displaying posts 1 to 25 of 186

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Sundance 2.0
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
(AKA the colour formerly known as sigma Laugh)

Righty ho, figured i'd start a new thread seen as the car is almost completely different now from the car it once was.

To summarise, this:

Now looks like this:

You can see the original project thread HERE if you're in any way bothered about reading 20 pages of nonsense.

As it stands:

P-reg Peugeot 306 GTi6 phase 1 converted to phase 2.5/3 (ish)

Engine:

2.0 16v XU10J4RS with aircon on approx 147,000 miles
Full head rebuild by previous owner at approx 110,000 miles (former snapper)
Carbon enclosed induction kit
Helmholtz resonator on inlet manifold blocked off
Advanced inlet cam timing
PTFE inlet manifold gasket
Standard genuine BOSAL exhaust system and cat
New ICV, MAP, green and brown temp sensors

Last RR'd April 2011 at a lumpy 175bhp and 147lbft with blowing Magnex stainless steel system and Freeflow decat and a couple of dodgy sensors.

Transmission:

Standard 6 speed gearbox
New genuine clutch cable
New genuine three part clutch kit
New nylon clutch arm bushes
Miles' Group N gear linkages
GE quick shift

Engine bay:

Battery relocated to boot with in-line killswitch
Painted head and inlet manifold with "ooh, shiny bits" sticker
Battery box cut down to hold ECU, killswitch and brake bias valve
Anodised blue oil catch tank
Helmholtz resonator removed from inlet manifold
Air con pipes removed

Suspension:

OEM front dampers with Spax -40mm progressive springs
All suspension components replaced with new parts, inc
Wishbones
Balljoints
Top mounts
Bearings
Track rod ends and steering arms
Drop links
ARB bushes
New subframe
Group N lower engine mount and chocked upper mount
Refurbished rear beam lowered 40mm
Citroen ZX Volcane rear shocks
New rear beam mounts

Brakes:

GTI6 front calipers with 283mm Brembo discs and OEM pads
All new copper pipes from MC to flexi's
ABS removed
Rear compensator replaced with Compbrake bias valve
Rear calipers rebuilt with OEM discs and pads and new bleed nipples
New rear disc protectors

Wheels:

Speedline Challenge 2110 16x7 refurbished in anthracite
205/45/16 tyres
20mm hubcentric spacers and extended bolts

Exterior:

Phase 3 front bumper
Phase 3 bonnet
Phase 3 grille
Graphite grey phase 3 rubstrips and fuel cap trims
New black masked Depo headlights with white LED sidelights and +90% H7's all round
Pulled arches
Graphite grey bonnet badge
Smoked side repeaters
HEKO wind deflectors
Phase 3 boot lock
Badges sprayed graphite grey
Full respray in sundance yellow
Roof and bonnet sprayed gloss black
Stickerbombed rear window

Interior:

Standard GTI6 leather/alcantara seats
Blue S16 carpet
Black GTi6 embroidered mats
Blue stitched gear stick gaiter
Metal Monkey dials
Metal monkey heater controls
Carbon fibre mirror blanks
Stickerbombed glovebox
White LED courtesy lights
Blue LED dash and centre console
RMD suede 330mm steering wheel
Phase 3 fascia with cigarette lighter and rear fog switch moved to blank under driver's vent
Black A,B,C pillars
Black interior light surround
Custom home made sub enclosure and false floor
Phase 3 stealth shelf

ICE:

Sendai cheap crappy head unit with USB and iPod interface
Alpine SXE 1725S fronts
Standard rears
Mutant 4-channel amp
Mutant 12" sub fitted to custom enclosure

Bloody hell, took me ages to write all that and i'm now concerned about how much i've spent. That's a list of everything on the car at the minute, never mind the phase 1 stuff I got rid of!

My last update was two weeks ago now and the car only just got back on the road yesterday. To recap, this is what I posted last

quote:
Right, bit of f*ckery pokey means an update!

As it stood, the car needed a new beam or a refurb and I was planning on raising it, 60mm drop is a bit impractical for my liking at the car was bumpsteering thanks to mahoosive bump stops.

