displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: Gear change diagnosis help
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #1
Right slightly funny one with the gears/clutch just looking for a bit of guidance before I go buying parts or trying to check for problems that are way off the mark.

All the symptoms are intermittent which leads me to believe something is on its way out just hoping its not the clutch as this was done circa 10k ago, then so was one of the gear linkages but I guess there are 3 of them and only one was replaced.

So the situation is when I go for a gear, most noticeable when going 2nd to 3rd it just feels like something is in the way I can hold it there under pressure for a bit and it’ll pop in or I can come back to neutral and try again where it usually will go in sometimes I have to press the clutch twice.

The clutch feels to be operating normally its not heavy and the bite point is where it’s always been, its just had new gearbox oil, drive shaft seals were done at the same time.

This lot is leading me to thinking its the gear linkages all worn out again, think of going for Miles ones anyone know if they are still £45 posted for forum members and a GE quick shift obviously will be a massive change but don’t want to put all my pennies in that pot if you guys think what I have sounds more like clutch problems.

Sorry for the long write up, I know some like to read tho Wink

This site is my mechanical bible, Thank-you everyone!!
Posted 21st Jun 2011 at 14:58
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #2
no one got any ideas??

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 17:13
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
which oil was used?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 17:19
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #4
Stuff from the local Pug shop

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 17:20
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
sounds to me like clutch, but if the bite is normal then it should be ok.
linkages could have been bent?
or realease bearing could have had it

309 GTi6-T
Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 17:38
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
sounds like synchros to me if the clutch is only 10k old.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 17:40
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #7
Sorry to be unknowledgeable with gear boxes but is there any simple testing I can do to determine if its release bearings or syncro related

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 17:44
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #8
Just putting this link up for my and anyone else with a problem for future reference.

LinkagesvsSyncro

Posted 23rd Jun 2011 at 18:18
froggy0231

Post #9
if it goes into reverse without crunching then its the syncro"s mate

OWNER OF AA AUTOS ,SPECIALIZING IN ALL 306"S SPARES, REPAIRS, AND CAR SALES IN THE SOUTHWEST(DEVON) PUGS BOUGHT FOR CASH
Posted 30th Jun 2011 at 01:23
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #10
Sometimes it crunches sometimes it doesn't used to do it a lot when i first got the car back in 2008 only occasionally now probably down to me being aware that its best to go into 1st then reverse with these boxes.

Posted 1st Jul 2011 at 15:34
mikepfc8909

Post #11
From past experience on my car, i used to find it hard going into first and second and like you said its intermittent, I got a relative to look at it for me and he suggested getting the clutch and clutch cable done. so i did so, the the gears then seemed fine and dandy then i took it on holiday for a long drive from portsmouth to devon, half way thru the holiday it started again and it became hard to get into gear, RAC was called and they suggested the same thing that it was the clutch again, wich confused me because it had just been done few days prior to going on holiday.
Any way cutting to the chase, RAC took it to a good garage and they looked at it for me to see what was really wrong with it, out come is that (cant really remember what it is called) the arm that turns to pull out the clutch is semi siezed witch then cause the auto adjuster on the clutch to tighten and get to its top point so it cant adjust any more ther for not opening up the clutch enough to get the gear in place.

sorry for massive story, just wanted to explain how i went about this sorta problem.
Posted 2nd Jul 2011 at 03:32
hismastersfinger11

Regular

Post #12
Don't worry about the massive storey cause that made loads of helpful sense!!

So i managed to scrape sometime aside for the car Saturday morning had a good wiggle of all the gear linages and the highest short one is loose at the end with the large cup presume this to now be my culprit so when i have some spare cash i'll be getting some new gear linkages and hoping the problem goes away (FINGERS CROSSED!!!)

I also did a little pikey fix on that clutch arm mentioned above with a bit of WD40 and it much improved the pedal feel! As it was a little stiff i will replace the clutch cable when doing the gear linkages as I've probably reached the end of my self adjustment and what's a clutch cable and an afternoon worth anyway, pennies

Posted 4th Jul 2011 at 15:12
karazu

Junior User

Post #13
Here in Brazil I got something very similar... when I go 2nd to 3th it crunches. My mechanic told me that was sincro... so... I did open the gearbox and change the sincro... 5 months later it happen again...

some peugeots mechanics told me that it could be the 3th drive gear.

whem I got the sincro from ¾ I will take a pic and post here...

ahhh... any other part out of the gera box are OK, everything is new!

thanksss
Posted 5th Jul 2011 at 05:23