displaying posts 26 to 50 of 87

Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: 80 MPH on the motorway
benn25

Regular

Post #26
I don't understand why they just don't autobahn sections of the motorways it specific times.
Posted 11th May 2011 at 18:27
mark.evs

Senior User

Post #27
This sh*t drives me nuts. I think rather than raise the limit we should just educate british drivers, the middle lane hoggers etc, half the people out there cant even park!! if they have no idea of the dimensions of their car when they're parking how do they manage when they get out on the road! No-one uses indicaters (unless they're in the wrong lane and want to cut in because they're to stupid to read the signs and get in the right lane to start with).

I did a road trip around europe in 2008 (germany, prague, munich, bratislavia and amsterdam) and the only traffic we got stuck in over 7 days was the M4 on the way home. every1 out there knew exactly how to use the roads and it was brilliant.

My GTi6 track project

White Rallye project
Posted 11th May 2011 at 18:39
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
benn25 wrote:
I don't understand why they just don't autobahn sections of the motorways it specific times.

Because when you look at the standards of driving in places like Germany/Austria they are way higher than ours. There is no f*cking about on the autobahn, you're either doing 120mph or you stay the f*ck out of the two outside lanes. No lane hogging, no chopping and changing. British drives simply couldn't cope with this and I think it would be dangerous. Mellow
Posted 11th May 2011 at 20:39
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
heard on the radio today you will be able to get on the spot fines for lane hogging Smile

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 11th May 2011 at 20:54
joe5y

Senior User

Post #30
jim01uk wrote:
benn25 wrote:

Because when you look at the standards of driving in places like Germany/Austria they are way higher than ours. There is no f*cking about on the autobahn, you're either doing 120mph or you stay the f*ck out of the two outside lanes. No lane hogging, no chopping and changing. British drives simply couldn't cope with this and I think it would be dangerous. Mellow

+1 to this - I'm sick of selfish drivers on our roads. It's becoming dangerous!

noaki wrote:
im sorry i wasn't aware 306gti6.com was a cult
LOL
** Team: EX-GTI-6 ** Team: EX-Phase 3 ** Team: EX-Black!

EX owner of a 1999 Peugeot 306 GTI-6 in Black
2006 VW Golf GT-Tdi 170 in Black
1996 Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo In Red
2005 Mitsubishi L200 Warrior in black, chipped with bigger wheels.
2007 Vauxhall Vivaro in Navy blue with alloys and lowered
Posted 11th May 2011 at 20:55
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
SteviePut wrote:
Seriously tho, if there was no speed limit how fast would you really go if you were on a long journey? I for one on a long haul wouldn't be doing much more than 80 anyway regardless of what the speed limit wasSmile

150mphLOL

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 11th May 2011 at 20:58
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
adam b wrote:
Rated to 70mph. For what weight of vehicle? 3.5t van?

Exactly what I thought, it has to be able to be hit by lorries which, even at lower speeds, can be carrying 20x the momentum of a car. Therefore we can safely assume this "70mph rating" is a bo***cks concept.

adam b wrote:
f*ck me most people can't drive properly on the motorways as it is - increasing the speed of the cretins isn't going to help. We'd all go faster if the middle laners f*cked off.

SPOT ON what I was about to say. Our roads would be infinitely faster if people drove properly and in the correct lane, I would actually be *against* raising the limit.

You see that guy? The one in the wrong lane? On his phone? About to pull out into you because he hasn't checked his blind spot? Well he wouldn't be doing it at 70 any more, he'd be doing it at 80.

Fcuk that.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 11th May 2011 at 21:05
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
That drives me f*cking insane, following someone on the slip road and then they immediately pull into the middle lane of a 3 lane carriage way even though there is nothing else on the road.

I generally over take correctly then pull across to the inside lane right in front of them to make a point.

