displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Rear beam problem
rallye1999

Senior User

Post #1
my rear beam is making a sort of banging noise over bumps and if theres a lot of bodyroll or i park one side on a kerb i get a loud click, it then clicks back when i turn the other way or drive off kerb, i figure the click maybe roll bar related (hybrid anti rollbar), does anyone have any idea on the banging, its in a track car so may sound louder than actually is, and mounts are the solid kind,im going to check the beam bolts tonight as it maybe slightly loose, ive tried jumping up and down on the boot floor but nothing, i can also get it to make a clicking noise when dabbing the brakes im baffled, any suggestions?
Posted 12th Jul 2011 at 17:48
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
First up, make sure the two ARB endplates are still attached properly.

Secondly make sure they're both pushed as far onto the bar as they'll go - there's very little clearance inside the tube, mine bangs about all over the place. Stopped worrying about it some time ago now.

You can also try taking it out and look for witness marks, I'd given mine a coat of paint so it had really obvious marks where it'd been rubbing.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 12th Jul 2011 at 20:31
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I've got the hybrid arb on mine and although I don't have the banging, I have experienced the clicking. I can sort it by tightening the bolt holding the ARB end plate into the trailing arm but it comes back after a few days. Confused

Pics of my 6
My 6 on Google Video thanks to coxy306Xsi
Posted 13th Jul 2011 at 01:47
rallye1999

Senior User

Post #4
as for the banging, the fuel filter was loose lol, but i still get quite a bit and im starting to think thats just road noise been transfered through the shell through the solidness
Posted 13th Jul 2011 at 03:26
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Check its not pulling a bolt out of the trailing arm. You will need to drill and tap it as its probably ovalised. Then use a good threadlock.

Nothing to see here
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 18:19
paul_13

Senior User

Post #6
Check the rubber bushes on the ARB plate are present and in good nick.

Will give noise if worn/not present

205 GTI6- Rebuilt engine, lightened flywheel, lightened pulley, 307 hdi brakes, Koni struts on gravel spec springs, 22mm TB's, 24mm ARB, Roll cage, Citreon ZX rear dampers, SL434's, Xsara box, Quickrack, Pipercross enclosed induction kit. Smile

Private work, not a prob Smile
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 18:21