displaying posts 326 to 350 of 408

Pages (17): first .. 13 [14] 15 .. last

Author Subject: Mik's Rallye
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #326
Temporary fix?

Could you not cable tie it? Or maybe just pad it with something to stop the noise until it can be fixed properly.

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Apr 2015 at 20:27
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #327
A quick dab of 2 part epoxy resin should keep it secure Mik

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 15th Apr 2015 at 20:33
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #328
bin them, they'll only rot and rattle off in a few years.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th Apr 2015 at 20:38
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #329
welshpug! wrote:
bin them, they'll only rot and rattle off in a few years.

Not these ones (hopefully) - In my OCD way I bought new and they were Electrox zinc primed and silver painted before fitting with new calipers and discs in 2012. Still look great apart from being a bit grubby. The old stuff looked as though it had been retrieved from the Titanic.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll try some epoxy or similar in the interim - the £100 for drilling out the corroded screw would be better spent going towards a new rear beam!

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 16th Apr 2015 at 12:18
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #330
Just got back from 4 days in Normandy and Brittany, and did 600 miles in the Rallye. I'll put up some photos soon. The car went really well and it was great to drive some nice uncrowded roads in it.

Had a couple of French white van men who seemingly woke up after being overtaken by a 306 on the autoroute and felt they had to speed up and tailgate me for a couple of miles to preserve their manliness, and a couple of blokes in a car park who said "nice car" in English. Smooth roads though and not a pothole to be seen!

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 4th May 2015 at 21:16
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #331
Update - got new OE cam belt kit off ebay from a Pug dealer for £80 and got some random ebay £10 voucher so got it for £70. Doing cam belt as it is now 4 years since I did it, and will also do spark plugs etc.

Will get some oil from Opie oils and do an oil/filter change as it is now due.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 15th Aug 2015 at 10:12
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #332
Got the cam belt, water pump, spark plugs and fuel filter done yesterday. A few days before I changed the oil for Gulf 10W40 synthetic + OE oil filter using the new plastic low-rise ramps I got off Amazon. Way quicker to get the car up than axle stands.

The car went really well on the 140-mile journey home last night.

The only downer was that the garage who did the cam belt jacked the car on the box sections behind the front wheels that I had fixed to a high standard (by the same garage) 2 years ago. Of course the box sections caved in and the paint and sealant cracked off exposing bare metal. Gutted. I couldn't get through to them this morning on the phone, so sent an e-mail and just had a call back. To their credit they said they'll fix it all up for me and apologised profusely. Looks as though I'm using the right garage. They have been really good with the car over the last 3 years.

When I took the car for an MOT at another garage (as I was away at the time) I even stuck a post-it note to the steering wheel saying don't jack it on the floor/box sections. I felt like an OCD knob doing that, but no longer. I'll be briefing anyone who touches it from now on exactly where to jack it.

I also got them to remove the noisy disc backing plate as the noise over bumps was setting my teeth on edge. It is cracked so I'll need another one when I can get the bolt holes in the axle drilled out and retapped. It was a good test of the Electrox zinc primer I painted it with 3 1/2 years ago - the backing plate had no rust on it at all, not even a speck so that Electrox stuff really works.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 12th Sep 2015 at 09:07
orta

Senior User

Post #333
Mate I'm mega fussy when anyone else is handling my car as well and as yours is a lot tidier than mine I'd be doubly paranoid!

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 11th Sep 2015 at 21:51
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #334
Will finally be sorting the tailgate when I get home in Apr - here is the thread with the part no so I can remind myself:

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=162940

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 15th Jan 2016 at 11:51
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #335
Why do you need to drill out the bolt holes Mik? Assume the bolts holding the disc back plates sheared?

If not, I've always been able to get them out just using a pair of mole grips...