Lane discipline on a motorway is hugely more critical than speed. A slower speed limit simply covers up peoples shit driving and general f*ck ups. I guess thats why its 50 in the US
Posted 12th May 2011 at 00:50
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
mark.evs wrote:
I did a road trip around europe in 2008 (germany, prague, munich, bratislavia and amsterdam) and the only traffic we got stuck in over 7 days was the M4 on the way home. every1 out there knew exactly how to use the roads and it was brilliant.

Well we went to Belgium trying to get from Antwerp to Brussels and when stuck in traffic, EVERYONE was switching lanes down the motorway, all you could see backwards and forwards was people weaving in and out - totally pointless, then when we got close to the station, it was all due to traffic stopping in a box junction so it was just gridlocked. The mentality was if they didnt drive into the junction, then people going the other way would and then they would be stuck. Totally selfish, never seen the like of it here
Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:01
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Driving in the us is great, can pass on either side on the highways! it works too.
Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:04
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
justinaccurate wrote:
when we got close to the station, it was all due to traffic stopping in a box junction so it was just gridlocked. The mentality was if they didnt drive into the junction, then people going the other way would and then they would be stuck. Totally selfish, never seen the like of it here

Feel free to follow me out of work and you'll see box junction blocking daily, oh not to mention the red light jumping. I've still got to ring the council and suggest they install cameras.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:08
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Aah I see you've met Belgian traffic LOL
(feel my pain Sad )

But I agree that most Germans are better drivers (got better roads too)

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:08
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Speaking of shit driving, I had a wee incident tonight on the way home from work.

40mph limited dual carriageway, me doing about 45mph give or take, and some wee ned in a Daewoo comes flying up the outside lane blatantly trying to overtake me just as the lanes merge round a bend. I thought "f*ck him" and kept going as i would have normally and the c*nt cuts in, narrowly missing the lane divider, and clips my front bumper!

Now normally I'd stop the car, have a look at the damage and see what's what. But when I look ahead his missus is hanging out the window giving it all kinds of fancy talk, it became apparent they weren't ones to discuss the matter in a civil manner.

So i winked and gave her the "fancy giving me a gobble" hand and mouth gesture with a big smile on my face and he then slams the brakes on (on a 40mph road round a blind bend) and crawls to about 5mph, i stopped in plenty of time but the car behind got a bit close, pure brown trouser rear-ender feeling Erm?. As the lane went round the bend it merged with another lane of traffic in the same direction of travel, he sees me feigning the overtake and swerves right into the path of another 40mph car forcing him towards the barrier in an attempt to block me!

Anyway I got past and his Daewoo's top speed is about 90mph so he couldn't follow me for long on the motorway but what a wee fanny! I was right up for a rumble til i seen his kid in the back and I left him to it.

I guess his missus wasnt up for giving me a blowie either Roll eyes

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:09
anth

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
^^ Its at times like that where i wish i had that much money that i could have repeatedly rammed his car until he was in a crying mess.
Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:12
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #40
more public information films needed! anyone remember "look Petunia there's a man with a red face over there waving at us". or "Look Petunia; that man swimming down there is waving at us"
what ever happened to public information films! don't hog the middle lane! (9 times out of 10 it's a woman in a 4x4
keep left and keep a constant speed
basic motorway driving information and advice!
??

Formally team BLAZE now Team bianca recuperating from multiple organ failure nicely!
items replaced so far, clutch, cambelt etc, radiator, exhaust, most of front running gear, wish bones, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, calipers, discs, and pads, brake lines, front springs, brake balance compensator thingy, hand brake cable, throttle cable (twice), coil pack, door handle, windscreen, wipers, head lamps several sensors and bulbs Dry .rear beam new throttle cable, new battery. .......... yeah man, team money pit! but shes still rollin!

Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:14
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
grumpychef wrote:
more public information films needed! anyone remember "look Petunia there's a man with a red face over there waving at us". or "Look Petunia; that man swimming down there is waving at us"
what ever happened to public information films! don't hog the middle lane! (9 times out of 10 it's a woman in a 4x4
??

