displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Rattle Can Refurb Cost
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #1
Anyone that's refurbed a set of 'clones before how many cans did you go through? Primer, paint, lacquer?

I've got a set here that are a bit curbed and i'm debating if it's worth refurbing them or just flogging them as they are.
Posted 13th Sep 2011 at 19:55
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Refurb FAQ 1

Refurb FAQ 2

Pretty sure one of them will cover it off. From memory I used about two cans of primer and 4 of paint. Two of lacquer IIRC.

Tbh it depends how kerbed they are - if it's only a little, get them powdercoated (£200) then sell them. You'd be surprised how much the filler, primer, paint and lacquer will end up costing Yes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 13th Sep 2011 at 20:05
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Depends how well you cover them!

Think I first did mine with two cans of primer, three basecoat and three lacquer which coped ok but wasn't perfect.

Get your paint from an auto paint shop instead of Halfords and expect to pay about £40 for paint and maybe another £10 for various sandpaper grades

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 13th Sep 2011 at 20:07
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #4
cwspellowe wrote:
Depends how well you cover them!

Think I first did mine with two cans of primer, three basecoat and three lacquer which coped ok but wasn't perfect.

Get your paint from an auto paint shop instead of Halfords and expect to pay about £40 for paint and maybe another £10 for various sandpaper grades

Hmm yeah I thought it would be about £50 quid. I reckon they are worth about £110 currently, hmm...

owain wrote:
Refurb FAQ 1

Refurb FAQ 2

Pretty sure one of them will cover it off. From memory I used about two cans of primer and 4 of paint. Two of lacquer IIRC.

Tbh it depends how kerbed they are - if it's only a little, get them powdercoated (£200) then sell them. You'd be surprised how much the filler, primer, paint and lacquer will end up costing Yes

Cheers, they aren't too bad, might need a tiny bit of wheel putty stuff. Powdercoating is a no go, by the time i've paid someone to take the tyres off etc. When do cyclones sell for £200+
Posted 13th Sep 2011 at 22:33
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Rarely. If they're mint they'll sell eventually but may take a while.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 00:13
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Bear in mind if they're badly kerbed you'll want to factor in some epoxy filler and the time taken to do that, but once you've fillered them you can never have them powder coated.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 14th Sep 2011 at 07:51
pebbles167

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
3 Primers, 2 Paints, 1 Lacquer and some really shit sandpaper iirc. All from Halfords. costing around £25ish Thumbs up

Depends how good you want them to look i spose, i rushed my wheels and they turned out pretty good, but guys who do a better job have given mixed reviews of halfords paint.

2005 Peugeot 206 GTI 180

2008 BMW K1200R
Posted 22nd Sep 2011 at 18:40
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I ended up spending more than £100 on paint and materials when i did my wheels a few years ago. I didnt use rattle cans but borrowed a compressor and spray gun.

I've found out the hard way that halfords paint isnt petrol resistant, not that it would matter too much on wheels but in the engine bay if you have a little fuel leak it plays havoc with the paint. Doh LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 23rd Sep 2011 at 16:42
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
When i painted my cyclones white a splash from a petrol spump nozzle landed on the back wheel. Thought nothing of it, got home, washed the car and it had stripped the clear and stained the paint dirty, had to repaint the whole wheel.

You can get petrol resistant clear in cans though, basecoat doesn't matter

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 23rd Sep 2011 at 23:46
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Yeah, i wish i had thought to use petrol resistant stuff in my engine bay, it never occurred to me when i was painting my engine bay that i may get the odd leak, now my cylinder block is a faded orange from fuel rail issues and the side of the bay where the stupid plastic angled fuel connectors are is stripped and its nearly impossible to get to with more paint with all the lines and engine in there. Doh

Goldie the track car.
Posted 24th Sep 2011 at 09:41