displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: S16 - rumbling / banging sound on hard acceleration
ballys16

Regular

Post #1
Hello there,
My beloved S16 developed a frightening sound upon hard(ish) acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear.
It doesnt matter if you turn the steering wheel or not, it will sound that way even in a straight line.
The sound is hard to describe, but it's like when something is hitting the body of the car from underneath and really rapidly in a series (so it's not just one knock or clunk like when the top engine mount is packed). Stops when I ease on the pedal. Also if accelerating gently there is no sound.
Seems to come from the passenger footwell (or around there) - thats the driver's side in the UK, btw.
I've had the bottom engine mount replaced because it was gone but the sound remains. Top engine mount was also replaced a while ago. Shaft inspected and no faults found. Differential swapped earlier for a 206 GTi one.
Also seems to happen more when engine is cold (or rather it is easier to reproduce that way).
I know it could be the downpipe but I cannot reproduce the sound by simply pulling at it.
Thank you!
B.

XSi 8V -> S16
Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 04:32
ballys16

Regular

Post #2
ballys16 wrote:
Hello there,
My beloved S16 developed a frightening sound upon hard(ish) acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear.
It doesnt matter if you turn the steering wheel or not, it will sound that way even in a straight line.
The sound is hard to describe, but it's like when something is hitting the body of the car from underneath and really rapidly in a series (so it's not just one knock or clunk like when the top engine mount is packed). Stops when I ease on the pedal. Also if accelerating gently there is no sound.
Seems to come from the passenger footwell (or around there) - thats the driver's side in the UK, btw.
I've had the bottom engine mount replaced because it was gone but the sound remains. Top engine mount was also replaced a while ago. Shaft inspected and no faults found. Differential swapped earlier for a 206 GTi one.
Also seems to happen more when engine is cold (or rather it is easier to reproduce that way).
I know it could be the downpipe but I cannot reproduce the sound by simply pulling at it.
Thank you!
B.

Anybody?

XSi 8V -> S16
Posted 15th Jul 2011 at 18:46
pbufton

Post #3
almost like backfiring down the manifold?
Posted 17th Jul 2011 at 04:21
ballys16

Regular

Post #4
pbufton wrote:
almost like backfiring down the manifold?

Yes, almost, although sounds a bit more muffled.

XSi 8V -> S16
Posted 20th Jul 2011 at 03:04