displaying posts 1 to 25 of 38

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Cossack ressurection
carbonfibre

Regular

Post #1
Something stirs in deepest, darkest Devon.

At a warehouse in an un-disclosed location something is afoot.

In fact, it’s more than that. It is a vital organ; a heart to be precise.

A few pictures will explain better than many words ever can. Also, it’s late and I am cream-crackered. Watching someone work hard is tiring and I can only think in very short sentences. Indeed.

Everyone should have a garage like this…

Cosy

It begins…

I’m glad I am not doing this alone. Because I’d completely fvck it up.

Nocturnal business:

Oooh, tasty. That looks like a minty low mile lump. Because it is.

New organ & patient.

I think two hoists would be good, Dan…

Extraction. Like at the dentist but bigger & without anaesthetic. Cossack was very brave, hardly a whimper.

Emptiness.

The two engines earnestly discuss the handover of power. They decide to share flywheel, clutch & gearbox. Which is nice.

Nice new pulley. The old one was fubar.

What will greet us tomorrow. Dan has agreed to forego morning prayers, I hope his God is not angry.

So that’s where it’s at. I will hold back on the credits and lyrical waxing until we have made further progress but must nod thanks to Dan & Neil for being cool, and making this operation possible. More tomorrow, and goodnight.
Wink

Hens teeth rocking horse poo Cossack Ph1.3
Posted 17th Jul 2011 at 05:10
Stuwee

Senior User

Post #2
Another one lives on.....
Phase 1 ftmfw

Cool

Ph1 Cossack 6

Posted 17th Jul 2011 at 05:47
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
An excellent beginning Clapping

Will be watching this closely.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 17th Jul 2011 at 06:02
timbiddle

Regular

Post #4
good work guys Clapping
Posted 17th Jul 2011 at 16:02
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Looks shit to me Whistle LOL
Great work and write up.
Looking forward to a Barnstaple meet-up once Tim has got his 6 on the road too.
Posted 17th Jul 2011 at 21:53
timbiddle

Regular

Post #6
iplay wrote:
Looks shit to me Whistle LOL
Great work and write up.
Looking forward to a Barnstaple meet-up once Tim has got his 6 on the road too.
me to lookin forward to driving it full stop lol
Posted 17th Jul 2011 at 22:01
dan86

Senior User

Post #7
Im looking forward to going for a spin in this tonight!

Posted 18th Jul 2011 at 13:21
aphyx

Regular

Post #8
Good luck guys, always nice to hear of someone keeping it and fixing it instead of breaking it for parts

Onward to the Edge!
Posted 19th Jul 2011 at 18:04
carbonfibre

Regular

Post #9
Ninja

Posted 20th Jul 2011 at 07:42
carbonfibre

Regular

Post #10
Devil

Posted 20th Jul 2011 at 14:57
Stuwee

Senior User

Post #11
Is it running yet???

Ph1 Cossack 6

Posted 20th Jul 2011 at 15:09
carbonfibre

Regular

Post #12
Time has passed, and I feel able to talk rather than post cryptic smilies. In fact, the summer has slipped away and I have neglected this journal entirely. I apologise. It is time to update the thread, and tell you about something a bit shocking that many of us should be concerned about as the years pass by. It has nothing to do with male pattern baldness or testicles, but more on that story later.

To spare you the distress of trying to remember wtf I am going on about, I shall summarise events so far:

Pete’s old GTi6 dies, a bent con-rod attributed to causes unknown. He leaves it at a Garage where he can drive past it every day and grieve. Neil sees Pete’s mournful self-pitying drivel on the internet and hatches a plan. It involves an engine he knows rather well and a man called Dan. Neil persuades Dan to part with the engine. Dan is not desperate, but agrees because his interest in the 306 lies somewhere beyond the platonic. The engine is transported via Citroen Dispatch to a luxury warehouse where the weekend will happen. Jokes between Dan & Pete regarding the enticing prospect of a mid-engined GTi6 van find their way onto an internet forum, and are ignored. Friday night and Saturday are filled with manful endeavour as the front end is stripped and old engine removed. The team retire at tea-time, vowing a quiet night in and a prompt start on the Sabbath.

