displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Bergers Cherry Red Rallye
berger

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Thought I would post how this is going as I know it got a good reception at the time!

Bought back in October last year, for not much over 4 figures! Travelled up to the NE with a friend, bought it and brought back to the NW.

Needed an MOT, a cambelt change, and the previous owner was worried about some gearbox noise and that it was decatted. Seemed fine on the test drive so just went with my gut, and ignored the potential problems! He had a massive file of reciepts for work done, he had obviously cherished the car since he bought it, spent nearly 5k on it in 18 months!

I got the cambelt etc changed in early December at Carls, set me back £230 as a complete cambelt kit and the other parts were included, so just cost me labour and some antifreeze! The car turned out to have a working CAT fitted which after lots of revving to warm it up, as it was about -10C! It passed MOT just fine. These need doing every 36k or 3 years, mine was almost spot on this milage, so wanted changing. Peugeot I believe say its every 60k, but the belts will snap and land you with an expensive head rebuild!

I was lucky enough to get tickets to watch the recording of Top Gear before Xmas so had to travel all the way down to London and back in one day. Took my car instead of my girlfriends as its a bit better on the motorway. Cruises along in 6th OK but gets a bit revvy beyond 75mph, keep the speed down and the MPG up! Will achieve ~35mpg on the motorway keeping to the limit. It was probably the only real drivers car in the car park out of all the viewers when I was there. The rest were just a sea of bland and cack! Sad

I went a bit silly over Christmas after the car had been well behaved and hadn't cost me anything. I bought some expensive Chelsea boots from Selfridges and a set of spare wheels and R888s in the same day Shock Then booked a trackday at Oulton Park for the end of Jan.

Knowing that as standard the car doesn't stand up to track work, I then fitted a 16 row Setrab oil cooler, Mocal braided lines and Mocal thermostatically controlled spacer plate. I also changed the oil for Millers CFS 10/50 ready for Oulton. It already had DS2500 front pads which are more than sufficient.

Tracked the cack out of it at Oulton Park all day long at the end of the month, the standard rear pads fell to bits by lunch, but it was all good!

Big grin

Times were good!

Then I went on a long trip to Peterborough one weekend when the weather was torrential with rain and spray. The car went all French on me and cut out on the motorway, just lost all throttle response and I had to coast down the hard shoulder. Fortunately it was 7am and this was right by Knutsford services so I pulled in cursing the car! Had a quick wee, came back out, blew all the connectors off in the engine bay and it was fine, started and has been fine ever since Roll eyes

Had a boring February apart from that. Replaced the rear pads that were cacked from Oulton Park.

Cheap day popped up at the start of March at Cadwell Park, so booked that!

Had an amazing day, apart from slower traffic, and someone nearly crashing into me when they lost control it was great! I did as many laps as I wanted, spending £170 on petrol! Again, melted the rear brake pads (I had these spare so didn't mind).

Uprated ones are on the to do list, but aint cheap compared to OE!

I noticed an exhaust blow after the trackday which got worse quite quick, I was fearing the worst, a cracked manifold or the gasket from the manifold to downpipe had failed (ballache of a job to change). Turned out the CAT to centre section had just come loose, the centre section was new so mustn't have been done up. Just tightened up the exhaust clamps and problem solved!

GO BABY GO!

It was then insurance and tax month come the middle of March. Generally known as bend over and take it month!

This year I was in for a suprise. Tax was the usual ~£100 for 6 months or £200 for 12 months.

Insurance, normal policys were quoting silly prices considering my age/experience, but on a recommendation from -Ad- I got a "classic" policy, which came back at £289 FC. So my face was like this for the rest of the week Big grin

Later in the month the boot button stuck in requiring removal of the trim to release the boot, then using some 3 in 1 to lube it (ooho).

I also managed to fit a 2m long desk from Ikea in the car without leaving any seats or the girlfriend at home! Practical too!

Brings me to the present, parked up ready for use at the weekends!

Bang'in 7 gram rocks!
I have one gear, GO!
Posted 18th Apr 2011 at 03:54
velar

Regular

Post #2
Nice one, good to see a near standard rallye on the track.

Last group of photos are ace ( loving the front end off the deck)

L reg "black and blue" phase 1 track 6
Posted 18th Apr 2011 at 13:15
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I have seen that somewhere I think. Have to get mine up and do an NW mini meet... needs to run first tho.. Doh

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 19th Apr 2011 at 00:35
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Good project Karl, looking forward to doing some trackdays together in the future once i have mine up and running. Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 19th Apr 2011 at 01:50
berger

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I am tempted to buy a bucket for trackdays as I end up smashing my knee off the door card all day and bruising it to buggery, plus would hold me in better, harnesses to the rear belt anchor points.

Swap back to the OE seat for daily driving afterwards then too.

Not sure what else really.

Some DS2500 rear pads, then everything else is expensive!

Bang'in 7 gram rocks!
I have one gear, GO!
Posted 19th Apr 2011 at 03:28
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Might be worth searching for a more common car with that rear pad - those calipers are on loads....

Nothing to see here
Posted 19th Apr 2011 at 03:43
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Cry If only i had known, i just settled for yellow stuff rears Sad

Goldie the track car.
Posted 19th Apr 2011 at 03:48
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Buy a kneepad, it's cheaper than a bucket. Wink

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 21st Apr 2011 at 00:11