displaying posts 1 to 21 of 21

Author Subject: 306 XSI Gearchange Problems
howyd

Post #1
Hey everyone, got a 306 xsi 98 plate and there is a little resistance when trying to select gears sometimes. Go to push the stick in and it just doesnt feel that smooth.

Could this be a possible clutch problem or gearbox fault?
Posted 14th Apr 2011 at 23:25
noaki

Senior User

Post #2
a word from a fellow xsi owner... "we are not welcome!" but i'll help best i can! rigth i need more info then that my thought as is: if it still works dont worry about it Thumbs up

Team ex "manstone" - "THATS TO LOW!!"..."I KNOW!" Sad

Team defeat - bring on the *06! :/
Posted 14th Apr 2011 at 23:45
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #3
Probably low on gearbox oil imho. You could pop the gear linkages off that you can get to under the bonnet and regrease them. That always improved things a little for me. Wont address the real problem though. Does it grind when you select gears? Try pulling your drivers mat out of the way of the clutch pedal, i have found this to prevent full travel of the pedal in the past. Worth a go for free. Having said all that, i still get occasional resistance and i've just changed the gearbox oil with genuine peugeot stuff. I know my clutch cable is a bit slack so maybe have a reach around in the engine bay and see if the cable is a bit slack where it attaches to the clutch fork arm thingy on top of the gearbox.

"We never have any near misses, we hit them every time!"

clicky code for my benefit

[ url= http://www.website.com]My link[/url ]
Posted 15th Apr 2011 at 00:06
howyd

Post #4
Ah good to feel welcome, is it that thing where you walk into a pub and everyone looks at you?

Thanks for your speedy replys.

Its basically when depress the clutch and go to put the gear stick into the gear there is a little resistance. It will go in but there is a bit of a shudder as it does kind of like if you were pushing something rubber down something that was metal and rippled.

In gear it drives fine, no whining noises over rev etc. I do have my doubts about the clutch tho as the bit point is quite high and the engaging is not that smooth feels very binary. Car has 65k on it any idea what the service interval is usually on a clutch?

Posted 15th Apr 2011 at 00:16
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #5
love that description, although that sounds like a slight crunch to me, thinking clutch disengaging issues. However I'm sure someone with vastly superior levels of knowledge will arrive soon with a complete solution. No shame in having an XSI, i used to own a P3 China and lay low on the forum for about 4 years for fear of ridicule. As long as you're not a complete cnut and don't uze txt spk you shouldn't have any issues here. Just a heads up though, the site is due to be upgraded over the next week or so!

Posted 15th Apr 2011 at 02:41
noaki

Senior User

Post #6
haha i hope this help you out matey best we can! but with a milage like that you bullet proof if your almost unless you drive like a *fill word here*! and jim, ph3 china are you near the Xchurch / Bournemouth way sometime times? i drive a decked ph3 "manstone" 3dr with HIDs and a black bonnet ( not staying black ) cant say ive noticed you or are you rolling in a stealth-mobile Ninja

Team ex "manstone" - "THATS TO LOW!!"..."I KNOW!" Sad

Team defeat - bring on the *06! :/
Posted 15th Apr 2011 at 05:44
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
howyd wrote:
Ah good to feel welcome, is it that thing where you walk into a pub and everyone looks at you?

Thanks for your speedy replys.

Its basically when depress the clutch and go to put the gear stick into the gear there is a little resistance. It will go in but there is a bit of a shudder as it does kind of like if you were pushing something rubber down something that was metal and rippled.

In gear it drives fine, no whining noises over rev etc. I do have my doubts about the clutch tho as the bit point is quite high and the engaging is not that smooth feels very binary. Car has 65k on it any idea what the service interval is usually on a clutch?

Does it get any better when warmed up? A lot of pugs have stiff gears beofore the oil warms up so i really wouldnt worry about it.

I'd change the gearbox oil and see if that improves it.

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 15th Apr 2011 at 14:15
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
noaki wrote:
but with a milage like that you bullet proof if your almost unless you drive like a *fill word here*!

