displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Engine swap any tips/advice
whibley

Junior User

Post #1
I've managed to hold of a engine and going to do it next weekend hopefully,the problem the engines from a car 2 years newer I'm guessing it will be a strait swap(fingers crossed). I was thinking bout doin the cambelt water pump when the engines out, would you guys recommend doing anything else while I'm at it? Is there any tricks of the trade when swapping a engine in a 6 to maker experiance a little easy for self.
Posted 16th May 2011 at 11:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
dont forget the manifold to downpipe fire ring kit, one from peugoet is best and not too expensive, check the engine mountings whilst you're at it, o.e replacements for a road car, BBM for track/rally.

driveshaft seals, BJ pinch bolts, check for any leaks from cam and crank seals.

doint it all before it goes in will save lots of time Smile

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th May 2011 at 17:38
ravemercer

Regular

Post #3
If track rod ends havent been done in a while use a jack to put pressure under the joint stops that spinning and replace for new.
also 11mm ratchet spanner for the drive shaft that goes through the lower engine mount those poxy 11mm nuts are a pain in the arse.
genuine pug gearbox oil 2L for about 14 quid
drop links the ribbid plastics ones are quite cheap worth doing while your there if quite old
with the pinch bolts socket cap bolts work quite well
clutch if unknown condition
Posted 16th May 2011 at 20:30
whibley

Junior User

Post #4
thanks for info, is a fairly easy job to do im quite good on basic spanners and ive only ever done engine swaps in 205 gti but this looks whole lot worse to me. what is the best way to remove the engine? hire a hoist or drop it through the bottom of the car and what sort of time limits should i be looking at
Posted 17th May 2011 at 03:25
benjfrst

Post #5
if you have done swaps before get stuck in what seems terribly complex now will soon unravel once you get started
Posted 19th May 2011 at 00:56
matt evans

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Id 100% be thinking of the rear main oil seal whilst its apart, along with everything else folks have said

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+ (now gone...)
2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180 (also gone...)
2006 Skoda Fabia vRS in Sprint Yellow

honestly3k wrote:
Do you wrestle for a living matt? You sound like a monster LOL

owain wrote:
Nothing involving a 306 can be considered worthwhile.

Posted 19th May 2011 at 01:46
whibley

Junior User

Post #7
thanks again for the advice but ive managed to get hold of another 6 for the right money so the swap wont be happening, only thing is what to do with my old 6 try and sell it or break it Sad
Posted 21st May 2011 at 22:52