displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: Rallye rough idle on start up
laz101

Junior User

Post #1
I know this has been covered before just a bit concerned about a possible head gasket failure which was mentioned in another post i read.

If left for about a week it will idle really rough on start up but as soon as i take it to about 2-3k revs it clears and runs fine. if its only left for a day or two then it idles fine on start up. No other problems with idle. No apparent coolant leak on tarmac. Oh and its always parked uphill if that makes any difference. Am i being over concerned could it just be the stepper motor?

Cheers

Lawrence
Posted 5th Jul 2011 at 15:29
dr-evil

Senior User

Post #2
Coolant is leaking past the gasket and collecting on top of the piston - clearing the coolant out is the cause of the mis-fire. You are at the early stages of it failing - check for petrol and oil in the radiator - a light brown scum/sludge is it mixing, however if you can see spots of water on the dip-stick - do not run the engine - water in the oil will lead to botton-end bearing damage. Unless there is damage to the mating faces, the head shouldn't require skimming.

Cad Monkey will work for chocolate biscuits....I'm not kidding
Posted 8th Jul 2011 at 18:06
laz101

Junior User

Post #3
dr-evil wrote:
Coolant is leaking past the gasket and collecting on top of the piston - clearing the coolant out is the cause of the mis-fire. You are at the early stages of it failing - check for petrol and oil in the radiator - a light brown scum/sludge is it mixing, however if you can see spots of water on the dip-stick - do not run the engine - water in the oil will lead to botton-end bearing damage. Unless there is damage to the mating faces, the head shouldn't require skimming.

Ok thanks...not sure i wanted to hear it but there we go. So is there anything i can do to stop it happeneing...bar not driving the car!

Lawrence
Posted 8th Jul 2011 at 19:54
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I disagree for the moment.

If you are parked on a steep incline or decline then on start up your oil isn't where it needs to be.

Try parking on a flat surface from now and if the problem persists maybe check the MAP sensor and or the ICV and if you still have no joy then go with the above Smile

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 8th Jul 2011 at 20:20
laz101

Junior User

Post #5
mattgti6phase2 wrote:
I disagree for the moment.

If you are parked on a steep incline or decline then on start up your oil isn't where it needs to be.

Try parking on a flat surface from now and if the problem persists maybe check the MAP sensor and or the ICV and if you still have no joy then go with the above Smile

good idea will give it a go. I checked the coolant and there is a slight brown scum around the inside but not sure if thats because i stupidly took the cap off when it was still hot. Also been no probs starting this week but then i have used it most days.

Lawrence
Posted 8th Jul 2011 at 23:30
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Also once it's been left over night undo the radiator cap and if there is pressure there this may point towards hg problems.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 9th Jul 2011 at 00:23
laz101

Junior User

Post #7
mattgti6phase2 wrote:
Also once it's been left over night undo the radiator cap and if there is pressure there this may point towards hg problems.

Just checked this and theres no pressure so thats a relief, plus the idle is more normal at the moment. Although i'm fairly certain its leaking coolant as only toped it up recently and already its got quite low. Would that have any relation to possible head gasket problems.

Lawrence
Posted 16th Jul 2011 at 21:26
colgti6

Regular

Post #8
any idea how much a new cambelt tensioners would cost for the 6

Adding up the bills for the 6
Posted 16th Jul 2011 at 23:53
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
colgti6 wrote: