displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Removing heat exchanger
405gti6

Junior User

Post #1
Hi.

Due to my 405 radiator not having a inlet for a 3rd water hose Im thinking of removing the whole lot and get a oil cooler at a later stage...

I'm going to chop the top hose to bypass the exchanger and mate it to the same diameter 405 top hose. I did a search and found that you simple screw on a oil filter straight on the block after removal. However that won't work atm as theres no threads to screw it onto, and the one for the exchanger is a little bit too long LOL .

And also is there no overflow hose on the GTI6? By removing the exchanger I will be running the bottom hose, the top hose and the two on the back into the heater matrix. The setup on this block doesn't really look like the one on servicebox for the XU10J4RS? And Im correct thinking theres no water tank on the GTI6 right?

XU10J4RS powered 405 Big grin.
Posted 20th May 2011 at 01:07
pugjim

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
The GTi6 cooling system doesnt have an expansion tank as such you fill the cooling system directly into the radiator, there is an overflow pipe on the filler neck of the radiator. To fit the oil filter directly to the block you need the screw in thread from a 205 GTi etc.
Posted 20th May 2011 at 01:15
405gti6

Junior User

Post #3
Ok great. Thats the same setup as on the 405 Smile
I have a XU10 with the threads I believe. Its a XU10J2

XU10J4RS powered 405 Big grin.
Posted 20th May 2011 at 01:39
pugjim

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
405gti6 wrote:
Ok great. Thats the same setup as on the 405 Smile
I have a XU10 with the threads I believe. Its a XU10J2

If the xu10j2 doesnt have a heat exchager then that will be the part you need. There not easy to remove without damaging the thread though. Very cheap from the dealers too.
Posted 20th May 2011 at 02:41