First on the list.. new struts. Well not new, but decent condition OE dampers and Spax 40mm springs. They were bought quite swiftly.

Then the problem of the rear beam. Upon inspection of mine, the shafts were a bit buggered and for the cost of parts to rebuild the beam I figured I could scavenge one already done. Up steps gota6again who ISN'T called Deepak (apparently LOL) with a 40mm lowered, recently rebuilt, shiny looking beam with working calipers, discs, pads, mounts, everything apart from dampers, for the bargain price of £200 + delivery. Hooray! Not hooray when I got f*cked over by Shitty Link for delivery though, more later.

Whilst the car was up on axle stands with the struts and rear beam removed I figured i'd get to work on some other jobs.

First up - ABS removal. I decided a while ago that I needed the space behind the headlight for my airbox plans and was waiting for the right time to remove the pump and lines. My original calipers had snapped nipples that I couldn't be arsed extracting, retapping and replacing so I couldn't do anything to do with bleeding the system. When I found out the beam came with working nipples I set to work stripping out all 60-odd feet of brake lines and 5kg or so of ABS pump.

New lines (35ft not including flexi's) were laid, the front brake split off one T and the rears off another T via a bias valve. Total cost? £25 for the lines to be made by a motorfactor inc fittings, £10 for brake fluid, £45 for the bias valve.. ah, not quite a cheap idea then. Oh well.

New lines..

No ABS pump or battery

Rear a little too long, had to loop it a bit to tidy it up

Excellent. Waiting for the bias valve to arrive, hopefully tomorrow, and can get the system bled once the beam is on.

Speaking of which..

Cool

Will probably underseal it to keep it fresh before it goes on, i've only got black though and i've already done this...

New shocks and springs and undersealed arches

Rear arches

Boot floor before

After

Tidying up nicely ready for its MOT next month.

As it stands at the minute...

Hopefully have her back on the road for the weekend so I can go for a drive, been without it 2 weeks now and it's starting to get annoying.

I hate being poor.

I hated what happened next even more...

Rear - 40mm. Fronts? On the bumpstops. Turned out the sprigs were designed for 1.4's, 1.6's, 1.9's.. not the big lump of a GTI6 front end. So the -40mm struts were actually lower than the -60mm Gmax kit I had on with no play in the suspension at all. Couldn't drive it even down the drive! Back up it went then...

Whilst it was up I thought i'd better investigate a clunking noise coming from the front N/S. Had a poke around and noticed a bit of play in the wishbone bushes so I got the 18mm out and found the front bolt didn't want to come out, just spin and spin. The diagnosis? A sheared bolt in the middle of the bush. It had sheared in such a way the the half bolt couldn't be withdrawn and was trying to take the inner metal casing of the bush with it. That was NEVER going to come out. New subframe needed then, great.

Tried to remove the old wishbones with a view to replacing the damaged bushes and using the Meyle heavy duty P-bushes I got off Kris B. Unfortunately they'd disintegrated after less than 12 months, hardly heavy duty. So I had a choice. New bushes and **** about fitting them to the old wishbones, or new wishbones with bushes pressed on. Yeah, I took the easy option. Taking advantage of a 30% discount on the ECP website these turned up a couple of days later

and I went about fitting the month old ball joints from the old wishbones. All neatly built up, I just needed a new subframe. A trip to the scrappies revealed a 306 that had been lovingly raised up to have the engine removed and not dropped back down, so half and hour removing the wishbones and steering rack, a couple of hours cleaning up and several lashings of black underseal left me with this

Hooray! Time to put the car back together along with the -40mm struts actually designed for the GTI6.

Ooh here's the bias valve for anyone interested. Tapped to M10 so no need for 3/8" to M10 adapters.

And also the phase 3 boot badge I stole from the scrappies. Wound out the boot spacers too to stop the really annoying rattle I was getting from the boot lid. *shuts boot* Sounds like a Golf now LOL:

That's all for now, car feels brand new with no play in anything. Also the tracking has gone WAY out now, compared new and old wishbones and the N/S was bent like hell! Must have been during the winter when it took a whack, probably what sheared the bolt too. Had it tracked and it's lined up properly now, thank god. Steering feels brand new.

