displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Throttle body porting
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Aimed at Ash mainly but he's not a paid member so Dunno..

On the BTCC throttle bodies, have they only been ported pre-butterfly? Going off tobeski's thread here it seems like it's only the area around the IAT sensor that has been machined, hence losing the progressive first 1/3 of throttle control.

Considering getting the dremel out on a spare body. Spending that much time redesigning the inlet setup I figured it might be worth a few hours of grinding. Anything to reduce turbulence, right?

Also Mei, didn't you get one off someone a few years ago?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 00:21
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
nope, adam had one i think.

btcc cars didnt use stock tb's afaik, i thought they had to use a std size item for regs.

wouldnt bother faffing tbh, given its the same casting the v6 engine uses

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 00:41
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #3
Agreed, its the diameters of the runners on the plenum and the valve throat area that are the biggest restrictions. Forget doing anything like that with a dremel though, you need a long series industrial die grinder or serious motor and a flexishaft whith a 2omm allicut burr on the end of it to be able to do the job in a sensible timeframe. Either that or slice the manifold in half which you have to do to get at it al properly anyway. But unless you have all the cams, valves, exhaust etc. uprated to match it won't help you anyway.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 08:56
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Sounds like a man talking from experience Jim Whistle

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 12:38
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #5
cjm_harris wrote:
Sounds like a man talking from experience Jim Whistle

You could say that Wink

Its worth noting that any mods done to create more airflow will actually loose you power unless accompanied by a remap as the car will run leaner and make less power.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 14:09
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
True davey, eveything up til now though hasn't created more airflow by mass, just better directed.

Bottom end and midrange torque feels hugely improved with the straight induction setup though. I was just thinking that a mild port/polish would be a good thing with minimum turbulence from the inlet tract

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 18:38
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
cwspellowe wrote:
True davey, eveything up til now though hasn't created more airflow by mass, just better directed.

Bottom end and midrange torque feels hugely improved with the straight induction setup though. I was just thinking that a mild port/polish would be a good thing with minimum turbulence from the inlet tract

Does your new air intake setup work well then? better than standard? I only ask because frankly it just looks laughable! LOL Flowers

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 18:47
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Laughable? I hope you mean about the brown plastic pipe as that's long gone now!

Does seem to have made a difference, low RPM pickup seems much better, but no facts or figures I can throw at you.

Not finished yet anyway, still need to make the airbox and inlet duct Whistle

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 19:00
matt_gti

Senior User

Post #9
When doing these sort of mods the biggest difference I think you feel is in the pick up on low revs. Will look at doing this on my 6 at some point but probably won't have the time or the tools to remove that much material. I did port a few 205 gti TB's with again the same differences in pick up.

306 GTI-6
205 GTI-6 Project
205 1.6 GTI - RIP
205 1.9 TT - RIP
E39 535i - Daily driver
*Newest edition* E60 M5 5l v10 - The weekend car Smile
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 23:00
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
It's a waste of time doing anything to the throttle body.

As others have said that's not where the restriction is, the air velocity is relatively low there compared to other areas of the engine.

I doubt the standard T/B would be the limiting factor in terms of peak power until your past 250 BHP.

In terms of turbulence - turbulance is good to get an even AFR accross the intake charge, and a consistent burn. Laminar flow won't properly mix the air and fuel, and is likely to have rich / lean areas within the intake charge, which won't burn as cleanly.

Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 15th Sep 2011 at 15:56
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Wait, having had a look at it today, I see why "throttle response is improved"... there's a stepped bit blocking half the butterfly up to 1/3 throttle, throttle response must only feel better as that progressive restriction is removed and more air gets in at part throttle. Doesn't make any difference at WOT from what I see.

Oh well.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 15th Sep 2011 at 19:40
matt_gti

Senior User

Post #12
Doesn't turbulence happen mainly in the inlet as is enters the head and when fuel is added so most of the mixing is done just before the valves as it enters the cylinders?, hence it not being a good idea to 'polish' the inlets as the AFR won't mix properly.

306 GTI-6
205 GTI-6 Project
205 1.6 GTI - RIP
205 1.9 TT - RIP
E39 535i - Daily driver
*Newest edition* E60 M5 5l v10 - The weekend car Smile
Posted 16th Sep 2011 at 09:12