displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: S16 inlet manifold help needed
m@tth

Post #1
Hi all, the S16 as far as i was aware has throttle butterfly type things in the inlet. Im torn between buying what ever is needed to fix standard set up but also considered removing the butterflys to give the car max airflow at all revs but dont know if this is possible or give any gain. the last opttion is to go for a gti6 inlet which from what ive read is a popular upgrade.

Any help, info or past experience is much appreciated.
Posted 18th May 2011 at 23:46
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
What's wrong with it at the moment?

I'm down in Cardiff on Friday working but will be going past Newport on the way back if you are about I can stop by and have a look at it for you.

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 19th May 2011 at 00:03
m@tth

Post #3
The diaphrams are broken so the butterflys dont open, could be more wrong but havntreally started properly investigating yet, been busy sorting gearbox mount and the last owners previous bodges. Thanks for the offer but im in Newport Isle of Wight!!
Posted 19th May 2011 at 00:34
benjfrst

Post #4
jamming them either way is a no no you end up with low down torque and f all top end or vice versa

i would take the kind offer

*edit just seen your reply, i will be getting rid of my system in the next two weeks if you want to keep it and hold out for new diaphragms etc
Posted 19th May 2011 at 00:36
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #5
Get them fixd.
When its all set up correctly and working as it should its a good set up!
Posted 19th May 2011 at 00:36
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
m@tth wrote:
Thanks for the offer but im in Newport Isle of Wight!!

Ahh that'll teach me to double check there aren't any other town by the same names as the one I know Razz

Best thing to do is unplug the vacuum line from the t piece that joins the 2 solenoids and check you are getting a vacuum there when the ecu switches the solenoids over when revved. If the vacuum lines have never been changed the chances are they have perished by now and so leaking.

As long as the vacuum pump on the end of the cylinder head is working the only other part that may fail is the electrical solenoid attached to the cylinder head.

If you need any pics of routing of the vacuum lines etc just shout Smile

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 19th May 2011 at 01:59
m@tth

Post #7
dan_s16 wrote:
m@tth wrote:

Ahh that'll teach me to double check there aren't any other town by the same names as the one I know Razz

Best thing to do is unplug the vacuum line from the t piece that joins the 2 solenoids and check you are getting a vacuum there when the ecu switches the solenoids over when revved. If the vacuum lines have never been changed the chances are they have perished by now and so leaking.

As long as the vacuum pump on the end of the cylinder head is working the only other part that may fail is the electrical solenoid attached to the cylinder head.

Many thanks for that. I will take you up on that when i get the idle sorted. Alot of the piping is missing and there is no sign of a T piece. Im making the car sound like a right old turd but the story goes....I owned this car a few years ago and got rid of it then regreted it, then many years later a mate of mine had brought it as a non runner but had no time to fix it so i inherited it back!! Its now running but wont idle(another problem),interior is all fitted back in,new clutch and driveshaft and mot next week (if itll idle!!). So its a work in progress with muck work left & a respray when all the mechanicals are sorted!!! Gonna need a lot of silicone vacuum pipe i think!!

Jackanory over,time for part hunting on ebay!!
Posted 19th May 2011 at 23:47
eme16

Post #8

Hey.... just wanted to know if anyone here knows of an online store that sells these diaphragms,solenoid,electrovalve things...especially the diaphragms....

thanxxx

m@tth wrote:
dan_s16 wrote:
m@tth wrote:

Many thanks for that. I will take you up on that when i get the idle sorted. Alot of the piping is missing and there is no sign of a T piece. Im making the car sound like a right old turd but the story goes....I owned this car a few years ago and got rid of it then regreted it, then many years later a mate of mine had brought it as a non runner but had no time to fix it so i inherited it back!! Its now running but wont idle(another problem),interior is all fitted back in,new clutch and driveshaft and mot next week (if itll idle!!). So its a work in progress with muck work left & a respray when all the mechanicals are sorted!!! Gonna need a lot of silicone vacuum pipe i think!!

Jackanory over,time for part hunting on ebay!!
Posted 23rd Oct 2013 at 21:56