displaying posts 1 to 25 of 43

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: New car Bmw e46 330d Initial Thoughts
306brent

Regular

Post #1
Hi,

Been of this forum in awhile and recently purchased a a Bmw E46 3 Series 330d and thought i would give my thoughts incase anyone is thinking of purchasing one.

I picked mine up for 3k with 94k On the clock, full M-tech Kit and full black leather interior.

Driving it is a completely different experience to the 306 GTI. It seems to handle the road well, tho not as well as my 6' tho that may be down to my 6's full sports suspension and being lowered. Also the traction control likes to cut in mid corner cutting acceleration at the wrong time which is fairly annoying.

It certaintly dosent feel as fast as the 6' even tho it has a quoted 184Bhp and 390NM of torque. It's as if you put the foot down... barely any noise, barely any 'feel' of acceleration as you would expect from a torquey oil burner, but then you look at the speedo and realise your going much faster than expected.

It dosen'nt even feel as fast as my previous Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI that produced 160 BHP. I am wondering if this is just the sensation of it being my first RWD drive. I certainly miss the sound of the 6' and the high revving ( Compared to my 5k limit ).

On the plus side it seems to sit confortably at 50Mpg at around 70Mph and the interior of it is much superior to my 6' and the seat ibiza that was a 56 plate ( 5 years newer than the bmw ).

In summary its a comfortable drive, is reasonably quick but lacks the exitement of the feel. I would much rather take a blast in my 6'for fun but the bmw is a lot more refined. I do wonder if a new sports exhaust and aftermarker airfilter will give me a bit more " noise grunt " that i am after and will keep this updated.

Handling wise, round the famous 'twisties' the 6' is famous for i honestly think the Bmw would struggle but it does seem to sit confortably at high speeds.

I have heard re-maps of this cars can see it up to 220BHP and 470NM of torque however i am extremely reluctant to do this due to wanting a reliable car ( one of the reasons for purchase ).

Maintainence wise these cars tend to need to get their front wishbones changed as they tend to go, also the automatic suffers from a problem of "flaps" where they are sucked into the engine causing catastrophic damage, luckily they are not fitted to the manual. They also tend to break the plastic air manifold at around 80k which apparently is around 400-500 to replace.

Tyre's have just set me back around 100 quid a pop ( not even for that good ones ) so that seems much more than the 6' and to be honest i am hoping nothing else goes wrong as the whole reason for the german car for me at the moment is reliability after my old diesel ( MG ZR TDI banger runabout ) decided to run away on me blowing the turbo and head gasket.

I think thats about it, just hope i wont suffer the fate of many RWD cars and ditch it!!

Posted 23rd May 2011 at 19:49
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Get that crappy M badge off there!!
I looked at these when I was car hunting, but nothing great was about then. They should be fairly rapid though in a torquey kind of way.

Nothing to see here
Posted 23rd May 2011 at 19:54
si_man306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
The front wishbone issues are just to do with the bushes- i've gone through a set a year and have heard that this is normal! (E46 330coupe m-sport)

As far as the ride, it will be very different from the lowered 306 (I went into mine from an exige and it was like a bus for months!) you get used to it though as you need to give it time/ experience with the car to allow you to exploit what is an excellent chassis and a good handling package (providing your car is functioning as it should- i'm think this this suspension set up should be the same as the coupe?) After a year with mine it would crucify my 306 down most roads, and to be fair, probably the exige as you can put the power down so easily. But no, it's never going to be that immediate excitment/ feel that the 306 offered.

Get a full check up at a garage- esp the bushes (they're 'only' £150 to replace) and enjoy Wink

Give the car a good check over for rust too (if you haven't already) as they like to rust in most areas- esp the arches, bonnet, boot lid....

Just beware parts/ garage bills- fixing these tanks is not cheap! LOL

"Rules are for the interpretation of wisemen and the obedience of fools" (Colin Chapman, Lotus founder)
Posted 23rd May 2011 at 19:56
306brent

Regular

Post #4
Luckily had the bushes done recently, and yes the M badge will be coming off, it does look rather tacky!

