displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Shorter alternator belt for no AC or PAS.
devere

Senior User

Post #1
Does anyone have a part number, or at the least some hints and tips on what alternator belt i could run on my Rallye.

Obviously it has no AC, and im going to be getting rid of the power steering pump aswell.

Is there anyone who has done it and knows which shorter belt would work?
Posted 5th Jun 2011 at 00:23
devere

Senior User

Post #2
Anyone at all got rid of the PAS pump?? Or would there be anyway to go through a list of belt sizes to find something if i measured it?
Posted 6th Jun 2011 at 22:37
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
At a guess you could cut the old one to the new size minus the power steering pump then go buy one that matches the new required size ?

Assume you still need to use the tensioner and Idler ?
Posted 6th Jun 2011 at 22:46
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #4
I've got the lengtth written down in my Haynes manual at work, I'll post up the info tomorrow for you.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 6th Jun 2011 at 22:52
devere

Senior User

Post #5
daveyboy wrote:
I've got the lengtth written down in my Haynes manual at work, I'll post up the info tomorrow for you.

Ah awesome! That would be a great help. did you have to run a tensioner on the setup you used then? Or was it such a good fit you didnt need one?

I found a link to someone who used a cambelt tensioner in the alt belt setup, so thats always a possiblity if its anything like you have done?
Posted 6th Jun 2011 at 23:04
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
To clarify I was running with my PAS pump relocated in conjunction with a spring loaded Rallye tensioner, sorry, the length I recorded is probably irrelevant now I guess?

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 6th Jun 2011 at 23:08
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Getting the belt on may be tricky without a tensioner ?

Posted 6th Jun 2011 at 23:08
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #8
devere wrote:
Does anyone have a part number, or at the least some hints and tips on what alternator belt i could run on my Rallye.

Obviously it has no AC, and im going to be getting rid of the power steering pump aswell.

Is there anyone who has done it and knows which shorter belt would work?

Don't ditch the PAS, all the racers I know that hane done it ended up reinstating it soon after.

Harness bars
Posted 6th Jun 2011 at 23:09
devere

Senior User

Post #9
Im not ditching it completely. Im going to run an electric setup. I need to find room for the new airbox for the my throttle bodies. The car was getting too much hot air last time i used it.

I saw its possible to fit the cambelt tensioner, where the bottom idler normally bolts on to the lower alternator bolt hole. And apparently a belt around th 710mm length would then fit that....

Im reluctant to relocate the pump to the bottom of the enginee. Firstly without seeing it, i dont know if it would clear my sump guard, and secondly, if it packed up (however unlikely) and needed changing, it would be a pain to remove said sump guard then get to it.
Posted 6th Jun 2011 at 23:21
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
it'll clear the sump guard fine, they sit just where the Aircon pump went with a bracket you can buy from Rich W, and I don't think they hang under the level of the flat bottom of the sump at all either, but I;m sure someone on here can take a pic as all the S-C guys use it (bar a few that retain a-c and use EPAS)

it is rare for them to give trouble too (especially compared to the electric pumps) so I wouldn't worry Smile

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Jun 2011 at 03:50
baz306gti-6

Regular

Post #11
205 gti alternator belt fits, none pas one, its not at wide but does the job on my 205 gti6

Put your spare GTI6 lump a 205 GTI
Peugeot Expert 1.9D (69bhp Beast)
Peugeot 306 GTI6 £700 (For Sale)
1995 328 BMW coupe (blew it up)
1987 205 GTI6 (Now back on the road)
New 1991 Miami blue 205 Gti (sold)

........Good times Smile
Posted 17th Aug 2011 at 04:36
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #12
You want a 6PK700 belt. 6 ribbed, 700 mm long.

Routes around just the pulley and alternator. You will need to use a cambelt tensioner (£40 from Peugeot, or I have a spare if you go down this route) which fits on the aux bracket. There is a hole pre tapped there.

Here's mine:

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 17th Aug 2011 at 15:00