Which is where we continue.

Sunday, and an early start. There’s nothing like the thrill of a Citroen Dispatch HDi to get the blood pumping. I collected Dan who had spent, it seemed, the whole night spraying his face a shade of Blaze. He looked awfully hungover for a person who “hardly drinks, at all”.

Dan warned me that any requests for an emergency stop would be genuine.

We arrived without incident and raised the shutter door.

The gearbox & clutch from the deceased engine were being used. Here Dan is preparing the bell-housing for re-connection. The old clutch was in surprisingly good fettle, testament perhaps to the mechanical sympathies of a highly skilled wheelman? No. I’m just lucky that all my motoring is on the open road.

Phase 3 engine mates with phase 1 box. Full penetration was achieved following spline-reaming and a sparing daub of lube. The relief in the room was palpable. Excuse the following photos, the battery in the real camera died, so courtesy of HTC and its bukkake lens:

Old and new water pumps. We noted the vanes were now of a new material.

Although it felt metallic it was not cold to the touch, and had an almost ceramic quality.

The pump & its new home. The block showed no signs of internal stainage or mankiness, I think the previous user cooled it with de-ionised Narwhal tears.

No further pictures were taken until the belt & tensioners were changed. You could smell the tension with a knife.
After a pause during which we pondered the mintiness of this engine, the pins were removed, the belt settled minutely, and we breathed again. The motor was smoothly cranked through several rotations. All was well.

Moving swiftly, the lump is dangled. It does require a deft touch but Dan fights through his “tiredness” to guide it home.

I rather like this angle.

In position. Everything’s just going to be easy now. Wahey.

Nice gearbox oil funnel. I’m now doing these for £10 posted, £50 in carbon wrap. Better terms for a group-buy, of course.

Time for a quick sweep-up, and to restore the beast to its wheels.

It was late and there were fumes. Under such conditions creative minds flourish, and the ideas were everywhere. Here we see Dan astride a prototype GTi6 lightweight sprinter. You can tell by his face he knows life doesn’t get much better than this. At a later stage of development the mule was fitted with a Scorpion box. The results, although stunning, were impossible to capture by conventional photographic means.

Sunday ends. The job is not complete, but the car is pretty much back together and is pushed outside. The workshop is restored to warehouse.

I should take a moment to explain that clearly a lot of things are going on here that are not mentioned specifically, get skipped, or aren’t pictured.

This is because:

- Dan did it all
- Neil helped him
- I forgot what happened
- I never knew what happened
- I was smoking a fag
- Dan didn’t tell me
- Neil told him not to
- I don’t understand electricity
- Any/all of the above

I hope that makes it clearer. Thank you.

The action kicked off again on Monday evening. A few more assorted bits & bobs were purchased to complete the task. Among them a bottle labelled with a good omen, thus:

Chin re-installed.

I was getting pretty excited by this stage; having taken Neil’s Bianca for a brief spin had also charged my batteries a bit. After several weeks out of a GTi testing such a prime example had a quite profound effect on me. Such smoothness; a lovely car.

The coolant is added.

A little earlier I mentioned how everything would be easy from then on. Not so. Let me elaborate.

The engine fired, and the coolant was topped & bled on tick-over. Dan & I jumped aboard to conduct the first test. Under minute throttle openings the engine pulled smoothly and gently. As you can imagine we were being very timid, but as we approached HQ up a slight hill Dan urged me to press the metal a little. The result was “underwhelming”. Something was very wrong.

Surely the colossal HDi forces my body had become accustomed to over the preceding weeks had not re-calibrated my senses this radically? Could it be that after driving a van my 6 would feel… slow?

Dan took the car for a short drive. He returned vexed, estimating the engine was producing about 50BHP. We were hoping for more than that, really. The old engine with the bent conrod would still be good for 35 horses or so even in its shagged state. Neil stroked his chin. Dan looked a bit pale. I put the kettle on.

What’s causing the problem?

