displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: What pistons/rods for high boost
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Iv read a few projects now and have noticed that some people use Wossner pistons and PEC rods others use IASA pistons and Sanez rods, is it just the case of which ones are cheaper at the time or are one make better than the other?
Posted 15th Jun 2011 at 19:07
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Anyone?
Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 00:48
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
It really comes down to budget.

The Wossner pistons and PEC rods are good value, particularly if bought together in a package.

The SAENZ rods are lighter than PEC rods, the machine work is of much better quality and finished to more accurate tolerences, and the finishing / treatment process is better too. The downside is you will pay around £850 just for the rods.

The IASA pistons are again lighter than the Wossner pistons and they are also fully coated (whereas Wossner only have the skirts coated). Price wise, I expect the IASA pistons would be around £600 a set these days, although I’ve not ordered any for a while.

I use the SAENZ rods and Wossner pistons in my car, however the choice is yours depending on how much you want to spend.

I’ve built several engines with various combinations, they all work and do the same job. The advantage of paying more for the lighter components is to reduce rotating mass within the engine, which is of benefit for high-revving engines, and the high-boost S/C engines do like to rev on and on. It’s also for peace of mind, like anything, you get what you pay for!

Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 15:56
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
I'd speak to a few engine builders, you'll find many will have a preferred supplier or manufacturer which often is led by ease of supply and willingness to make things like pistons to custom designs, as well as cost.

no point having a really good cheap product, if it takes months for them to be delivered.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 16:00
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
if you have money id go for the lightest option as Rich_w says. If you can get a higher revving engine then a cam change to use that power band can be made to suit and your onto a winner (Y)

309 GTi6-T
Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 16:20
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
I chopped in my PEC rods when I saw how much material had to be removed to get them balanced. I went for the Saenz rods in the end as they seemed to be of a much higher quality, nothing exactly wron with the PEC rods, but when you have one of each in your hands you can see where the extra money goes and I really wanted the extra peace of mind.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 16th Jun 2011 at 16:47
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Think it's a Winner on Saenz rods, Only Arrow would get a look in from me for quality, Piston wise again I only use JE or Omega but neither are cheap

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 17th Jun 2011 at 01:03