Still not finished though. Will post a *wish list* when my fingers have had a rest :laug:

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 8th Sep 2011 at 16:29
Boab

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
How the feck have I not seen this driving about Dunno Laugh

Some work you have put in since you've had her.

PH3 Team AstorGTi 6 owner
Posted 8th Sep 2011 at 17:23
judge dead

Regular

Post #3
ncie m8 i just got a new freeflow exhaust done to mine might hear me if ure about the well Smile
Posted 8th Sep 2011 at 19:51
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Looking good mate keep up the good work!!

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 9th Sep 2011 at 07:52
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Begrudgingly subscribed.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 9th Sep 2011 at 08:00
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Okie doke, might as well update mine seen as owain kindly updated his.

First thing i've fixed is a dodgy fan setup. Low speed hasn't worked in a while and i'm getting seriously worried about cooking the HG so had a look what was going on. Low speed fans were non existant and high speed fans came on as normal at 107deg.

First checked the relays by swapping them over. Driver's side fan worked, passenger side didn't, no matter which way they were plugged in. Checked all the plugs and wiring which was all fine, so safely diagnosed that it was the motor itself at fault. At low speed they run in series and at high speed in parallel. If one fan dies, the series circuit can't complete so neither fan works, at high speed the working fan still spins and the duff one stays duff. Will fit the "new" fan tomorrow but i'm confident that's the problem, Bitron unit is well tucked away and in good nick.

Here's a token picture of the salvaged fan I picked up for a fiver

Next i've been wanting a splitter for a while but begrudge paying £40 for a new one, especially when unemployed. Was tempted by Ash's VGC one but at £5 for an unvented and uncut laguna splitter i was daft to say no. Again, will fit tomorrow and see what's what.

Finally, bit of an update on the induction setup. I've changed my mind yet again, happens a lot when i've not enough money and too much time to think. Going off some basic fluid dynamics chit chat, the best case scenario for an inlet pipe is straight, smooth and long (lol). The common replacement for the factory pipe (a flexi jaggy pipe at that) is an alloy 90 degree elbow. Without the stock resonators though I felt it lost a bit of poke over factory and the angle of the bend without turning vanes effectively adds length to the system with the turbulence it causes. Too much length and airflow is reduced.

As i'm sure you're aware, my ABS pump is now in the bin and the battery is in the boot. What better place to put an air filter then than where they were?

Just batter some pipework you had lying around the garden in there, will be fine for now. Even though it's about 50mm diameter and made of brown plastic. Better than spending a tenner on an alloy pipe, cutting it too short and bodging it, surely?

Ignore the filter too, my K&N packed in a while ago so got a cheap enclosed filter which took a beating and the heat shield snapped off to reveal this pathetic thing, think my breather filter's bigger! Explains why my RR was 10bhp and 10lbft down over everyone else and my AFR at top end dropped to 11.2 until I borrowed ChrisD's K&N!

Happy with the placement, I ordered some shiny pipe to replace the ghetto spec drainpipe and offered that up.

Looking a bit better now. Waiting on a longer silicone joiner so I can have TB > joiner > alloy pipe > filter instead of having an unnecessary join near the TB housing, again should be arriving tomorrow hopefully.

Took it for a drive and it seems better in the midrange but it'll be hard to tell what effect it's had if any until that filter's buried. That's why I bought this:

*drool*

I think it looks sexy personally. It's a Simota filter I got on a bargain as a factory second, was made for an induction kit they no longer supply so was just lying around. £5 to me baby Cool It's twice the size of the Halfords crap on there so I know it won't be a restriction, how it compares to the bigger names and pricetags though I do not yet know.

It comes with a detachable base plate that secures with four allen screws, so i'm planning on bolting it to the airbox for added security when it's all built. Might make it out of 2mm ally to get the shape right and make a mandrel before trying to lay one up in CF, but given the location and my plans for cold air supply I don't think there'll be much difference apart from tartiness with regards to material used.

The baseplate also has a belled mouth on the filter side whic is something I was after, either by panel filter + bellmouth or spun neck on an air filter á la ITG Powerflow. So this meets the criteria nicely.