The elimination process begins. I’ll spare you the middle bit. …And the process ends.

With this. What IS this shit? Look closely…

Any ideas?

No, not Dilithium Crystals. But you’re close.

The Cat. The cat is dead. Fvcked and totalled. And the chances are it’s demise spelt doom for the old engine too. A chunk of the internal honeycomb had detached & wedged in the neck of the unit under pressure of gasflow. Thus the engine had idled sweetly but asphyxiated under throttle.

Well, you live and learn. Something to learn from this might be to avoid pattern cats.

It turned out that my mid-section was toast too, only the Scorpion on the back remaining serviceable. We chaps should not neglect our pipes; I suggest you go straight home & do a self-exam right now.
Dan fortunately had a Hoffman Sports Cat back at his place, and Neil a spare Magnex. In yet another display of community spirit (bless ‘em) these goodly components found their way onto my 6.

Check out mine auspuff, yah?

After ironing out a gremlin or two, IT WAS COMPLETE!

The car waits outside with the engine’s former host:

We set off with Neil in convoy, into the darkness. Buzzing with noise, exhaustion and exhaust. The car feels magnificent, better than ever. It’s like stepping into a well-worn old running shoe to discover it has fresh spikes. Stopping for fuel, we stand and gawp at the cars. You would too.

I was so pleased with the car I took it for a weekend away in the country. A blast across the moor which I will not forget. Fellow campers just love the Magnex, too.

And that concludes this chapter. There has been more progress with the car, and it’s going very well, but that update’s for another time when it isn’t late and I can see properly.

Dan did a great job. The man has skills, you’ve all seen his Sedan project thread (if not, why not?) and now I see how he’s made so much progress. Top marks, mate. I’m also indebted to Neil who kicked this little project off to begin with and then proved very supportive too. Nice. And me?

I just make the tea, and tell a tale or two…

Cool

Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 00:25
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
1) This car looks awesome.

2) You should definitely let me have it.

3) Keep up the good work, if you decide not to let me have it.

Thumbs up

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 09:47
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #14
Great write-up, on a comparison with Owain's LOL

Good to see another '6 back on the road too Smile

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 13:11
lewisdmz

Senior User

Post #15
Good write up, nice one for saving a p1 as well, especially a Cossack - I don't think i've ever seen a Cossack 6 in 'real life' they must be pretty rare?

Done much to it suspension wise?
Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 13:19
davewagon

Senior User

Post #16
Is this end of project, or is there more to come?!

Great write up!

Dave

Team: Moonstone GTI-6
Team: Working air-con™

ian7675 wrote:
Remember....a 6 isn't just a car, it's a part time job Thumbs up
Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 14:55
throughlou

Junior User

Post #17
Looks fantastic (i would say that since your car looks like mine haha)

Bet you felt gutted when you realised it had 50hp at first Smile
Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 20:57
darzmat

Senior User

Post #18
good work guys. and a good enjoyable write up

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 25th Sep 2011 at 21:38
dan86

Senior User

Post #19
Amazing write up Pete! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to save such a rare beast and for trusting me with your pride and joy.

This thread is definitely worthy of being in the project section of the forum and a Hans Christian Andersen Literature Prize for the author!

Posted 26th Sep 2011 at 13:12
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
nice write up

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 26th Sep 2011 at 14:54
tcrallye

Regular

Post #21
Great write up, nice motor to accompany it to. Awesome stuff.

Tom.
Posted 26th Sep 2011 at 16:56
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #22
Ball-sack grey is the best phse 1 colour FACT!!! Thumbs up

Glad you got here alive and kicking again mate
Posted 26th Sep 2011 at 17:20
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Great write up Pete and another first class engine conversion by Dan.
Admins this thread should be moved over to projects ...
Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 11:34
cahillscornerflag

Senior User

Post #24
Good read, the Cossack lives! Thumbs up

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6 - Regretfully sold!
'89 Onyx Black 205 GTi 1.6

Posted 20th Oct 2011 at 13:29
carbonfibre

Regular

Post #25
Hello again.

