displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: High oil temperature
colm_gti

Post #1
Had the 306 at it's first trackday under my ownership yesterday and I noticed the oil temperature was getting worryingly high duirng hot laps, about 125-130 degrees, but would cool straight down to circa 100 degrees during a cool down lap.

Has anyone else ever experience such high oil temps, is it normal for them to run so hot?

Is it a case of needing an oil cooler if you plan on regularly trackdaying a gti6, or just better oil? I'm currently using Total 5w40 fully synth.

Colm
Posted 28th May 2011 at 18:43
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Yeah its common for them to get that high or higher on track, some try expensive oils but most owners who intend on doing more trackdays fit an oil cooler. Thermostatic take off plates are best as they allow the oil to warm up quicker. Mine still nudges 120c with a 19 row mocal cooler.

EDIT: I always flush my oil after each trackday or two depending on what temperatures it reached, i think it starts to break down above 120c so its worth changing imo Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 28th May 2011 at 18:49
colm_gti

Post #3
Cool, I may go and get myself an oil cooler so, thanks for the speedy reply Smile

Any suggestions as to where to pick one up?

And yeah I was thinking it would be in my best interests to change the oil alright, I may do it during the week.
Posted 28th May 2011 at 18:53
davedgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
That temp perfectly normal for on track, will still be higher than normal even with an oil cooler but obviously would be a tad lower than your seeing at moment

Team Supercharged Gti-6 Ninja
Posted 28th May 2011 at 19:48
colm_gti

Post #5
I think 140 degrees is a bit high for engine oil, I'd feel a bit safer if it was a little cooler to make sure pressure doesn't drop drastically
Posted 28th May 2011 at 20:57
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I got my latest oil cooler setup from ebay. Mocal thermostatic plate and braided lines from one person, and a couple of 13 row coolers from another seller, the 13 row radiators were circa £30 each, made by a british company and seem pretty good quality. I couldnt justify £60 odd each for mocal branded ones.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 29th May 2011 at 02:31