Can imagine it's so different to being in an exige. As you've stated it should be a fast car but i am taking it steady whilst i get used to RWD, i hear they can be very unforgiving compared to a FWD!
Posted 23rd May 2011 at 19:58
mad_dave23

Senior User

Post #5
Did you get the manual or auto?
A remap is a must on these if you have a manual, I'd be a bit careful if it was a auto though!! 'lollypop' bushes will need changing at that mileage and totally transform the car!

I see you have had the bushes done, my bad!!Whistle
Posted 24th May 2011 at 01:01
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #6
Just to let you know, your car does have manifold swirl flaps, it's irrelevant being manual or automatic so get them removed soon as. I have a 320d and recently did mine.

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 24th May 2011 at 01:06
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Funny, I get what you are saying, I dont think the 540i feels as quick off the mark as our Mondeo TDCi and the 6 felt quicker than that... Something about big quiet cars that you just cant properly feel how fast they are...
Posted 24th May 2011 at 01:16
ian7675

Techno Viking

Post #8
I expect we'll get moaned at about mentioning a car that isn't French Roll eyes

Less than 24 hours to go!
Posted 24th May 2011 at 01:21
jakeypoo

Regular

Post #9
I can relate to this! I've got a 2.8 z3 and it doesn't feel as quick as the rallye did! 1st gear Is much shorter, and there us no drama with it being such a lazy engine revving engine making it feel slower than the rallye when in reality it it as quick if not quicker!
Posted 24th May 2011 at 09:48
AndyJ

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
New beemers are even worse for this, they just hit high speeds so effortlessly. Even the new M3s, although beautifully fast, they lack any charactor. There was a similar thread started the other day, forgive me whoever it was as I can't remember who started it, asking: what you would prefer, a big engined sports car, or a little hot hatch.

I always prefer a smaller car that can be chucked round, much more fun, anyday! At the extreme, go-karting, for me, is the most fun you can have on four wheels. Smile

For we are many.

PS£ ID: Monkey369

Posted 24th May 2011 at 12:21
si_man306

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Not that i'd encourage you to be getting it out of shape but they are VERY hard to get out of shape when pushing on. I used to love the constant 'adjustment' the rallye needed when driving (especially in the wet) if you over-cook corners in the e46 (non-M3) you tend to get understeer or the traction control comes in. Mine may be a little bit diferent as I have the stability control too? ESP.

What I did was get used to the way you need to use the weight to your advantage- flow through the corners rather than rapidly changing direction (true of all cars I guess but particularly relevant for heavy cars).

"Rules are for the interpretation of wisemen and the obedience of fools" (Colin Chapman, Lotus founder)
Posted 24th May 2011 at 14:24
dave-rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
ian7675 wrote:
Just to let you know, your car does have manifold swirl flaps, it's irrelevant being manual or automatic so get them removed soon as. I have a 320d and recently did mine.

The manual 184bhp doesnt have swirl flaps. However the auto 184bhp one does, along with both manual/auto 204bhp ones.

In addition, & to the OP, your probably disapointed by the handling as your car is an SE, not a Sport. As such, you are missing the M-SPort bodykit & suspension package, as pictured below on my daily:

TEAM: 182 Trophy & ITB'd 3 Series
Posted 24th May 2011 at 20:00
rikky 🦔

Post #13
diesel

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 24th May 2011 at 20:26
toby

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
rikky wrote:
diesel

Unless its a remapped 335d Big grin

Previous Peugeot - 2000(w)GTI-6, Me old China, Supercharged with working aircon!
Posted 24th May 2011 at 23:43
mad_dave23

Senior User

Post #15
rikky wrote:
diesel

LOL usual response untill you drive one!!
Posted 25th May 2011 at 01:35
gti-dan

Regular

Post #16
My daily is an e46 330d sport- had it 4 years too good to sell. I had it remapped after a year and it transforms the car I'd recommend it. You must be really pushing it to get traction control to kick in mid corner! With 225 profile tyres it's pretty hard to spin the wheels!

I have had swirl flaps removed, prob due another set of bushes and also had to have a recon gearbox - the age at which they go seems to vary. Mine was at about 140k.

You will definitely find how to really maximise it's power delivery and handling over the next few weeks.

Looking shiny after a good polish and wax!

