displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Help wiring slimline fans
colm_gti

Post #1
With only one of the fans on my gti6 working, and even at that it only works when I switch it on with the a/c switch, I'm looking into ditching the standard setup in favour of a revotec electronic fan switch controller and slimline fan, and just looking for some pointers from people who may have done this.

I have spoken to someone in revotec about wiring up one of these, and he said it's as simple as taking a 12v feed from the ignition, running it via a fuse to the fan controller, which has 2 other wires, one for an earth and the other that runs to the fan supplying it with a 12v supply. The fan also has another wire for earth.

Is it really going to be this simple? Or should there be relays included in the circuit also?

My other option was to wire it up to a toggle switch on the dash, in this case would it be as simple as replacing the electronic fan controller with a toggle switch mounted on the dash, or would relays be required in the circuit again?

Colm
Posted 14th May 2011 at 15:35
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I have done two slimline fans on mine, i got the 10" ones from CBS (Car Builder Solutions).
I just used the old relay box setup but wired it to the new fans.

Have you tried changing the relays or checking that the other fan actually works with a 12V feed?
Is there a good connection where the round connector plugs into the fan shroud (9 pin i think it is).

I was talking to the bloke from CBS and he reckons the fans only draw about 7A when running, but to start up may draw about 25A.
I don't know if such a current draw would upset a toggle switch or not, so a relay may be the way to go if thats the route you take.

Personally i would persivere into finding out why the one fan isnt working, theres some good info on here on the fans Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 14th May 2011 at 18:03
davedgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Just fitted a Revotec fan controller to my spal slimline fans today, yes it really is that simple and they do a kit that has a temperature switch that screws into the rad (m22) instead of the blank already there, no need to cut hoses or anything,

However if you don't really need slimline fans and your car is standard then getting the stock system working would probably be cheaper and better tbh,

Reason I have gone for this set-up is I have a big fook off intercooler in the way of my rad and I found that the fans coming on straight away at high speed was better in my instance, as the low speed fans did not do a lot sitting in traffic, when the high speed fans did kick in the temperature was a bit high for my liking, then the fans stopped working altogether so fitted the aftermarket temperature controller today.

The Revotec kit does seem a simple solution and is a doddle to fit, although it is a bit expensive for what you get, but at least you cam adjust the temperature that the fans kick in at Smile

Team Supercharged Gti-6 Ninja
Posted 14th May 2011 at 22:55