I won't say much more about air feed at the minute than this...

Purists beware Ninja

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 9th Sep 2011 at 22:44
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Oh yeah scoop in the bonnet? Would look good if done really well!

As you're out of work have you tried offering a painting service to people?

You've got me worried now, my cars developed a clunk and everything I can see is tight and in good condition, so I'm wondering if something similar has happened to my wishbones Sad was after a nasty pot hole incident!

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 10th Sep 2011 at 02:01
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Thumbs up

That is all.

Posted 10th Sep 2011 at 12:15
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Right sacking off the 206 vents in favour of a NACA duct from an Evo 6, like so:

Curves nicely so will fit behind the headlight. If it's good enough for the Evo Grp N induction kits it's good enough for me. Just need to find one at a decent price, Jap breakers want about £25 for one but they go on eBay for between £5 and £10. Anyone know of any Evo owners clubs?

Got the paint out today for a change. Trip to the scrappies revealed a late reg Xsara VTS with a surprisingly clean engine bay. Picked up the manifold and throttle body along with a few other bits and pieces and set about stripping the engine down to colour code it again. All looked a bit mish mashed with black block and cam covers, silver manifold, blue catch tank, blue filter, graphite grey trim pieces...

First up, bonnet badge. Boom.

Then came the bumper grille. It'd got badly oversprayed when I was in a rush painting it so gave it a lick of matt black with matt lacquer, like so:

And then proceeded to fit the Laguna splitter. General consensus is that the unvented one doesn't fit the ph3 bumper properly, I beg to differ.

Lining it up and starting to secure it on:

Securing method of choice: M6 bolts and nylocs, baby

I found by using strategically placed bolts it could be bent to fit the bumper shape perfectly, just needed patience and a steady hand with a drill. No self tappers here ta.

Finished product:

I prefer it to the GTI one, looks a bit more muscleyerish

Also set about fitting the replacement fan today. Figured i'd tart the pair of them up too seen as I was in a painting mood. China blue'll do for now

Fans refitted

And bumper rested on for alignment and shutting up shop for the night

bas**rding fans are still doing the same thing though, any hints?

No low speed fan, only high speed, and only the o/s fan works.

With brown sensor removed, relay clicks, nothing happens, then after 2 seconds o/s fan comes on at high speed.

Relays are ok, swapped them about and the same thing happens.

Replaced the suspect fan with a known working one, no change.

All plugs are spotless, including fan multi plug and Bitron plug.

About the only things I can think of now are either a broken wire or the Bitron has packed in internally. Will hopefully get another car to test the Bitron on tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 10th Sep 2011 at 22:30
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #10
Bitron unit id go for Thumbs up
Posted 10th Sep 2011 at 22:37
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Gah, should have robbed the one on the Xsara when I was at the scrappies. Was convinced it wasn't the Bitron as it looked in mint condition. Are they susceptible to just dying all of a sudden with no water ingress or anything?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 10th Sep 2011 at 22:42
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #12
cwspellowe wrote:
Gah, should have robbed the one on the Xsara when I was at the scrappies. Was convinced it wasn't the Bitron as it looked in mint condition. Are they susceptible to just dying all of a sudden with no water ingress or anything?

Yes
Posted 10th Sep 2011 at 22:46
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Ballsacks. Ironic thing is I can get one from a scrappy 20 miles away and pay less for one including petrol money than what they sell for on here Dry

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 10th Sep 2011 at 22:49
Boab

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
I'm sure I have a spare one mate, If you want to test it and it works you can have it?

Posted 11th Sep 2011 at 10:09
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist painting the fans before they went in.

Posted 11th Sep 2011 at 10:36
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Robert that'd be ideal please mate, when can you make it over?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 11th Sep 2011 at 16:33
Boab

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
I'll have a look tomorrow after work as I'm sure it's in the shed somewhere. If I find it I can drop it off later tomorrow.

Posted 11th Sep 2011 at 21:07
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Robert, turns out I don't need it now..

Hyper low speed fans for the first time since i've owned the car!!

