll be reducing the nitrogen % content. It's only the uber geeky too that use it.

A splitter will work better if it extends under the engine to a flat underbody and a diffuser. A simple corner splitter won't do much at all.

I'm looking at making a ¼" plywood one with a view to moulding it out of carbon when i get back into work, would cost more than i can afford at the minute. Also need to take engine bay ventilation into account too, needs to create low pressure under the subframe area to draw out the hot air. A closed splitter risks overheating as the engine bay air stalls and can't go anywhere. Bit of geekery but will be fun experimenting...

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 17:20
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
the nitrogen thing was a whim, heard about it on top gear, saw that quick fit do it for a pound a tyre. A bit pricey but as a refrigeration and ac engineer i can get nitrogen as well as many other gasses for free : D

sounds like a rather laborious process but like me if your hearts set on it go for it, out of interest i want a phase 1 carbon fibre bonnet, can you make one and how much?

Thanks, james

Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 13:18
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
the nitrogen thing was a whim, heard about it on top gear, saw that quick fit do it for a pound a tyre. A bit pricey but as a refrigeration and ac engineer i can get nitrogen as well as many other gasses for free : D

sounds like a rather laborious process but like me if your hearts set on it go for it, out of interest i want a phase 1 carbon fibre bonnet, can you make one and how much?

Thanks, james

Posted 28th Sep 2011 at 13:19