displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Demister Switch?
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi,

I'm new to the GTI-6/Rallye, so this question might seem a bit bone. When I push in my de-mister switch, it lights up, but when I release it, it comes back out again and the light goes out. It is not like the hazard switch that pushes in and stays on, then push it again to turn off. I've removed it from the housing as I am re-painting my fascia, and it definitely operates differently from the hazard switch.

Is the switch defective, or is there something I'm not doing right?

Thanks.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 1st May 2011 at 01:08
c_j_m

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Nope, as it should be.
Push it to turn it on, then it turns itself off after about 10 mins.
Posted 1st May 2011 at 01:19
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Something I don't have to fix then! Thanks.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 1st May 2011 at 04:08
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
The light should stay on after you release the switch, this shows that the demisting function is working.

If it's going out immediately after you release the switch, then it is not functioning correctly.
Posted 1st May 2011 at 06:06
misschief

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
mine does this. you press the button and do you hear a 'click' from the fusebox area? I've been told it's the large orange relay on the fusebox which is likely knackered.
Posted 1st May 2011 at 08:25
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
stu wrote:
The light should stay on after you release the switch, this shows that the demisting function is working.

If it's going out immediately after you release the switch, then it is not functioning correctly.

misschief wrote:
you press the button and do you hear a 'click' from the fusebox area? I've been told it's the large orange relay on the fusebox which is likely knackered.

That is exactly what it is doing. Seems like it is something to fix after all. SBF.

EDIT: Found this just now - same issue as mine.

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=133067&page=1

I know, I know, use the search button!

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd May 2011 at 21:30
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
As well as the relay also check the connections on the rear window its self, they like to break off.

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 2nd May 2011 at 04:03
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
misschief wrote:
mine does this. you press the button and do you hear a 'click' from the fusebox area? I've been told it's the large orange relay on the fusebox which is likely knackered.

I've looked at the FAQ on here and seen the big orange relay etc - but the pic here http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=67123&page=1 is of a Ph3 fuse box which is different from my Rallye. My Rallye does not have the big orange relay and there are fewer relays around the outside of the fuse box under the dash than on a Ph3.

I've done a search but have still not yet found which is the demister relay on a Rallye which I think is Ph2/2.5. I've found the Peugoetlogic site - will look on there.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd May 2011 at 17:06
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Can anyone tell me what are the functions of the relays in the pic? I've done a search and found the Phase 3 one (see above) but as you can see there is no 'big orange relay' for the rear demister on my car, and there are fewer relays than on a Phase 3.

In a general sense it might be handy to know what the relays do on a Phase 2.5 6/Rallye (can find FAQs and internet stuff on which fuses are which, but not relays).

EDIT: had a quick poke around and found the functions of 2 of the relays - the left one operates the ventilation fan, and the third one from the left is the rear window de-mister switch. Oddly though, the left 3 relays (notwithstanding the slightly different colour of the second one and slightly different labelling) are the same - "Cartier 12v-25A-0601". I would have thought the rear window one with the time delay should be a different type - and maybe a different colour such as orange??

mik has attached the following image:

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd May 2011 at 21:30
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Fixed this problem - got an orange relay from a fellow forum member and replaced the green one third from left in the pic above with the orange one. All fixed, it had the wrong type of relay.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 18th May 2011 at 02:34
thugpuggin

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Looking at the location you can see the relay housing socket is Orange...

Black X Reg PIII.VGTi 6 A4212 pt 1 A4212 pt 2 Searching the streets of Bristol for 1.36p/day.

Joint Kent Leader

Posted 18th May 2011 at 04:13