Thanks for the response, fellas. And thanks for being so positive about this thread and stroking me on the head, it feels really nice. It’s a pleasure to write for you.

In reply to your kind words:

Owain – yes, it is rather photogenic. Being a Ph1 helps, in addition to the colour being so goddam sweet. It also co-ordinates nicely with my beard. I would let you have it tomorrow but if I can’t get to work the local population won’t have any wine, and society as we know it will collapse. The good work will continue.

The enigmatic “G” – Thankyou. I printed out all Owain’s threads and stuck them up around the house ages ago. My wife complained, but even she will admit it’s better than those posters of my cock.

Lewis – I felt it my responsibility to save the beast. It is indeed rare, I have seen lesser models sporting the colour but never another 6, though I know there are a few in the club. Front suspension is totally standard, I have replaced everything except springs with brand new components over the last few years. Shocks are Billies. Rear end has newish shockers as well, but not OEM. They need doing, but that can of worms may well constitute the next chapter…

Dave – It will never end….. Cossack has its own paragraph in my will. And, thankyou.

Luis – My fellow Cossack fellow. Yes, rather perplexed about the power output at that stage. I think Dan was more worried than me! We exchanged some very puzzled glances and all I could say was “errr, hmmm”.

Darius – Thanks. Dan did a magnificent job. Speaking of which…

Dan – Cheers, bud. I am so glad you decided to deny your pristine Sedan the joy of this delicious engine. I redline its ass daily in your honour.

Russ & Tom – Thank you. It’s appreciated.

Ash – The colour suits the “genuine old-school GTi not all rounded and gay” style of the Ph1 very well. I bet you’re a little disappointed not to have supplied the power to this icon? Or perhaps not. Anyway, I look forward to meeting you at a layby somewhere, someday. “You can take the Welshman out of the GTi6, but…” as they say.

Neil – It’s all your fault. I blame you. Were it not for the divinity of your intervention Cossack would be in bits, and I would be driving some anodyne shit-fuelled tosscart by now. Kudos. I will ask admin to transfer the thread to projects, assuming they have the time in between counting all the money on a Caribbean beach and dealing with the ungrateful, impatient whining he-b*tches who baulk at the prospect of paying a tiny amount of cash to enjoy… well, this.

Al – Thanks. Astor? Well, I suppose it’s still a shade of grey…

And the car?

Cor. It flies.

The engine has run faultlessly for around 4k miles since the transplant. I religiously check fluid levels and have noted… nothing. The oil still looks like honey and the coolant a glass of the finest Gruner Veltliner (Google it. I’m not at work now). It will cruise & pull nicely at even ultra-low revs, with no lumpy, tired weirdness like the old engine. It picks up effortlessly and sweeps to the redline like a dream, there is no drop-off at higher revs; it simply whams to the top and asks me to spank it again. So I do. I would imagine that on a private road redlining it in fourth gear would be quite easy, and fifth would not be far behind.

The Magnex had to go back to its owner. In isolation I enjoyed the noise, but I get quite enough attention already and don’t want more. The resonant boom inside the car was quite loud, maybe amplified a little by the Hoffman Cat. I visited Monsieur Peugeot (who offers the North Devon GTi6 tribe a nice discount on account of our spending habits) and marched out proudly past the 5008s and other assorted plastic poop with a shiny centre section. Now Cossack sports Hoffman cat—Pug centre—Scorpion backbox. A very nice, raspy sound underpinned by gentle baritone burble. Plus a lovely scream at the top end. You can play it like a trombone.

I knew the Magnex’s days were numbered when I dropped Dan off at around 2 am and set off his neighbour’s alarms with just a heavy toe in first. No joke in his ghetto. The only reason he survives there is that he is nails.

Well ,thanks for indulging me again. I could go on much further, but don’t want some wiseass replying TLDR and killing my buzz. Plus I know you all like pictures, and this is something of a “dry” post.

I shall return here soon and tell more Cossack tales. In the meantime, here’s that poster of my cock.
Only kidding. Always leave them hungry.

Whistle

Posted 26th Oct 2011 at 00:04

Pages (2): [1] 2