displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Removing Slam Panel
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Afternoon all,

I need to swap my slam panel over, as the headlight fixings on the one currently fitted are damaged. I thought it would be easier to swap the slam panel, rather than repair the threads on the existing one.

Now, I've read on here that the slam panel can be removed with the bumper, lights etc all still attached, just by undoing the slam panel bolts (2 by the wings, 2 by the bumper fixing points, is that all of them?).

Doing it this way would allow me to get better access to the headlight fixings so that I can remove them, some have rounded and others have snapped.

Is it as simple as that though? Or is there more to it? Unsure

I realise I'd need to unplug the lights, but is there anything I'm missing?

Having never removed the slam panel before I thought it would be best to check before I start.

If someone could talk me through the various steps then that would be appreciated. Thumbs up

I have searched on here but I couldn't find a comprehensive guide as to what's involved, people just talk about it being simple and straightforward, but I've attempted so called straightforward jobs in the past and they were anything but.
Posted 7th May 2011 at 20:31
greenbelt

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Disconnect the bonnet release cable and bonnet alarm sensor behind the drivers side headlight as well Wink

Standard Black 6
Black HBSC6 Smoke
Posted 7th May 2011 at 20:36
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #3
There are the 2 fixings at the top by the wings (13mm), and 2 on each end of the slam panel which the bumper inner support joins to. They are at 3 and 9 o clock.

There is an attachment at the sides (10mm) which needs to be loosened in order for the bumper to slide forwards. You only need to loosen enough to slide the bumper from the bracket, not undo. You need to remove the arch liners to do this. The foglights attach to the front part of the arch liner at the bottom.

Don't forget there are 3 fixing tabs that join to the lower cross member where the power steering steering cooler and wiring loom passes. These need to be undone from under the car and then something like a large screwdriver, or pliers to hold the clip on the top to stop it spinning. You may not have all of these in tact anyway, as they are brittle plus any light knock to the front would snap them.

I wish you the best of luck!

You need either 3 arms, or child like hands to do it without swearing.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 7th May 2011 at 20:43
    Rich E Forum Admin

Post #4
    Yeah, to remove completely you'll need to remove the upper grille and disconnect the bonnet release cable as said. Assuming it's the Rallye you're working on then the alarm switch won't be there of course.

The only other thing you need to do besides disconnecting all the wiring is to remove the bolts that hold the bumper to the lower cross member, assuming the straps haven't snapped of course!

edit: Dan beat me to it, but the bumper will come off the adjusters on the wing without loosening them. Oh, and the fog lights / blanks do not attach to the arch liner floor either, but the lip of the bumper does so it will need to be detached but I suspect you will have this off already.

Rich
    Posted 7th May 2011 at 20:57
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #5
    Rich E wrote:

edit: Dan beat me to it, but the bumper will come off the adjusters on the wing without loosening them. Oh, and the fog lights / blanks do not attach to the arch liner either.

So I sat there with a 10mm trying to get my shovel hands in for nothing LOL

On the 6 I broke, the front lower section of arch liner/bumper liner (often missing) was attached to the bottom of the fog light.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 7th May 2011 at 20:57
    Rich E Forum Admin

Post #6
    dangti6 wrote:
    On the 6 I broke, the front lower section of arch liner/bumper liner (often missing) was attached to the bottom of the fog light.

No, there's only one screw hole in the front part of them which goes on top of the bumper lip and screws directly to the bumper. They have a cut-out in their shape that goes around the fog light leg.

Rich
    Posted 7th May 2011 at 21:18
    tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
    I can't see it speeding the job up much doing it this way Stu. follow the conventional imo.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
    Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
    Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
    Posted 7th May 2011 at 21:43
    stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
    Cheers for the info. Thumbs up

Think I may remove the bumper first, so that I can get a better feel for how the slam panel comes off.

Seems as though it will be fairly straightforward, just wanted to make sure of a few things before I started.

Will take it steady and see how it goes.
    Posted 7th May 2011 at 21:58
    thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
    If you do it the convential way make sure you avoid whale face when refitting the bumper.

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 8th May 2011 at 04:22
    stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
    Whale Face? WTF is that? Laugh
    Posted 8th May 2011 at 16:36