displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: Another cooling issue
colm_gti

Post #1
Shortly after I bought my 6, the rad popped and dumped coolant everywhere. It didn't overheat luckily, I caught it just in time to prevent any damage.

I dropped it to a mechanic I trust who knows peugeots quite well, and he discovered the fans weren't kicking in, and ended up replacing my radiator, one of the fans and a relay, but did mention that the fans were still intermittent for some reason, but they were kicking in at high speed. I needed the car urgently so took it off him as it was.

Now the car still doesn't overheat, it sits at about 80 degrees on motorways and open roads, but once in traffic it will climb to just under 110 degrees before dropping back to 90 again, and sometimes it won't go much above 100 degrees.

Pulling the brown sensor on the thermostat housing makes the fans come on, but pressing the A/C button doesn't.

Where do I go from here?

Colm
Posted 10th May 2011 at 23:22
colm_gti

Post #2
On closer inspection...pulling the brown sensor on the thermostat housing DOES make the fans come on at high speed, but pressing the A/C button doesn't.

Suggestions? Fan switch fubbared?
Posted 11th May 2011 at 01:32
davedgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Does your air conditioning work? because if it doesn't then pressing the ac button wont do anything unless you have bodged the wiring to the pressure switch like some of us have due to the ac system having no gas in it

Team Supercharged Gti-6 Ninja
Posted 11th May 2011 at 02:46
colm_gti

Post #4
davedgti6 wrote:
Does your air conditioning work? because if it doesn't then pressing the ac button wont do anything unless you have bodged the wiring to the pressure switch like some of us have due to the ac system having no gas in it

I don't think it does work, it doesn't get very cold when I press the button
Posted 11th May 2011 at 03:02
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #5
Next step to look at would be replacing the Bitron unit which controls the fans.....this is situated under the nearside front wing.

It isn't overly expensive, but if you can swap a known good one from another forum member it may save you money in the long run if you discover the problem is not this.

Stan.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 11th May 2011 at 03:30
colm_gti

Post #6
Had a chance to take a closer look at this just now, while replacing the brown CTS...

Let the car run up to 100 degrees on the water temp gauge and the fans still hadn't kicked in, so I pulled the block connector off the brown sensor again and it turns out only one fan is kicking in, the passenger side fan to be exact.

I've bridged connections 1 and 3 on the brown A/C sensor behind the headlight to keep me safer in traffic, and when I press that only the passenger side fan kicks in then too.

Would like to get this fixed over the weekend, so where do I start.

Thanks
Colm
Posted 12th May 2011 at 00:26
davedgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
There is a faq in the faq section regarding the fan set up which might help, also if you have bridged the connectors in the plug to turn your fans on with the ac button make sure you disconnect the plug going into the compressor or you will damage it,

Posted 12th May 2011 at 00:39
colm_gti

Post #8
davedgti6 wrote:
There is a faq in the faq section regarding the fan set up which might help, also if you have bridged the connectors in the plug to turn your fans on with the ac button make sure you disconnect the plug going into the compressor or you will damage it,

Where is the plug going into the compressor? Can it be gotten at through the engine bay or is it a matter of going from underneath?

Posted 12th May 2011 at 00:40
davedgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
faq
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=48070&page=1

Its just a short wiring loom coming off the compressor and I think its a white connector, should be pretty easy to find and disconnect

Posted 12th May 2011 at 00:45
davedgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
The fan system on these cars do appear to fail a bit, suppose its the age of the cars now and being french LOL , mine are not coming on at all at the moment except for pressing the ac button although I am running aftermarket spal fans, think I'm going to fook the system off and run a adjustable fan controller like the Revotec one, downside would be that my fans would jump straight to high speed and have no low speed at all although think that would be better for mine being supercharged, the stock system is good though (when it works)

Posted 12th May 2011 at 00:54
colm_gti

Post #11
davedgti6 wrote:
faq
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=48070&page=1

Its just a short wiring loom coming off the compressor and I think its a white connector, should be pretty easy to find and disconnect

Tried getting at it there, it's stuck to the front of the engine block under the intake manifold, not a chance will my arms fit in there unless I go from underneath, and I'm not able to do that right now...ah well, if the condenser goes bang I won't be too upset, it's coming out as soon as I get the chance to fit the rallye aux setup anyway...just as long as it doesn't take the aux belt out with it when it does go bang? I won't be using it often anyway, maybe 15 minutes a day max while I'm sitting in traffic, until I get the fans sorted.
Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:07
colm_gti

Post #12
davedgti6 wrote:
The fan system on these cars do appear to fail a bit, suppose its the age of the cars now and being french LOL , mine are not coming on at all at the moment except for pressing the ac button although I am running aftermarket spal fans, think I'm going to fook the system off and run a adjustable fan controller like the Revotec one, downside would be that my fans would jump straight to high speed and have no low speed at all although think that would be better for mine being supercharged, the stock system is good though (when it works)

With that revotec fan controller, is it as simple as plumbing it in to the upper coolant hose (presumably?), wiring it up to a constant live and then connecting it to the fans?

And is there much need for 2 aftermarket fans on a n/a engine? Or even a charged engine for that matter?
Posted 12th May 2011 at 01:29
colm_gti

Post #13
Minor update on this...I fitted a bitron fan speed controller box from a gti6 a mate was breaking this evening.

With the car turned on, pulling the block connector off the fan switch caused only the passenger side fan to come on at high speed as before, but a gentle prod of the drivers side fan caused that to spin at high speed too. I reconnected the fan switch connector and they stopped, and on disconnecting it again both spun at low speed, followed shortly by spinning at high speed.

Is it safe to say the drivers side fan motor is en route to being banjaxed?
Posted 18th May 2011 at 03:55