Not quite sure what you mean here but with 65K on it and the car being 13 years old parts are going to start wearing out. It wont be "bullet proof"

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 15th Apr 2011 at 14:18
howyd

Post #9
It does get better when it warms up, but it still does it occasionally.

I got a clutch kit and cable today, a mate of a mate that is a qualified mechanic said he will do the clutch for £125 and a bottle of brandy so i reacon thats a fair deal, and change the gearbox oil at the same time.

Hopefully that should sort everything. Cars been good as gold really, just generaly maintenence that you would expect (odd bushes, bulbs etc)
Posted 15th Apr 2011 at 22:42
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #10
bennn wrote:
noaki wrote:
but with a milage like that you bullet proof if your almost unless you drive like a *fill word here*!

Not quite sure what you mean here but with 65K on it and the car being 13 years old parts are going to start wearing out. It wont be "bullet proof"

I agree, biggest load of bo***cks ever saying a 6 of any age is bullet proof imo

Posted 16th Apr 2011 at 18:41
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #11
noaki wrote:
haha i hope this help you out matey best we can! but with a milage like that you bullet proof if your almost unless you drive like a *fill word here*! and jim, ph3 china are you near the Xchurch / Bournemouth way sometime times? i drive a decked ph3 "manstone" 3dr with HIDs and a black bonnet ( not staying black ) cant say ive noticed you or are you rolling in a stealth-mobile Ninja

I drive a black 6 now and live in reading

Posted 16th Apr 2011 at 18:44
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Going to be the clutch on its way out or the release bearing. I'd check the gearbox is bolted to the engine properly before buying a new clutch as it could also cause your issue. Also check your lower engine mount for wear as that might not be helping.

Pretty simple job to change the clutch - just use proper Peugeot / Total oil in it. Tewkesbury Warners is the best place for parts around here - see Ed or Steve.

Nothing to see here
Posted 18th Apr 2011 at 03:12
howyd

Post #13
Thought i would update this thread as i know that you are all interested to find the outcome.

The clutch was worn so thats being replaced probably didnt need changing imediately but im a good believer in preventative maintenence.

Most of the problem was being caused by gearbox oil but mainly the gearbox mount being worn.
Posted 19th Apr 2011 at 22:04
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #14
Well done for actually posting up the outcome, does help when people who know how to use the search have similar issues. I think its advisable to get the clutch release fork bushes or something done at the same time as the clutch, or to at least grease them up a bit.

Posted 19th Apr 2011 at 22:34
howyd

Post #15
Its having brand new cluch kit, clutch cable, gearbox mount and oil.

So hopefully thats the tranmission all sorted.

Cars are never cheap eh.
Posted 19th Apr 2011 at 22:43
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #16
should make a hell of a difference all that

Posted 19th Apr 2011 at 23:46
howyd

Post #17
Your going to love this:

Got my car back today, clutch is ok but driveshaft seal gone thats where the oil leak was coming from.

Gearbox mount needs replacing still (got the part on order for tomorrow morning). Thats only a minor thing now tho.

Major problem i got is the as the battery has been disconnected the alarm is now armed. I only have one key and the fob doesnt work in it. Is there any way i can deactivate the alarm with just the key?
Posted 21st Apr 2011 at 01:53
ravemercer

Regular

Post #18
On a 6 alarm dead lock from drivers door turns it off
Posted 21st Apr 2011 at 02:15
howyd

Post #19
how do you mean deadlock?
Posted 21st Apr 2011 at 02:21
howyd

Post #20
That is the plipper just isnt working will deadlocking the car with the key (holding in lock for a second) and then unlocking to the right disable the alarm?
Posted 21st Apr 2011 at 02:46
howyd

Post #21
All sorted just unlock the car the alarm goes off when door is opened, within 10 seconds put the key in the ignition and turn to first click. Then press the button on the side of the stearing column.

Alarms disabled and wont re-arm while the door is locked on the key. You can then get a new fob and pair it to the alarm using the sequence.
Posted 21st Apr 2011 at 13:15