displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: 1 video, 3 problems with SC'd lump :(
funkymonk

Regular

Post #1
I've just changed the engine in my car, has had a rebuilt head, new HG and bolts aswell as a new cambelt, tensioners and water pump. It is also supercharged and I have three problems which can all be heard in the attached vid :S .

1 - What is the squealing noise just before she actually starts?
2 - What is the funny noise that hopefully sounds not quite tappy enough to be top end failure?
3 - Why won't she hold revs below about 2k rpm? At the end of the vid I applied enough throttle to hit 2k and held it, but as you can see it died :S

Sensor wiring was modified for SC but have checked them all, and sensors were all being used on last engine with no issues. Getting quite annoyed with it now to be honest!

Cheers

Video

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't...
Posted 19th Sep 2011 at 17:27
greenbelt

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
How many miles are on the engine since the rebuild?

1 - The squealing could be the cambelt tension is too tight Dunno
2 - If it hasn't done many miles it could be that the tappets haven't filled up with oil properly.
3 - Try cleaning the map sensor with carb cleaner, and the icv too.

I have the dodgy idle problem with my engine, and sometimes the revs drop when I press the throttle. And it stalls every now and then.

Standard Black 6
Black HBSC6 Smoke
Posted 19th Sep 2011 at 21:22
funkymonk

Regular

Post #3
Cheers Greenbelt, engine has now covered 40 easy road miles and a lot of idling. Got the cambelt checked today and he said the tension is all good, that was my first thought too. He thinks that perhaps the startup noise and there is a scratchy noise like a release bearing going, coming from the bellhousing area but which doesn't go away when the clutch is depressed, may be the starter motor not disengaging properly?

I'm going to get it down to Rich now it is on the road to sort out whatever electrical muppetry I've managed, the main thing is just the noise that is similar to a blowing exhaust, or really deep sounding bent valves, I know peugeot engines aren't the quietest and most refined but I'm sure it didn't sound so nasty before!!

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't...
Posted 20th Sep 2011 at 23:12
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Has the gearbox been changed because it might be a locating dowel that was forgotten to be put back into the new gearbox for the starter motor. That noise sounds familiar.

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 21st Sep 2011 at 08:35
greenbelt

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Good shout Paul. I forgot about that... again LOL

Standard Black 6
Black HBSC6 Smoke
Posted 21st Sep 2011 at 17:55
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
LOL I'll never forget to check that again.

Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 21st Sep 2011 at 22:56
mabgti

NV motors

Post #7
What greenbelt said, but the most common idle and running issues is down to boost pipe/manifold leak.

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 21st Sep 2011 at 23:22
funkymonk

Regular

Post #8
Cheers Gents,

Haven't checked the dowel yet, I think I remember seeing it but I may be suffering some kind of delusion having played with french car parts for too long! Have had boost pipework off and checked it all, also tried spraying easy start around whilst running with no effect, replaced ICV which helped a little but it still doesn't always idle, changed crank sensor for a known good one as well and tried unplugging PAS sensor. Cleaned MAP up but will get it on diagnostic machine before I shell out for another new one :S

So currently it doesn't like starting, when cold it will not idle but as soon as it has been running a few minutes it behaves pretty well. And the engine still sounds a little unhealthy IMO as it has a rebuilt head, good bottom end, new cambelt, all tensioners & pulleys, waterpump and new head gasket I know they are not the most refined engines in the world but it seems a tad excessive. I'm taking to Lynx this week to see what Mr Walker makes of it and if he finds nothing perhaps fire is the answer!

Posted 18th Oct 2011 at 15:48
greenbelt

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
funkymonk wrote:
perhaps fire is the answer!

LOL Thought that a few times myself

Keep the faith, it's worth it Yes

Standard Black 6
Black HBSC6 Smoke
Posted 18th Oct 2011 at 21:14
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Definatly think you should checked the locating dowel on the starter motor, only a few bolts. That noise is really famililar the more i listen to it. With that missing mine tried cutting out a lot too, I think the starter gets jammed of which stalls the car as mine wanted to cut out too.

Worth a 5 minute check.

Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 19th Oct 2011 at 13:16
funkymonk

Regular

Post #11
Ok have checked the dowel and unfortunately it is in there :S couldn't be that simple lol. Changed the starter over to my old one as it is known to work and it was exactly the same, also on first start was sounding like it was catching the flywheel or something, was a definate odd noise coming from the starter which hasn't changed with a different one, which is confusing!!

Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 23:02
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Really confusing. Dodging ground on the gearbox? These can cause odds and troublesome starts.

Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 21st Oct 2011 at 15:30