displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: gearbox/clutch
lance xsi

Junior User

Post #1
hi all was out in the car the other week and all was fine, i havent used the car for a few weeks as not got any insurance, went to move the car and it will not go in gear with the engine on but will with the engine off, hmmmm

i thought it was the clutch seized but they someone sugested the gear selector was maybe seized, i thought about puttin it in gear then startin the engine but cba to pull my engine to pieces if i bent the fly wheel, any ideas would be much apriciated Big grin Big grin Big grin
Posted 15th May 2011 at 13:55
lance xsi

Junior User

Post #2
also worst case is the gear selector is knackered so i would need a new box, but does anyone know if the xsi 8v and the 16v use the same box??
Posted 15th May 2011 at 14:38
lance xsi

Junior User

Post #3
by the way when i was driving it there was no signs of wear i.e noises or signs of not engaging gear so it has been standing still for a few weeks,

PLEASE HELP I CANT MOVE MY CAR! Sad
Posted 15th May 2011 at 17:02
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Jack the car up, put it in 5th and turn the wheel to try and move everything. I have seen box's do this before and all was fine after everything had been moved.

If this does cure it I'd check/change your gearbox oil.

Pretty sure that the Xsi boxes are the same, they will certainly fit each other anyway.

Ryan
Posted 15th May 2011 at 18:00
lance xsi

Junior User

Post #5
yea mate thanks for that il give it a go, i was so worried bec i just fixed everything on it for the MOT then this happened and i aint even been out in it properly, i did give it a service the other week and forgot all about the box oil, lol, well i will post bac if it does cure it so anyone else can see the thread,

keep coming with ideas though Smile
Posted 16th May 2011 at 04:09
lance xsi

Junior User

Post #6
oh and when you say put it in 5th do i start the engine or with the engine off?? becuse when i tried to put it in 1st and start the engine with the clutch down the engine stalled was a little noise and got stuck in gear until i eventually freed the gear
Posted 16th May 2011 at 04:12