displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Intermittant Speedo
dasarich

Post #1
Hi lads been through the faqs but couldn't find anything.My speedo cuts out intermittantly sometimes for a few secs sometimes for a minute or two and then jumps back to the correct speed.Thinking that just a blow , clean of the contacts will suffice ( hopefully ! ) but can anyone advise where the connectors on the engine are located please, many thanks
Posted 3rd May 2011 at 01:32
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #2
This does sound like the speed sensor. It's mounted on the upward facing side of the diff housing (not sure of exact name of part it's bolted into) where the O/S drive shaft enters. There's just one wiring connector to remove, then a single bolt IIRC. Easiest to access from right under the car, you'll need to go by touch more than sight as it's facing up.

The peugeot part number was 6160 70 when I changed mine a couple of years ago. It completely cured the problem and it's been perfect since.

Hope that helps Smile
Posted 5th May 2011 at 02:01
dasarich

Post #3
Superb thanks very much. I'll take a look next time its over the pit !
Posted 6th May 2011 at 04:12
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I have a new one that I Could sell You. Wink

My Rallye was built on thursday 7th January 1999 according to the cosmic code generator.
My Cyclone refurb
Posted 6th May 2011 at 12:09
rikky 🦔

Post #5
bump..

can anyone confirm the part number? from an older thread somewhere, i found this info

"Housing - 222816
Seal - 221223"

but above it states "6160 70". also, is it a 3-pin one? (Andrew Page said they can get them for £11.40+ vat and it's a 3-pin connector) might just buy original though if there's not much price difference

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 3rd Apr 2012 at 19:11
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
pug want near £60 for them, Neat Autos have valeo or sagem o.e parts at about £25.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Apr 2012 at 19:21
rikky 🦔

Post #7
nice one

is a new seal important? also, is that gear just the drive which isn't part of the new item? (not sure what breaks exactly on the sensor, never dismantled one..)

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 3rd Apr 2012 at 19:24
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
they come with an o-ring already fitted Smile

the seal part number above is for the speedo housing itself, the alloy bit.

typically with the electric ones they just wear out and give an intermittent signal, also the cogs can wear if the diff bearings have play in them, though not that common in the BE box, more so the MA.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Apr 2012 at 19:28