displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: 4 wheel vs 2 wheel tracking
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #1
I fitted new ball joints bushes and wish bones the other day and the car feels a bit rubbish handling wise. Wheels tend to want to wander a bit and i've noticed some new outer wall wear on each front tyre. Almost like i've got a small amount of positive camber. Before anyone says it, they're the correct length ball joints and the camber isn't majorly noticeable (unlike some of the short ball joint stories).

One of my tyres is badly worn anyway (almost a slick) so i'm hoping that getting two new tyres and the tracking sorted will solve this problem, thoughts?

Also when i phoned up to book the car in, the guy said i might have to have 4 wheel tracking as opposed to 2. Is this normal? How would they track the rear wheels?

Thanks in advance guys!
Jim

"We never have any near misses, we hit them every time!"

clicky code for my benefit

[ url= http://www.website.com]My link[/url ]
Posted 6th Jun 2011 at 23:18
ryans6

Junior User

Post #2
They can't adjust the rear wheels, i have a 4 wheel alignment system at work and i would love to know how adjust torsion bars!! We just charge more for four wheel alignment.
LOL

BLACK 6
Posted 7th Jun 2011 at 00:15
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #3
yeh but what is 4 wheel alignment? Does it actually exist, because yes, its double the price surprisingly.

Posted 7th Jun 2011 at 01:20
ryans6

Junior User

Post #4
Only the front toe can be adjusted on a 306. The torsion bar on a 306 is solid and can't be adjusted.
I have the Corghi Blacktech system at work and there is no possible way of adjusting the rear axle.
Go with two wheel tracking if i was u, easier on your pocket and your getting the same job done.

BLACK 6
Posted 7th Jun 2011 at 03:20
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #5
well thats what i thought, what the hell is this 4 wheel tracking the guy keeps chatting about then, some kind of money making ploy?

Posted 7th Jun 2011 at 03:21
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
I'd still go for 4 wheel tbh, then you are not relying on the rear wheels being in the right place to get the front ones right!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Jun 2011 at 03:26
ryans6

Junior User

Post #7
If u had a BMW or a Honda they can be adjusted front and rear, u can adjust camber,caster, toe on both axles. Unfortunatly the 306 has a torsion bar on the rear which is just one part with no adjustable parts, and the front suspension is normal struts supported by very basic wishbone arms with no adjustment available.
The only thing which is adjustable is the track rod ends, honestly you will be wasting your money with a 4 wheel tracking.

BLACK 6
Posted 7th Jun 2011 at 03:34
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
indeed that I accept, but you still need to know if there's something wrong at the back whilst you're at it LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Jun 2011 at 03:56
ryans6

Junior User

Post #9
Its very rare to see a torsion bar alignment perfect, we do a lot of new cars straight from the docks and even thet are not always perfect.

BLACK 6
Posted 7th Jun 2011 at 13:51
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
As ryans6 says, on cars with four proper suspension struts you need 4-wheel alignment, but it's not possible on a '6. End of.

The only thing is that if they can check it and it's well out, you might have a mechanical problem. But nothing you can fix without rebuilding your rear beam.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 7th Jun 2011 at 15:02
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I think its worth going 4. At least you'll know what the rear is doing and there is some adjustment in the beam mounts to get the toe even (if you can be arsed). I'd be very surprised if new cars were 100% accurate every time.

Oh and make sure your tyre pressures are correct before doing it. So many people don't do that.

Nothing to see here
Posted 7th Jun 2011 at 15:58