Joe and Petunia Lolz

Country code

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:20
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #42
grumpychef wrote:
??

About a year or two ago, on the M27, they used to put messages on the overhead signs giving traffic advice. Things like 'Keep left unless overtaking' and the classic 'Don't hog the middle lane'. I thought this was a brilliant idea and it actually worked: people would pull in just after these signs as they realised what they were doing.

There are so many of those overhead signs on the motorways that are domant 90% of the time, they should all default to these messages 24/7 unless there's more pressing matters at hand.
Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:22
CUJ

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
SteviePut wrote:
Seriously tho, if there was no speed limit how fast would you really go if you were on a long journey? I for one on a long haul wouldn't be doing much more than 80 anyway regardless of what the speed limit wasSmile

Faggot.

340 horses
Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:19
grumpychef

The Rib Man

Post #44
thug always maintained that you didn't really get there any faster or gain that much of an advantage when on a long run and is happy to sit at 70 all day long! i proved him wrong on last years pug run when i set off late and caught him up at reading after looking out for him all the way down the M4 from Bristol! he was quite surprised if I remember correctly just how quick i caught up with them! LOL
I find sitting at 70 consatntly, is boring as hell and quite dangerous as i start to nod off and zone out so i tend to mix it up a little Wink keeps me keen and alert! Wink

Formally team BLAZE now Team bianca recuperating from multiple organ failure nicely!
items replaced so far, clutch, cambelt etc, radiator, exhaust, most of front running gear, wish bones, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, bearings, brakes, calipers, discs, and pads, brake lines, front springs, brake balance compensator thingy, hand brake cable, throttle cable (twice), coil pack, door handle, windscreen, wipers, head lamps several sensors and bulbs Dry .rear beam new throttle cable, new battery. .......... yeah man, team money pit! but shes still rollin!

Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:28
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
CUJ wrote:
SteviePut wrote:

Faggot.

Nice Thumbs up

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:32
jim01uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
LOL
Posted 12th May 2011 at 02:00
redrallye

rimjaw

Post #47
SteviePut wrote:
CUJ wrote:
SteviePut wrote:

Faggot.

Nice Thumbs up

Laugh my ass off

Team "310bhp/tonne" Devil Devil

Team "Old Skool Kool" Happy

Team "Faster than a standard 6. No really, both of them are"
Posted 12th May 2011 at 02:10
musclebeach

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Well i was listening to the radio........DON'T VOTE IN THE GREEN PARTY! They want speed limits for all roads set to 55mph for fuel saving and saving the planet.

w*nkers, business and commerce would come to a halt!

Total idiots, i wanted to ring up i was that p*ssed off, he's the w*nker that does 60mph on a dual carriageway......i would punch him!

VW Golf GT TDI 115, 100k nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted 12th May 2011 at 02:20
CUJ

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
SteviePut wrote:
CUJ wrote:
SteviePut wrote:

Faggot.

Nice Thumbs up

No offence intended LOL

340 horses
Posted 12th May 2011 at 02:25
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
musclebeach wrote:
Well i was listening to the radio........DON'T VOTE IN THE GREEN PARTY! They want speed limits for all roads set to 55mph for fuel saving and saving the planet.

w*nkers, business and commerce would come to a halt!

Total idiots, i wanted to ring up i was that p*ssed off, he's the w*nker that does 60mph on a dual carriageway......i would punch him!

+1

The M8 between Edinburgh and Glasgow is a total nightmare, most of it is only two lanes wide, usually with a lorry at 50mph being overtaken by a car at 60mph.

It annoys the crap out of me when people don't know their speed limits, a lot of people seem to think it's a 60mph limit all the way along and when there's only two lanes you can't get past them.

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 12th May 2011 at 02:28

Pages (4): 1 [2] 3 .. last