displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Rad. Fan working after turning off ignition
danposs86

Regular

Post #1
I notice that when the engine was really hot and it was a hot day, after I turned off the 6's ignition, the fan would pop on and stay on for 5 minutes or so cooling the engine down. All good and so far.

Sometimes it doesn't come on when I think it will be (after a hard drive and temps are higher than normal, but a cooler day). Is there a trick that can force the fan to come on for a short while after turning off the car? Maybe a couple of clicks on and off on the ignition?

Random question I know lol

danposs86's GTi-6
Posted 19th Jul 2011 at 18:59
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I think unplugging the sensor would probably do the job, but that's a bonnet-up job.

So no, I don't believe there's any way without wiring in your own timer and relay.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 19th Jul 2011 at 20:58
cooper666

Senior User

Post #3
just keep an eye on water temp fans on thee dont come on till 96 degrees iirc with the aly rad i found it very rarely gets up yo that temp

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 19th Jul 2011 at 23:11
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #4
On A/C models the fans sometimes stay on for a short time if the gas pressure is high, but if you're seeing the fans stay on when the A/C has not been in use then it's because the fan controller is broken or because temperatures have got far too high. The fan run-on is a last ditch attempt to bring the temperature down and actually has very little impact beyond the water currently in the radiator as the water pump is not running.

Either the fan controller is faulty, or you have big problems somewhere else in the cooling system. Start by confirming correct operation of the fans. Pull brown coolant sensor plug off while the ignition is on. If all is well both fans will run for a few seconds at low speed and then switch to high speed.

If this checks out then ensure the system is correctly bled and run the car up to temperature and check the fans come on correctly, at 97 degrees. If this doesn't bring the temperature down and the fans have to kick up to high speed then you probably have a clogged up radiator. Under normal running you shouldn't see high speed fans, except when the A/C gas pressure gets very high.

Rich
Posted 19th Jul 2011 at 23:44
mwl001

Regular

Post #5
Rich E wrote:
gas pressure is high,

On a 306? LOL
Posted 20th Jul 2011 at 00:28
cooper666

Senior User

Post #6