Found the culprit using the fan wiring guide on here and a multimeter. The 12v relay coil wire had a break in it by the multi plug on the fan cowling. Little well hidden bugger like so:

Traced the wire and started stripping it, the whole inside of it was pure copper oxide, no wire there any more just a load of green dust! Had to go about 6" back up the wire to get a current and bypassed the multi plug as there wasn't enough wire left to solder it on. Works like a charm now though bang on temperature Thumbs up

Also finished painting my manifold, throttle body and front rocker cover. Rear wouldn't come off thanks t o a rounded bolt so left that on, it's black anyway so no big loss.

Boom.

Graphite TB fitted with new bolts for MAP, ICV and TPS Cool

And finally banged on a decent air filter with alloy inlet pipe, nice pic showing the much reduced angle of the pipework, should flow marginally better than a 90 degree elbow or even the standard pipe. Here's hoping...

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 11th Sep 2011 at 23:17
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #19
Looking good mate Thumbs up

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 12th Sep 2011 at 00:01
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
NICE. I like how you've even used yellow wires wherever you can, you big tart.

Posted 12th Sep 2011 at 07:57
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
They were the factory wires, although I may or may not have left them slightly more exposed than others Whistle

Back on its wheels now having had a going over for its MOT this week. Couple of loose bolts tightened up, still need to remove the ABS light and wire up the foglight switch and we're ready to go.

Couple of pics of my latest addition..

EGGY HEADRESTS Hyper

And a couple to show the splitter fitted along with the matt grey badge

Whoever said the laguna splitter doesn't suit the p3 bumper is a liar Laugh

And i've my eye on a NACA duct from an Evo, hopefully get a reply today for cheap cheapness as the scrappies want £25 for one Dry

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 12th Sep 2011 at 11:40
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Tres bon. I nearly skipped a couple of those headrests yesterday, decided to keep them until I could double check what state the rear bench was in. Binning leather interiors ftw!

Nice splitter.

Posted 12th Sep 2011 at 11:44
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Binning?! Shock

I want to get a phase 1 interior back in the car, for one reason or another I now have a phase 2 interior and it's not as comfy, although for the most part it's in decent nick. Eggy headrests go for a decent price if a buyer comes along but some people don't like them so it's a case of waiting for a buyer, might stick my old set up for sale though as they're in good nick.

Trying to keep the rare-r stuff on the car so when it inevitably dies I have stuff possibly worth selling Laugh

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 12th Sep 2011 at 12:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
I had the rear seats and door cards up for sale for ages, but never got any interest and they've just been deteriorating in the garage ever since. Door cards went to the tip yesterday leaving just the rear seats, which will be going soon enough to make room for other crap.

Posted 12th Sep 2011 at 12:04
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Righty ho, time for another update. Purists look away now, there's a bonnet vent involved Ninja

Got the angle grinder out and *carefully* went at the bonnet, picking a spot where as little structural cutting was necessary. Inevitably there was some cutting to the webbing but that couldn't be avoided. Gace the duct a lick of graphite grey and matt lacquer to match the bonnet badge and BAM! Instant McDonalds fodder.

Before anyone says anything about high pressure and low pressure and wave fronts.. yes, i've head it all before. But the mouth of the duct is still pointing pretty much straight forward and air doesn't just hit the leading edge of the bonnet and fly over it, it's hitting all parts at the front of the car at the same time. It forms a cushion of low pressure air over the surface of the body and the specific duct was chosen as the NACA designed aerodynamics creat vortices in the low pressure cushion and allow air to flow through the duct with minimal disturbance to the rest of the airflow. Not that the 306 is a particularly slippery eel but meh, looks better than a Scooby vent on there Laugh

It also has a channel at the back that stops water pouring through it, i'll be adapting that come airbox time to allow water to flow down channels harmlessly through the wing in case there's any flood like deluges in the future.

Gave it a wash as well ahead of the MOT tomorrow morning. Some gratuitous clean shots for you showcasing the splitter and bonnet duct...

If anyone could give me any pointers on why the bumper seems to hang lower now than it used to please let me know Smile Fit fine before I removed it to fix the fans and now it seems to hang low, tightened everything up but the gap between the bumper and grille is bigger than it used to be Dunno

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 15th Sep 2011 at 19:22

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 .. last