displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Engine Bay to Dash Loom Connector
chiefy

Regular

Post #1
I'm in the middle of getting my dash off to replace my heater matrix, and it's all free apart from the main loom coming in from the engine bay.

Now the reason I haven't yet removed this is that for the life of me I cannot get it the connector to "split" as it supposedly should.

I've removed the bolt from the middle of it, but it's not coming apart at all. How exactly are you meant to split this? And how/where does it actually split?

Any help is much appreciated!
Posted 22nd Apr 2011 at 21:11
carlosw828

Regular

Post #2
Have you definately removed the plastic cover bolt and the actual bolt from underneath the plastic 1? They normally just wiggle off.....
Posted 22nd Apr 2011 at 21:23
chiefy

Regular

Post #3
Yeah I've got both the hex plastic cap and the torx metal bolt out of the middle of it.

From the engine bay am I expecting it to come off as one whole piece, or should it split into 2 pieces on this side of the bulkhead?
Posted 22nd Apr 2011 at 21:35
chiefy

Regular

Post #4
Sorry to bump this again but I could really do with an answer fairly soon as I'm very quickly running out of patience with this silly thing!
Posted 23rd Apr 2011 at 17:30
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
From memory the engine bay connector stays in one big piece, i know mine have been seized on both cars that i've tried splitting it on. I cant remember if theres a knack to getting them apart or if its just a bit of forceful wiggling until they seperate, being careful not to strain the wires.

Good luck Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 23rd Apr 2011 at 21:34
chiefy

Regular

Post #6
Thanks a lot, I gave it another go trying to get it off in one piece and it finally came, after a fair bit of force mind.

The reason why I wasn't sure is that there seems to be a little bit of play down the middle of it, so I wasn't sure if I was meant to split it there or take the whole thing off.

But anyway that's sorted now, thanks a lot for your help. Now to get back to trying to get the matrix outlet pipes off, which so far have given me no end of grief over the last day or so No
Posted 23rd Apr 2011 at 23:59
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
chiefy wrote:
Thanks a lot, I gave it another go trying to get it off in one piece and it finally came, after a fair bit of force mind.

The reason why I wasn't sure is that there seems to be a little bit of play down the middle of it, so I wasn't sure if I was meant to split it there or take the whole thing off.

But anyway that's sorted now, thanks a lot for your help. Now to get back to trying to get the matrix outlet pipes off, which so far have given me no end of grief over the last day or so No

You can leave the matrix pipes outlet pipes alone. Just remove the matrix box - I think just 2 bolts that secure it. Just replace the 2 internal seals with the new matrix.
Posted 24th Apr 2011 at 00:44
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Jesus Christ matrix and HG. I bet you're having fun!

It'll be worth it in the end.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 24th Apr 2011 at 04:24
chiefy

Regular

Post #9
smegal wrote:
Jesus Christ matrix and HG. I bet you're having fun!

It'll be worth it in the end.

Haha don't even get me started, been on it since Monday (albeit a bit on and off, including a whole day off following a football injury LOL), so far problems have included:

- Found out bottom pulley has slipped and there's rubber pieces sticking out of it so pretty sure it's knackered (Alloy pulley on it's way from Rich W after you're recommendation)
- Clamp between cat and scorpion centre section has bent and thread has been stripped
- Manifold to cat clamp is also bent and very corroded
- Top rad hose found to have a split in it, yet another accident waiting to happen..
- Loom connector wouldn't split and matrix hoses wouldn't come off
- Matrix has leaked loads of coolant and gunk inside the blower and vent systems
- Cambelt looked incorrectly fitted as there were areas of tension and slack along it, I believe caused by allowing slight rotation of the cam pulleys as they are tightened up.

I'm sure there's more, and the head hasn't even come off yet. In fact I'd be better of with a progress thread which I was waiting for the new site to do, but I may finally get round to it tonight!

iplay wrote:

You can leave the matrix pipes outlet pipes alone. Just remove the matrix box - I think just 2 bolts that secure it. Just replace the 2 internal seals with the new matrix.

Oh right, I was considering giving it a try without removing the pipes but finally I managed to get them off late last night before I had a chance to see this. Thanks anyway.
Posted 24th Apr 2011 at 23:57
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Sounds like my track car that i'm doing up, literally anything that someone could have done wrong on it has been done wrong :dry

Expensive but rewarding to fix knowing its all been done right and should last a while longer Smile (Thats my justification for throwing stupid amounts of money at a car that cost me peanuts LOL)

Goldie the track car.
Posted 25th Apr 2011 at 13:43