displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Fuel guage ?
judge dead

Regular

Post #1
didnt really know where to post this.

is it just me or is fuel guage on these cars crap? i leave house with under half a tank and get to work with over half a tank? and ive ran out of fuel twice now because it says i have over the red bar but really i have no fuel
Posted 4th Sep 2011 at 18:02
darzmat

Senior User

Post #2
i would get a new sender, i've run mine past the red before and it was still going

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 4th Sep 2011 at 20:22
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #3
Is your drive on a hill?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 4th Sep 2011 at 20:53
    dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
    Do you get a hiss when you open the filler neck? When mine did this the evap solenoid (brown round thing on the left hand side of the engine bay near the washer bottle neck) had died and was allowing the vacuum from the engine to suck all the air out of the fuel tank, deforming it and upsetting the fuel gauge.

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
    Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 16:03
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #5
    If it is your petrol fume evaporation solenoid thing (forget the correct term LOL ) then I have one redundant that I took off my engine.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 16:10
    SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
    If you think the Pug gauge is bad you should try the one in the Lotus. I can put it in the garage with 5/6ths of a tank. Come to use it again and it's be down to 4/6th's. Drive it 10 miles down the road and I'll be back to 5/6th's again! AND the garage is completely level too. Go figure! LOL

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
    Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 18:22
    cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
    I reset the fuel gauge needle on mine in the wrong place, so not only does it die of starvation half way round a corner, you have to take 1/8th of a tank off the reading to be close to what's left. Anyone know if the fuel low light is triggered by the needle position or the actual fuel level left?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
    Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 18:24
    SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
    Shouldn't this be in the technical section anyway?? I guess the OP wanted a reply Whistle

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
    Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 18:26
    judge dead

Regular

Post #9
    yeah i do get a hiss like its letting pressure off once i open the cap il try and find this brown evap Big grin another item to the list lol. id better get hot on santas heels Smile
    Posted 5th Sep 2011 at 20:31