displaying posts 1 to 18 of 18

Author Subject: belt kit and wp
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
yes i know this is another cambelt thread and there has been hundreds of them, i have looked before anyone complains. my query is how important is it to get the tensioner+idler and water pump changed with the belt? i ask because im looking at buying a 6 that had the belt done just 5k/6months ago but no idea about the others, and as far as i know its the first belt change its had in 70k. am i right to be concerned and want the tensioner and water pump changed for peace of mind?

supercharged China gti6 - Thu 16th Sep 1999 - sold
2010 megane rs250
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 04:28
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Absolutely, if the water pump goes you'll either melt your engine or spend as much getting it replaced as you would've done doing a timing belt.

Anyone who doesn't get it done with the belt is a foooooool.

Same for tensioner. If it goes, pop goes your engine. If WP or tensioner weren't changed, I would consider that alike to timing belt not changed at all.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 04:51
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
well that has confirmed what i feared. im glad i asked this and very glad you explained that well. i think i will be asking for it all to be changed before i make the 250 mile trip home with it if i decide to get it.

thankyou

2010 megane rs250
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 05:00
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Do they have the paperwork from when the belt was done? Often when people say "timing belt done" they do actually mean the belt, tensioners and sometimes water pump as well.

If any part of the timing system (pulleys etc) go then it's disasterous in the same way, I'd be surprised (but not massively) if someone really cheapened out and didn't bother, but changing just the belt is an absolute waste of money.

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 06:04
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I know people that have only had the belt done so I know people do do it. Is there any comeback on the garage that did the belt if the water pump fails in this instance?

I'm hoping he's going to find the paperwork and say its all been done. If not then looks like first place it will be going is a garage if I get it

2010 megane rs250
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 12:08
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Nope, none at all. If they weren't asked to do the water pump then they don't have to do it. Completely different component, you'd have no comeback at all.

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 15:28
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Water pump hasn't been done so looks like I'm going to have to suggest he gets it done asap, or drop the price and I will do it. Looks like he's followed Peugeots recommendation and so according to that it's all right, but you guys know better and I would rather follow what you say

2010 megane rs250
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 17:42
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
It's really a peace of mind thing - countless people have melted engines because the water pump's gone, the idea of running the same one after 70,000 miles would leave me very much on edge. For the sake of about £50 extra I'd always have it done with a timing belt.

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 17:54
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
TBH i dont think its as bad as not having the tensioners done. I haven't heard of many cases where the water pump has seized - unlike the frequent belt snapping you seem to hear about.

Really you should have it done when you have the belt done as it just saves labour costs and its only another £50, however i'm not sure i'd go to the trouble of re-doing it all just to replace the water pump.

The consequences of it going are indeed grave, but its less likely to happen compared to say an overdue cambelt/tensioner kit.

Also worth bearing in mind that many people half the cambelt interval (to 36K) so the waterpump should would last 2 changes. But like owain said if its been 70k and on the original it could do with replacing.

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 18:00
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Yeah I totally agree with you. He seems like a good genuine guy so I think he should be ok with getting it done, I hope so anyway. Any idea how much it will all cost? I've messaged Carl in the hope that he can quote me a good price but no reply yet

2010 megane rs250
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 18:02
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
If you get someone decent like Carl, he can probably do the lot for about £300 or so I'd have thought.

That's the annoying thing about timing belts / tensioners / water pump - it's not like you can leave it and just get it fixed if/when it goes, it's a case of "oh, it just went. New engine time".

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 18:04
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Yeah and if it goes it's not cheap is it

2010 megane rs250
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 18:28
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
No

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 18:31
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #14
In my experience good quality water pumps will last for 100k easily. The engine manuals state the pump should be inspected at belt change and replaced if necessary, and any competent garage would do this. People on here seem to get The Fear™ about cambelts and water pumps. Shortening the belt change interval (as Citroen did) stops the belt snapping issues but as Ben said the pump really doesn't need to be changed that often.

I know if I was selling that car I wouldn't budge on price due to the pump not being changed if the belt was only done 6 months ago.

If you want to have it done again, including the water pump, for 'peace of mind' then you should foot the bill yourself. Unless it's priced at the very top end of the market he'll easily find a buyer that won't question the water pump.

Rich
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 19:09
m306

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
So the water pump should last until the next change if I'm lucky. But what if the tensioner hasn't been done? Is that alot more serious? Would that warrant getting it changed again? Yes the fear is a permanent factor and is always there in the back of my mind. Im still swaying towards getting it done for peace of mind

2010 megane rs250
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 20:15
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Depends how much you'll worry about it. I had no idea when mine was done, could've been done just before I bought it but I didn't know, there was no paperwork, so I just stumped up the cash myself knowing that would last me longer than the car would.

As Rich says it'll probably all be fine, just depends whether you're the kind of person who would worry every time you put your foot down or whether you're not bothered.

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 20:17
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Well its your call but personally I wouldn't bother as the chances of it going aren't that high.

I had my cambelt & waterpump done at carls and the bill was £288 inc vat but £20 of that was to have my keys recoded.

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 20:17
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
If i were you, being 70k and its first belt change, i would get all three done. The belt, tensioner and waterpump.

As said its peace of mind really. Take it somewhere good and you know its done to a decent standard with quality parts - you also need to be wary about people putting cheap branded belts on which can and will snap before the 36K interval.

Just bite the bullet and have them all done. Smile

Edit; when i bought mine the belt was said to be just changed - then some bolts from the underside engine cover got in the belt and damaged it, forcing me to get a new one but im bloody glad i did as the cheap, thin and nasty belt on there did little to inspire my confidence.

The gates belt kit that replaced it was alot thicker and higher quality.

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 20:21