displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Hesitation - TPS?
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Take a look at this please..

Can anyone explain the lack of power/torque between 1000 and 1300rpm for me?

Have replaced all the sensors now apart from the TPS. The hesitation is really apparent during town driving, it's fine as long as the revs don't drop below 1500rpm but if they do I need to downshift, feels worse than driving a diesel 106! PITA as I can't just drop it in 6th and cruise, have to constantly work the gearbox.

Could a duff TPS cause this if every other sensor's been replaced? The wiring was dodgy and was shorting out until I fixed it, this problem's been here ever since.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 30th Jun 2011 at 00:13
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
MAP sensor?

I found the exact same problem when I was cleaning my sensors. I plugged them all back in but forgot to plug the MAP sensor in Doh

Then when I plugged it back in it was fine. Worth a shot.

I guess the other thing it could be is a miss fire. Does the engine move back and forth slightly on idle?

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 30th Jun 2011 at 05:50
danny555

Junior User

Post #3
Mate my car is just the same. I have changed most things (including the map sensor) but still no luck! My mate at the garage said he had a mi16 come in running the same as mine. Just around that rev range it feels like it's missing. It turned out to be 2 slightly bent valves from where it must have had a snapped cam-belt at some point and the valves were not noticed to be bent and were not replaced. The valves was not sitting right. This I hope is not the case for me or you. But if I find out what it is I will let you know.

1997 Black Phase 1 306 GTI 6

Posted 3rd Jul 2011 at 04:22
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
If you get a lag when you put your foot down that's the tps, although it could also be your problem. Throttle cable tight?

Nothing to see here
Posted 3rd Jul 2011 at 06:06