Posted 17th Jan 2016 at 12:26
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #336
Ben, one of the bolts sheared and the garage (in 2012) didn't say anything but put on the brand new disc shield with only one of the two (or is it 2 of 3) bolts. It was fine for almost 3 years but eventually the missing bolt caused the new disc shield to crack and it started making a godawful clanging noise over bumps especially around town which got louder over time as the crack propagated.

I've had it removed last time I got work done while I work out what to do. The car feels much nicer to drive without the noise. It will cost about half as much as a Polish rebuilt axle to drill it out due to the amount of dismantling required, and the axle is fine for now but is not in the first flush of youth and will need doing eventually.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 17th Jan 2016 at 20:41
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #337
Home from 6 months overseas. Got the Rallye out of storage, MOT'd, taxed and insured and back on the road. I'm pleased to say she is as epic as ever.

Got a few jobs to look at:

I need to sort the tailgate as the bubble that has been there for 5 years is getting bigger, and I need to get replacement glass and seal while still available, and get the tailgate and bonnet repainted to a high standard. I know I've been saying I'll sort the paint for 5 years now, but stuff like house purchases and redecorating, birth of kids etc have kept getting in the way.

The bloke looking after it for me damaged the battery box (and it wasn't that great anyway), so I've got a replacement from superchargedblack1997gti6 on here which I will install when it arrives.

Got a couple new rear disc protectors which will get put on when I do something about the axle.

Rotate the wheels/tyres front to rear when I get a moment. The LR brake binds slightly (and was mentioned as advisory in MOT) even though I've replaced all 4 calipers since buying the car. Probably due to inactivity each winter - I need to free them off and grease them up.

Another advisory was the CV boots not fitting well. I've replaced at least 2 on each side since getting the car, and had them resecured a couple of times on top of that, and I've got no idea why it keeps happening. Will resecure/replace these as required. Again I need a moment to get under there and have a look in between sorting the pantry and my new workshop.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 29th May 2016 at 16:01
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #338
tailgate glass hasn't got a seal, its just a trim piece on a bonded glass

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 29th May 2016 at 16:02
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #339
Indeed - I should have said the 'tailgate glass moulding' that is part no 8745 48, which apparently I need as well as the glass 8744 L9.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 29th May 2016 at 16:24
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #340
Unfortunately I've waited too long and the tailgate glass 8744 L9 is NFP.

There are some in mainland Europe and I'll e-mail them, but as I say at the link below (I've forgotten how to do a linky), I'd be keen for any thoughts or ideas for a solution if the overseas dealers will not agree to send me one.

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=162940&page=last

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 12th Jul 2016 at 17:38
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #341
I've found one of the last correct rear windows in captivity in Belgium, and I'm also getting a second hand Cherry tailgate from pug_306 on here, to give me some options. My one has the rust bubbles and filler, so using a clean one with no rust will produce a better result. I'll get the new tailgate painted and put the new window in it.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th Jul 2016 at 16:11
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #342
Cool. Do they still add the vin to the bottom of the screen?

Posted 25th Jul 2016 at 17:54
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #343
mik wrote:
Unfortunately I've waited too long and the tailgate glass 8744 L9 is NFP.

There are some in mainland Europe and I'll e-mail them, but as I say at the link below (I've forgotten how to do a linky), I'd be keen for any thoughts or ideas for a solution if the overseas dealers will not agree to send me one.

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=162940&page=last

As you may or may not know ...I work for a well known Car Glass company & we (can't) even get new 306 Back Windows now ...BUT I've just found a company in the UK that stock New (Copy) ones ...they are FY glass so not as good quality shape wise ....I've just bought one myself & fitted it to my new twin skin Fibreglass tailgate ...I didn't fit a glass trim either & it looks great Thumbs up ....cost wise £229 inc vat ...

