displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Any DNS experts? Nameserver trouble
captainash Admin

Post #1
Since we moved to this new site, we're having all sorts of weird DNS-related problems. WorldPay sometimes can't see the site, some people are getting 'domain not resolved', and some email to me gets rejected.

The only thing I can put it down to is a rogue DNS record in a nameserver somewhere. Does anyone know enough about nameservers to find out what the problem might be?

We currently use ns.306gti6.com and ns2.123-reg.co.uk

I've contacted 123-reg to ask if they can check theirs, but any help would be most appreciated.

quote:
Ash is in charge, from afar
Posted 23rd Sep 2011 at 11:47
webster

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
NSLookup just shows ns.306gti6.com which resolves to 80.82.125.196

Suggests the problem is on your nameserver.

123-reg are pretty solid, perhaps move the DNS over to them, but take into consideration there may be some downtime during propagation.

If you do move, take into account that any future changes the TTL will be whatever their server is set to, which is one of downsides to not hosting your own.

cress87 wrote:
I'm stopped for speeding on a daily basis but now the police are aware that I live for the 306 they dare not interfere, just sit in their cars quaking as I drive past.
Posted 23rd Sep 2011 at 12:01
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #3
Owain is your man. Although it's £20 PA for his services IIRC.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 23rd Sep 2011 at 12:05
    rikky 🦔

Post #4
    i had my nameservers on my own site set so i could have ns1/ns2.rxxxx.net. i had dns issues aswell and once i reverted back to the host's main nameservers it was fine

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
    306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
    gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
    winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
    Posted 23rd Sep 2011 at 12:10
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
    Ash - making any change to the DNS zone file (and so updating its serial number) should re-propogate the DNS around the world.

Just make a change, add a dummy A record or something - that will update the serial number, other people's nameservers will then spot there's a new version and will completely re-cache the lot Yes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
    Posted 23rd Sep 2011 at 20:41
    captainash Admin

Post #6
    webzta wrote:
    NSLookup just shows ns.306gti6.com which resolves to 80.82.125.196

Suggests the problem is on your nameserver.

That's the right IP address.

I've run various online tools that test the DNS from different locations. Sometimes it comes back with both, sometimes with only one, sometimes none at all Dunno

quote:
    Posted 24th Sep 2011 at 02:55
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
    Ash - any idea what the TTL is on the domain name? All zone records have a Time To Live, which basically means "how long should third parties cache this record before reloading it" - it should be set to 24 hours (86400) but can be reduced down to five minutes or so if you know you'll be making changes in the near future.

If that's set to something higher than 24 hours, people will be caching stuff for far too long Yes

Posted 24th Sep 2011 at 10:19
    captainash Admin

Post #8
    I thought that was down to each server?

quote:
    Posted 24th Sep 2011 at 11:31
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
    Technically it is - but they *should* (if sticking to the best practises) read the TTL from the zone file.

This is the header from my owainnorth.co.uk zone:

@ IN SOA ns1.titaninternet.co.uk. support.titaninternet.co.uk. (
    2011030901 ; serial number
    900 ; refresh
    300 ; retry
    604800 ; expire
    3600 ) ; minimum TTL

The serial number (most people use the date it was last edited so it will always increase, but essentially the larger number is a newer record) - the minimum TTL (5 minutes in my case) is a record which says "we strongly recommend you clear this from your cache every five minutes". Obviously people can choose to ignore this in order to reduce load on their servers, but most large and respectable companies take note of it.

When we're doing a site move we change the TTL from 24 hours to 5 minutes (obviously has to be done more than 24 hours before, as other people will still have the 86400 TTL cached). This means when we come to change DNS, the majority of people will get the change within five minutes rather than 24 hours. It also makes it quicker to change DNS back if there's a problem with the new site.

If someone else's nameserver (BT for example) gets a request for 306gti6.com, it looks up the time it last cached it and its TTL. If the zone is still within its TTL, it just returns its own local copy. If it's expired, it looks to the authoritative nameservers (ns.306gti6.com and ns2.123-reg.co.uk) and asks for the latest serial number of that zone. If the latest version is higher than the cached version, it reloads the entire zone. If it's lower or the same, it doesn't bother.

Therefore normally just updating the serial number (by changing a record if you can't do it manually) is enough to flush the new settings around the globe. Just make sure it's on no more than a 24-hour TTL, else people will end up caching it for days, and any changes you make won't be reflected.

Having a look, I think the problem's with ns2.123-reg.co.uk. Doing a manual DNS lookup:

C:UsersOwain>nslookup
    Default Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.232.10

> server NS.306GTI6.COM << query this nameserver
    Default Server: NS.306GTI6.COM
    Address: 80.82.125.196

> 306gti6.com << look for this record
    Server: NS.306GTI6.COM
    Address: 80.82.125.196 << finds it fine

Name: 306gti6.com
    Address: 80.82.125.196

> server NS2.123-REG.CO.UK << query this nameserver
    *** Can't find address for server NS2.123-REG.CO.UK: Non-authoritative answer

Looks like ns2.123-reg.co.uk isn't a valid nameserver. Therefore anyone trying to query that one will have problems. I notice not even 123-reg use that as a nameserver, they use ns2.webfusion.co.uk.

I'd check what the nameservers are meant to be, as that looks like a prime candidate for problems Yes

Posted 24th Sep 2011 at 11:48
    thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
    Is this why 306gti6.com Google I feel lucky either brings you here, takes you to a youtube video or goes f*ck off never heard of it?

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 2nd Oct 2011 at 20:14
    rikky 🦔

Post #11
    i still get this issue

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
    306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
    gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
    winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
    Posted 2nd Oct 2011 at 20:42
    owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
    thugpuggin wrote:
    Is this why 306gti6.com Google I feel lucky either brings you here, takes you to a youtube video or goes f*ck off never heard of it?

Yup, it'll pick one of the nameservers at random and ask it for the main A record for the domain. If it gets the knackered one it just gets back a "never heard of it, no idea" message and can't do any more.

Posted 2nd Oct 2011 at 21:05