displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Power loss and stuttering
hamhead24

Post #1
Was stopped at traffic lights today and all of sudden it stared to idle funny. Then when I drove of it was a bit lumpy and had no power. I didnt try and rev it up high in case i did more damage. But it didnt seem to want to go higher than 2500rpm. Every now and then it would run smoothly for a second or so before being lumpy again. Any ideas? MAP? Coil pack?
Posted 27th Jun 2011 at 20:32
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Lambda sensor? Unsure

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 27th Jun 2011 at 20:52
hamhead24

Post #3
Seems to rev slightly smoother after 3500rpm and a bit more power. Disconnected the lambda sensor and the problem got slightly worse.
Posted 27th Jun 2011 at 23:32
sharvey44

Senior User

Post #4
MAP sensor?

Ph2.5 Nile - Slowly trying to de-East London it and restore to former glory...
Built on the 9 Febuary 1999 - Tuesday's car..is full of pace? Wink

Currently looking slightly molested due to some c*nt trying to get into it.. Sad

According to the forum Social Worker, because I work in IT, I am socially retarted..
Posted 27th Jun 2011 at 23:43
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Possibly a coil pack failing due to the heat, One of the S16s coils used to do it every now and then in the summer, it sounded like a boxer engine, usually giving it a prod on the throttle would wake it up again and it would run ok again after that.

The coil died completely eventually though (thats how I worked out what was causing it as it hasn't done it since).

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 28th Jun 2011 at 00:08
hamhead24

Post #6
Thanks for the advice. Just cleaned the icv. Will have a go at the map and coil packs next.
Posted 28th Jun 2011 at 22:12
hamhead24

Post #7
Took it out for a spin after cleaning the icv and it ran very well for about 5 mins than the problem returned. will change for a new one and cross my fingers
Posted 28th Jun 2011 at 23:03