Posted 25th May 2011 at 02:30
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Ahem, this is a pug forum. f*ck off with your German crap!!! Whistle

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 25th May 2011 at 03:14
pete26

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
SteviePut wrote:
Ahem, this is a pug forum. f*ck off with your German crap!!! Whistle

+1 hitler automobiles
LOL

Ph2 Black GTI6
Ph3 China GTI6
206 xsi manstone daily runner (GAY)
Ph1 Cherry Red GTI6
307 HDi 110

Posted 25th May 2011 at 03:27
rikky 🦔

Post #19
mad_dave23 wrote:
rikky wrote:
diesel

LOL usual response untill you drive one!!

trust me i own and drive better beemers than a diesel one LOL

i can possibly make one exception of a 335d coupe whic toby mentions but i actuall grit my teeth saying that

i will never ever own one though No not in my lifetime! i live for dirty gas guzzlers

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 25th May 2011 at 04:00
toby

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Hehe! I love the way my traction control cuts in at 130mph when pulling hard around an unbanked bend, the way it nips up to 160 with so little effort or noise is just incredible! 160mph is just 4000rpm! 

Previous Peugeot - 2000(w)GTI-6, Me old China, Supercharged with working aircon!
Posted 25th May 2011 at 04:32
judley

Regular

Post #21
toby wrote:
rikky wrote:
diesel

Unless its a remapped 335d Big grin

I run a 335D as my daily driver with an emaps remap. Circa 340hp and 500+lbs/ft which makes it extremely rapid. Probably the best all round car I've ever had now that I've discovered winter tyres LOL I had a 330D M Sport back in '02 and that was a great car (except in the snow) Crazy
Posted 25th May 2011 at 04:33
306brent

Regular

Post #22
Seems we all seem to own Bmw's as daily cars LOL .

I'll have to look at getting another 6' when i eventually finish uni.

Has anyone had any luck with making the thing sound any better. Don't get me wrong i love the silence sometimes... but other times i just want some noise and drama! Maybe Decat, sports exhaust, air filter and re-map?

My old Seat ibiza cupra TDI definately sounded much throatier, not sure what these cars would sound like. Dont want it sounding like a powerful tractor Whistle
Posted 26th May 2011 at 02:26
judley

Regular

Post #23
306brent wrote:
Seems we all seem to own Bmw's as daily cars LOL .

I'll have to look at getting another 6' when i eventually finish uni.

Has anyone had any luck with making the thing sound any better. Don't get me wrong I love the silence sometimes... but other times I just want some noise and drama! Maybe Decat, sports exhaust, air filter and re-map?

My old Seat ibiza cupra TDI definately sounded much throatier, not sure what these cars would sound like. Dont want it sounding like a powerful tractor Whistle

I think if you go on some of the BMW forums there are guys that ar running decats, filtration and remaps with bigger/better cooling. To be honest, I think you're asking for trouble as the limits are probably close in terms of reliability etc. I just enjoy the pace, poise and economy of the remapped car. Overall driving is 38MPG and I can get high 40's if I drive it like a pussy on a long run Smile
Posted 26th May 2011 at 02:38
toby

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
I enjoy the quiet effortless torque of the remapped 335d, it will dispense with most other machinery on the road without sounding like you're ringing its neck! I paid a few hundred pounds for the remap that gave loads of extra power & torque but retains economy and reliabilty! The torque is set by the maximum recommended by the manufacturer of the gearbox and not the engine! Apparently they don't offer a manual or DCT because there is too much torque from the stock engine for them to cope with it!

Posted 26th May 2011 at 02:49
306brent

Regular

Post #25
Seems most have their cars remapped, would you reccomend it and does it provide a noticeable performance increase.

I am toying with the idea, but as you say will it affect reliablity to a severe degree. I am quite paranoid about that as my last car ( Tho it was a MG ZR TD ) had the turbo blow, car " ran away" burning its own oil and blew the head gasket.

Car cost circa 2k and got nothing from insurance as it was mechanical failure. Dont want that happening to the BM!

For info mines the 184BHP manual box, engine sound healthy and its at around 94k mileage... do hear these cars will go a fair bit longer than that tho.

Very jelous of the 335d though, wish i could afford one, hear they are on par with an M3 once remapped in terms of in gear acceleration Shock
Posted 26th May 2011 at 03:03

Pages (2): [1] 2