displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: brake knock
dan164

Post #1
i have just started to have this problem, when cold the brakes are fine, when hot i get a slight squeek and braking to loose speed they are fine, its when im coming to a stop im getting a bad knock from the o/s/f. it like the calipers hanging off but its secure, anyone else had this? i can move the pad with a screwdriver and it springs back down with a bit of a knock, any suggestions welcome, will put a set of pads in tomorrow to see if this sorts it
Posted 11th Jun 2011 at 01:49
matty_rallye

Senior User

Post #2
If the caliper is secured ok then i guess the pad could be shifting in the carrier but sounds unlikely tbh. Has the fault developed after fitting some new pads or has it just started to develop when nothing has been done?

2.1 16v 306 Rallye.
Posted 11th Jun 2011 at 01:57
dan164

Post #3
i had a bend steering arm, so replaced it and a new ball joint, had a recent wishbone as the hole in the hub was elongated, so 2nd hand hub and new wishbone, have had levers and waterpump plyers everywhere i can get them, it drove fine for 2 weeks after doing this, just started last friday and ive been on call since so not been using it, cleaned up and refitted pads earlier but no better. it sounds like a cv joint, but only happens when coming to a halt
Posted 11th Jun 2011 at 02:08
GTI-6

Regular

Post #4
Mate, did you find the fault?
I got the same issues.

n/s/f is otherwise fine but makes a big clunk when braking hard to stop. Had a look at the carrier etc. All seems ok. Fitted new pads, but there were on for like two weeks before this. Will have another look today.

Love thy 6
Posted 18th Jan 2013 at 03:06
GTI-6

Regular

Post #5
bump'd

Love thy 6
Posted 18th Jan 2013 at 09:03
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I have had this once before and was the wishbone itself broken at the rear poly joint. Felt fine under normal driving but when braking could definitley feel a clunk. Hope this is of some use

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 18th Jan 2013 at 09:17
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
A clunk would suggest something loose/broken on susp rather than a brake fault imoThumbs up

If the pads are correctly fitted and the caliper secure/sliders ok theres nowt else really that can move/make a noiseWink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 18th Jan 2013 at 09:24
boost

Regular

Post #8
i had a similar problem to this the caliper was making a knocking noise and i could move the pads with a screwdriver turned out the piston in the caliper was sticking was coming out so far then it would stick cleaned the piston moving it back and forth wd40 and a new set of pads its been fine ever since Smile

97 1.6 xs gti6 conversion Smile scrapped
99 black rallye ( low miles and immaculate Thumbs up ) sold
new owner of a 2001 diablo red hdi mile muncher Smile swapped
99 red rallye turbo sold then died Sad
00 moonstone 1.9d (slow)
Posted 18th Jan 2013 at 09:47
GTI-6

Regular

Post #9
Supercharged 6 - I changed the p bush and the front bush a few weeks back, had a look today so ita not that. Thanks though.

coskev - you thinking a broken coil? I agree with you though. Got new TREs, drop links and ball joints so I'll check the pads tomorrow. Might be the anti roll bar bush on the clamp to the chassis now I think about it. Cheers

boost - I noticed the pad had a little movement up and down whilst the caliper was still in place. Is that what you mean?

Love thy 6
Posted 18th Jan 2013 at 13:06