PS it's having the rear trims fitted from the factory which don't allow the water to escape as well as the Windscreen trim does that's causing some of the rust spots ...they look good without the trims as more modern cars don't have trims much nowadays Thumbs up
Anybody that's interested in a rear screens but collection only give me a PM ...PS they are Green & heated LOL
Posted 25th Jul 2016 at 18:34
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #344
Ben_W wrote:
Cool. Do they still add the vin to the bottom of the screen?

I don't know and didn't ask - I'll look into that when I get it fitted.

Day666 wrote:

As you may or may not know ...I work for a well known Car Glass company & we (can't) even get new 306 Back Windows now ...BUT I've just found a company in the UK that stock New (Copy) ones ...they are FY glass so not as good quality shape wise ....I've just bought one myself & fitted it to my new twin skin Fibreglass tailgate ...I didn't fit a glass trim either & it looks great Thumbs up ....cost wise £229 inc vat ...

PS it's having the rear trims fitted from the factory which don't allow the water to escape as well as the Windscreen trim does that's causing some of the rust spots ...they look good without the trims as more modern cars don't have trims much nowadays Thumbs up
Anybody that's interested in a rear screens but collection only give me a PM ...PS they are Green & heated LOL

I think the rust in my case was started by a minor ding in the tailgate (as can be seen by the nasty blow-in on my tailgate) - sometimes there are tiny cracks in the paint caused by the metal getting stretched which only become apparent sometime afterwards, exacerbated by salt and road grime getting sucked up onto the back of the car. Mine is a P3 so no raised trim.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 26th Jul 2016 at 17:21
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #345
The new Phase 3 rear window (part no 8744L9) has arrived from Belgium, and it seems to be intact although I haven't opened the original factory packaging yet.

I just got an e-mail this morning from the other Belgian dealer who did not originally reply, who said he does have one in stock as well. So if anyone needs a Phase 3 OE rear window, now NFP, send me a PM and I'll pass on the e-mail address of the dealer.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 29th Jul 2016 at 11:14
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #346
A recent trip to France in the Rallye...

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 3rd Aug 2016 at 18:49
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #347
Awesome.

I want to do exactly the same once mine is finished.

Did it get much attention?

Posted 3rd Aug 2016 at 18:56
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #348
Me too I'd love to take mine to France and the French alps

how about a club trip

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 3rd Aug 2016 at 19:13
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #349
A few cars including a couple of small white vans (Partner etc) and some other cars liked to stop me overtaking them on the autoroute by speeding up as I came past and then tailgated me once I'd got past, but that might just have been the British number plates. We parked up in Dinard and a French bloke walking past stopped, looked at it and said in English "nice car".

Club outing - a good idea. We were on the Eurotunnel with a bunch of Lambos, Jag E-types etc clearly going across to take their cars for a sound thrashing on France's empty roads around Bologne/Calais/Montreuil (incidentally where Fleming's literary Bond used to thrash his Bentley). We stayed in a reasonably priced hotel in Montreuil (was a hospital in WW1) which hosts a British car clubs regularly - there were photos and memorabilia all over the bar.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 3rd Aug 2016 at 22:29
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #350
After doing very little but changing the oil and driving the 306 for the last 3 years, I finally got underneath it last weekend while rotating the tyres front to back. The underbody clean-up and rust removal work I did 2011-2013 is holding up extremely well with virtually no visible deterioration. I found the washers to go under the exhaust middle heat shield nuts that I'd never installed and decided to get them on there while the car was on axle stands. It was pleasing that the wax coated nuts unwound with no trouble whatsoever, and were still as new under the thin layer of wax.

Still there are a couple of things to do under there which I will get to, and there is yet another oil change (Millers CFS synthetic 10w40, filter, gearbox oil) to do next weekend.

I've also decided to reinstate the radio stalk that I removed after being unable to get the adapter to work with the new Blaupunkt head unit (it changed stations when attempting to change the volume only). I've asked a couple of questions and revived an old thread on the subject here

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th Sep 2016 at 23:05

Pages (17): first .. 13 [14] 15 .. last