displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Project glove box connections!
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #1
Hello all,

Im not sure if this has been done before so i thought it might be useful if i posted it up.

The plan is to install a USB and a 3.5mm jack in my glove box that are connected to my head unit for my iPod and phone to connect to, at the moment i just have the cables coming through the gap in the top right of the glove box and its messy and annoys me..

I have been on amazon and ordered the following:

a panel mount usb socket

a usb type a - b cable

and a 3.5mm jack socket

im not too sure how im going to connect the 3.5 jack yet but it should just be abit of soldering and the usb is straight forward and its just the case of drilling a few holes, well hopefully LOL.

oh and sorry this project isnt a snarling superchared 4 wheel drive beast or anything, i thought it may intestet people who are looking to do the same thing.

Cheers, Lewis.
Posted 18th Aug 2011 at 20:47
mjstones

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
it's a good idea. hope it works out! i've got a hole in the side of my glovebox for the leads, wish i'd thought to do something like this.

Never underestimate the power of De-Nile.

Friday afternoon car, built in France.... Ninja

306gti6.com Stickers available, pm me for details. or email MjStones83@hotmail.com

Sticker Thread with pics

Posted 18th Aug 2011 at 20:49
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #3
the idea just clicked when i was putting my head unit back in after replacing my heater controls Razz
Posted 18th Aug 2011 at 21:03
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #4
well all the parts came while the site was down and i dont a test fit with the cables and all was well for a while. I then started getting some connection problems with the panel mount usb socket! so annoying! so im going to send it back and get a replacement. ill update again when i have a working socket.
Posted 13th Sep 2011 at 20:52
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #5
Will be watching this - at the moment my USB cable pokes out of the bottom of the centre console Sad

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 13th Sep 2011 at 22:06
Boab

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Would these not be better in the coin tray as it will give you easier access, or do you prefer it hidden?

PH3 Team AstorGTi 6 owner
Posted 15th Sep 2011 at 11:04
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
nice idea
get a good few pictures while doing it sure people would be interested

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 15th Sep 2011 at 11:31
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #8
well i have just been out to maplins and brought a replacement socket because i couldnt be arsed to send the one i have back. and guess what, its the same! so f*ck it. change of plan!

now im going to get one of these:

which is abit of a bumder because it wont look as nice, but thinking about it, i might be able to make somthing in work to make it look abit prettier Cool.
Posted 15th Sep 2011 at 18:39
xsi_lew

Senior User

Post #9
Boab wrote:
Would these not be better in the coin tray as it will give you easier access, or do you prefer it hidden?

i control my ipod through the headunit so theres no need to even touch the ipod once its plugged in Smile
Posted 15th Sep 2011 at 18:41