displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: Goodbye
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Well after 5 and a half years I'm off.

Biggest mistake ever changing the forum and I'm just glad my last post before this was a meatspin that caught someone out LOL

See you guys around, it's been fun!

Wave
Posted 23rd Sep 2011 at 20:12
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #2
FOYC Wave

/Thread
Posted 23rd Sep 2011 at 20:13
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #3
Wave

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 23rd Sep 2011 at 20:30
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Later pal Wave

Pugzy...aka Mike Thumbs up

Ex-Platinum silver 306 GTi6 owner...now an Ex-Scarlet Red 406 3ltr V6 Coupe owner too Sad

Now driving a China Blue 106 1.5 Diesel..."The Money-Saving and Debt-Busting Machine" LOL
Posted 24th Sep 2011 at 00:34
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #5

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 24th Sep 2011 at 00:42
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Sad Wave
there's no sad wave

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 24th Sep 2011 at 12:15
jamesgti6

Regular

Post #7
gilesy wrote:

Biggest mistake ever changing the forum

Team Manstone
Posted 24th Sep 2011 at 12:21
anth_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
gilesy wrote:

really...? so Ash has fixed the slowness, kept the style, and left you with free access to the general forum and you think that's not good enough and you cant afford £5 a year for full access.

glad your leaving if that's how much support you are willing to put in Thumbs up

ex white Phase 1 Gti6, killed at cadwell park in November 07
Posted 24th Sep 2011 at 23:45
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Wave

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 00:12
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
anth_gti6 wrote:
gilesy wrote:

really...? so Ash has fixed the slowness, kept the style, and left you with free access to the general forum and you think that's not good enough and you cant afford £5 a year for full access.

glad your leaving if that's how much support you are willing to put in Thumbs up

True but it's the principle, people are getting p*ssed off with changes to the way the forum works and aren't happy paying for what could be deemed an inferior product.

I'm of the opinion of f*ck it, it's only a fiver. But there's lots of things I don't like about the new forum, the parts for sale changes being the latest.

For instance, i'd have to pay another fiver to subscribe to my own threads that i was subscribed to on the old forum. I had a 25 page project thread that I now no longer receive updates for and half the people involved in the feedback on that thread haven't paid for membership so the thread's basically dying a death now.

I paid so I could ask for advice on the odd niggling problem I can't fix. But people who DON'T need to ask for advice, ie the ones who are worth asking, haven't paid the fees as they're happy with the free access and there's less knowledge passed around as a result. Could always try searching but some unknown reason there's STILL no search bar!

I'm feeling the same as a lot of people it seems but I don't care about having my money back, if it helps me fix one problem with the motor i've made my money back. I just don't think the changes are helping the forum in any way apart from the speed increase but Ash is having DNS issues with the site which, after months of waiting and promises and all this talk about an uber forum, is just disappointing.

And now it feels like he's making changes just because he can. Site sponsorship aye fine, understandable, but long serving members are asking for their money back now which is a pretty sorry state of affairs. Meanwhile that *other* 306 site is going as strong as ever and i'm finding myself over there more often now. It only cost an extra quid a year more than here and you get FULL access too. Don't understand the reasoning behind a £20 membership level over here Dunno

More of a /moan than a /rant. Meh.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 00:31
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
cwspellowe wrote:
<general mangled ranting>

Hear hear.

I have no problem with paying for sites if they're worth the money, I completely appreciate the time and effort that goes into making and running them because I do it as a job. However I also know it's a 30-second fix to put the search button back in. It's another 30-second fix to put a link to the classifieds on the main page. I don't even bother slating noobs for their spelling, grammar and lack of searching anymore, as how can you when there's no search button?!

Before the "new site", so many people had so many good ideas. Ratings on sellers, categorisation on parts for sale, easier addition of links and images, really good suggestions for banners. All technically possible and simple to implement. Then the new site came along, and all of these had been ignored and I simply don't understand why. I've had a few chats with Ash about hosting and the suchlike and he seems like a genuinely nice guy, but I regretfully think a ball has very much hit the ground here.

There's still time to claw it back, but as has been pointed out - fair enough do what you like when no-one's paying. But once people are parting with their cash to use your service they become your customers, and any company who does not listen to its customers is foolish and will go under.

See you all at 306gti7.com Wink

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 09:43
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #12
I don't think it would of been taken half as badly if people were asked about their thoughts rather than changing things, and waiting for feedback after.

The classifieds for vehicles was hated by almost everyone, then the parts was shut all of a sudden with no notice.

I'm glad I gave it some time to fall into place before I decided on my chosen level of membership. Was originally toying over the £10 or £20 option. You can see by my current membership level of what i'm currently thinking LOL

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 09:56
    smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
    I have agreed with everything except the for sale section changes.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
    Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 14:49
    arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
    I wouldn't pay the full wack, for one thing I don't currently own a 6 but I like to see how members Projects are coming on and I do thoroughly enjoy the banter Thumbs up Even if the whole change thing is not completely to my liking. I will say I miss seeing the little Nile 6 at the top of the page Sad Ninja

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
    2008 BMW ///M 320d
    Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 16:46
    paul_13

Senior User

Post #15
    And now the thread about everyone hating the new classified has been locked, typical.
    I think your on a power trip ash. Sort it out, this is our money your playing with here.

205 GTI6- Rebuilt engine, lightened flywheel, lightened pulley, 307 hdi brakes, Koni struts on gravel spec springs, 22mm TB's, 24mm ARB, Roll cage, Citreon ZX rear dampers, SL434's, Xsara box, Quickrack, Pipercross enclosed induction kit. Smile

Private work, not a prob Smile
    Posted 26th Sep 2011 at 10:07
    captainash Admin

Post #16
    paul_13 wrote:
    And now the thread about everyone hating the new classified has been locked, typical.
    I think your on a power trip ash.

Quite right.

paul_13 wrote:
    Sort it out, this is our money your playing with here.

And you wonder why I'm locking threads. WTF do you think I'm doing? If I did nothing, this site would get stagnant and old. I've put literally hundreds of hours of my own time into it and the first thing everyone does is complain.

Thanks for the support everyone, really. If going without a Parts For Sale forum for a week is worth leaving for, then seriously ... GTFO.

quote:
    Ash is in charge, from afar
    Posted 26th Sep 2011 at 10:18

This thread has been locked