displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: tap and oil pressure
mjt4130

Regular

Post #1
Decided to start the car today after a few months of it being stood. It started on first turn of the key and ran fine except for a tapping from near the cam pulley. Switched engine off and re started, still tapped. Gave engine some revs and the noise stopped. Any ideas what this could be? I was under the impression that you get max oil pressure at idle, so what difference did some throttle make?
Posted 10th Sep 2011 at 21:18
pug-gti6

Regular

Post #2
Probably because all the oil had drained out of the tappets while it was stood and takes a while for the oil to get up there and fill them up again. Throttle obviously just made it happen a bit faster.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 10th Sep 2011 at 21:40
mjt4130

Regular

Post #3
Seems fine nowThumbs up
Posted 12th Sep 2011 at 21:37
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
What he said ^^^

Often happens on cars with hydraulic tappets when they've been sitting, nothing to worry about.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 13th Sep 2011 at 08:22
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #5
You don't get full oil pressure at idle, you can aid the filling of the tappets by blipping the throttle to speed up the oil pump as it's driven off the end of the crank and from memory the pump spins at around half crankshaft speed.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 13th Sep 2011 at 18:04