displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: got my wheels balanced today.... properly.
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
So I have an engine mount on the way from luke Jenkins which was purchased to solve the massive gear stick, dash shaking and vibration. Ive checked the mount and it looks white worn so I always was sure that was the problem. Anyways ages ago I asked about balancing cyclones in Cwmbran and welshpug mentioned malvern tyres, which I admit I had no idea where it was even though Cwmbran is tiny and I've lives there all my life, ( turns out it was less than a mile from my door ) Razz
Right anyway since having the six, which has always had this issue, I've had 6 tyres fitted in total, once I had 4 pe2s all-round , then I had the backs on the front and balanced and then the fronts fitted with falkens and put on the rear.
The problem was still there after work today I was like " I'm going to make 100 % sure they are balanced now. Thought I would get it done where welshpug said and went all out hunting down malvern tyres.
Anyway long story short is my cyclone had been balanced a few times completely wrong and the markers were in most vases 180 degrees off where they should be.
The guy explained that if they were 15g out I would feel it,
The front was out 140 on one and 85 on another, so I asked them to do the rears, which were out 75 and 115 .
Basically 400g of wheel weights were on my car that didst need to be and now the vibration is pretty much gone Smile
Top guys they are there , even showed me everything the machine was coming up with

Ex- Phase 3 China GTi-6 T-Reg
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 16:16
pugzy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Every day's a school day Smile

Cwmbran is titchy LOL

Pugzy...aka Mike Thumbs up

Ex-Platinum silver 306 GTi6 owner...now an Ex-Scarlet Red 406 3ltr V6 Coupe owner too Sad

Now driving a China Blue 106 1.5 Diesel..."The Money-Saving and Debt-Busting Machine" LOL
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 16:18
mattyrallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Pretty much gone??? Take it f*cking back!

Previous china gti6 and Rallye owner.

Now a proud Astor Gti 6 owner.

Missing he BMW already...
Posted 25th Jun 2011 at 21:33
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
What the mount? It's still on its way out anyway and is causing some vibration. Besides it was like 18 quid.

Posted 25th Jun 2011 at 23:01
tishockin

Regular

Post #5
hey there, ur vibration ur talking about was it around the 60mph+ mark and got to the point of shaking the whole dash and car to bits as you pass 70? as iv just had a vibration exactly like that today, started off not to bad just annoying, got the wheels balanced to see if it had lost a weight or something, then drove for a while longer and it got so bad that i called it quites and got the car recovered by the AA, thought it was going to sake the car apart! was worried it could be a drive shaft or summit on the way out. just wondering how bad urs was as if its just my wheels being balanced wrong it may save be a few £s, and is badly ballanced wheels common with cyclones?
Posted 26th Jun 2011 at 04:58
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Yeah it was exactly like that, and is common for to the fact the wheels have no centre caps so some places can't balance them or they guess because they don't have the right machine

Posted 26th Jun 2011 at 05:48
tishockin

Regular

Post #7
right well thats a good place to start looking at mine then, would be nice if its something simple like that, il take it to the local pug garage then and get them to sort the wheels, should know for defo then.

thanks chap
Posted 26th Jun 2011 at 14:33
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
If you look at some of my previous threads regarding this issue you will see I've been to hell and back because of it.

A lot of tyre companies claim they can balance cyclone wheels or solid centre wheels and haven't got a clue what they are doing. I even took my car to a local pug dealer and even they couldnt do it. In fact they tried stitching me up by purposely mounting my wheels badly on the balancing machine to make them look buckled because I kept on going back.

It's simple to do but you need the right kit - not just an FRU (flangia rapid universale) or whatever it is. The wheel should be centered by using a 65mm hub in the middle, NOT the bolts on the FRU along with tapered nuts.

If the garage you go to doesn't use a 65mm puck in the middle of the FRU they CANNOT balance your cyclones regardless of what the tire fitters say.

The fact of the matter is most of them are thick as shit. I've had to stand and argue vigorously with some of them to make sure they do it right. Twats.

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti�

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 26th Jun 2011 at 19:37
mpieczko

Regular

Post #9
I completely agree with you darkgti6!

My experience with wheel balancing has taught me to steer well clear of any places like QuikFit. They do a terrible job and they aren't even that quick! Some places will say they can balance cyclones when they actually don't have the spigot adaptor.

Even if they do have the adaptor you will still come across problems such as monkeys torquing up wheel bolts with air guns and scratches on your alloys that weren't there when you took the wheels down.

If you are in the Birmingham area I wold strongly recommend Bannings near Star City.

Posted 26th Jun 2011 at 19:57
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I propose a faq for good wheel balancing tbh , would be a good idea to get up a database

Posted 26th Jun 2011 at 20:06
monty-69

Senior User

Post #11
I had the same problem , had in back 3 times to ats, in the end i went in to the workshop and watched them balance them. They tried to centralise the wheels with the studs, i suggested the centralise them from the wheel centre and just use the studs to hold them to the machine- hey prestoCrazy
Posted 26th Jun 2011 at 23:41
tishockin

Regular

Post #12
well at least its sounding more like a wheel balance problem than my drive shafts. hopefuly armed with this info il be able to find somewhere that will be able to sort the wheels out for me, could realy do with being able to use the car again lol, thanks guys
Posted 27th Jun 2011 at 00:50
tishockin

Regular

Post #13
so yep, it was the wheel balance it seems, finaly got it sorted today and all seems to be well, have yet to take it up to so high end speeds but its a million times better.

still cant get over how many places cocked it up tho!
Posted 27th Jun 2011 at 23:59
kit

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
I seriously don't know what all the fuss is about. SO many threads on this subject, All I did was ring around a handful of tyre fitting companies and asked them if they had non centre cap adapters, found one who did and took it there.

Never had a problem with this in my 2 years of ownership Dunno

If anybody in the Beds/Bucks/Herts boarders needs a fitter who can do the job right drop me a PM, I've been using them for years. Cheap, friendly and can balance them first go.

Racing driver, fighter pilot, astronaut, compulsive liar.
Posted 28th Jun 2011 at 00:03
eliotrw

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Yeah but our point is we have been told that they can do them and it turns out shit. In my case this happened twice, you are lucky

Posted 28th Jun 2011 at 01:37
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Jeeeesus! Those figures are insane...that's not balancing that's called robbery!

Mine went on the machine at around 15-90 and when finished they were literally 0 if not 5.

The difference is brilliant! No shake right upto 80 and down again, that was Bush Tyres in Beverley East Yorkshire if anyone local is reading this Smile

VW Golf GT TDI 115, 100k nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted 28th Jun 2011 at 03:51