Seasoned Pro

Post #101
Panels look linked they fit very well
Posted 6th Jan 2018 at 23:13
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #102
quote:
[quote="RallyeRed"]Love the way this is coming together.
I need to do the washer mod for the same reason as you... Don't s'pose you could offer a bit more detail on what you did? I take it you've used 405 arms, but not blades? How did you actually manage the jets bit?
Cheers
Iain

On mine i just fitted the actual blades for a 405, they were ebay specials and have the jets built into the back of the blade. I just ran the washer hose up each arm and pushed them onto the connector. Quite a handy mod on mine as the old washer hose would melt when going to bonnet jets and made taking the bonnet off pretty tricky when on my own.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 6th Jan 2018 at 23:50
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #103
Thanks Steve. I take it the 405 blades are ok for length then?
Posted 7th Jan 2018 at 15:15
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #104
Yeah, I think the 405 ones are both 22" from memory, for some reason i think the 306 ones should be 22" and 20" but i put both the 22" ones on mine and haven't noticed any collisions or anything like that.
Mine were ~£15 the pair on ebay in 2016, the old seller doesn't list them anymore but i saw some similar looking ones for £22.55
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-405-QUALITY-WIPER-BLADES-with-WASH-pair-/201955257726?hash=item2f0578ad7e

Goldie the track car.
Posted 7th Jan 2018 at 15:25
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #105
Getting there Nick ...your starting to think about weight now ...free power Thumbs up

You’ve gone to the dark side as many do LOL

Keep the posts coming m8
Posted 7th Jan 2018 at 17:07
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #106
Thanks Steve. Sorry to take your thread off-piste Nick!
Posted 7th Jan 2018 at 21:50
99rallye

Regular

Post #107
quote:
[quote="RallyeRed"]Thanks Steve. Sorry to take your thread off-piste Nick!

No probs Steve! Below is the kit i bought. I didn't really know what i needed when i bought it so i probably ended up paying more than i needed too.

I just fitted the jets to my standard wipers; they were a clip on in this kit that fitted snugly around the thin part of the arm. I can take some pictures if it would help?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263037503811
Posted 8th Jan 2018 at 05:59
99rallye

Regular

Post #108
quote:
[quote="prism7guy"]
quote:
[quote="RallyeRed"]Love the way this is coming together.
I need to do the washer mod for the same reason as you... Don't s'pose you could offer a bit more detail on what you did? I take it you've used 405 arms, but not blades? How did you actually manage the jets bit?
Cheers
Iain

On mine i just fitted the actual blades for a 405, they were ebay specials and have the jets built into the back of the blade. I just ran the washer hose up each arm and pushed them onto the connector. Quite a handy mod on mine as the old washer hose would melt when going to bonnet jets and made taking the bonnet off pretty tricky when on my own.

Arrr, I didn't even think of that. It must be much more convenient with clip off bonnets. I can't remember what length mu 405 blades were but they were definitely too long to work without hitting each other
Posted 8th Jan 2018 at 06:13
99rallye

Regular

Post #109
quote:
[quote="RallyeRed"]Thanks Steve. Sorry to take your thread off-piste Nick!

This might help explain it a bit better....

20180107_161057 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152690911@N05/]

20180107_161051 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152690911@N05/]
Posted 8th Jan 2018 at 21:30
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #110
Ah gotcha! Many thanks for that, v helpful.
Cheers
Iain
Posted 8th Jan 2018 at 21:55
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #111
ah ah found you.

Good read this has been.

Wish I knew about the wipers before I drilled my bonnet Sad

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner
But now a Black caged rallye owner

Hunting for Go faster bits!

SEARCH

click here
Posted 31st Mar 2020 at 12:27
99rallye

Regular

Post #112
@hovis nice to e-meet you. Am I right in thinking you've got the carbon grille that I sold on? If it is I'm pleased it's made it's way onto a forum regulars car! I'm loving your new Turini's too, such a nice wheel
Posted 2nd Apr 2020 at 14:12
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #113
Hey Man,

NO I got my grille from Oliver unless you sold that to him?? Trying to find some more carbon bits is proving difficult hahaha. Best thing I did was purchase my Turinis

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 2nd Apr 2020 at 15:16
99rallye

Regular

Post #114
Hmmm, It might not be then I don't think it went to Oliver. Yeah, there aren't may reliable outfits that make 306 carbon bits. Where have you been looking?
Posted 4th Apr 2020 at 16:23
99rallye

Regular

Post #115
To kick off my updates on the Rallye I wanted to start with my other 4 wheeled distraction. Since I bought my M3 I’d always hated the wheels, to my eyes the straight flat design never suited the car. The Style 220 wheels are also lacquered so they get that horrid milky, flakey effect after a few years of use, so they were destined to be changed out. I went for a set of style 359 wheels (in hyper silver) which were on the Competition Pack cars, GTS and other limited run models.

20181006_104750_HDR by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

20181006_125607 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

Which I think look so much better and make it look like a proper M car and less 3 series. After that to finish up the external tarting up, I updated the rear lights to the later “facelift” LED (LCI) rear lights which again look much fresher. I’m really happy with how it’s looking now.

20190422_172421 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

Enough of that; back to the Rallye.

I fitted the new bonnet and boot over winter so I was keen to get back out on track and my friend had just bought a 2004 EP3 Civic Type R so we excitedly booked onto a day at Bedford.

The day was cold, but dry to start with but it ended up being wonderfully sunny. The Rallye was great fun, ran faultlessly and I’m pleased to say MUCH quicker than the Civic….although being completely honest the Civic was ever so slightly quicker than the Rallye in a straight line. The K20 really is a great engine and I was impressed given the CTR was in full standard road trim how capable it was

20180505_080335_HDR by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

One of my favorite static picks of the Rallye Smile

20180505_160708_HDR by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

The two chavs together.

The combination of weather and a great track photographer also resulted in some awesome pics.

PR_180505_MSVT_BA_0345 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

PR_180505_MSVT_BA_1070 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

PR_180505_MSVT_BA_0271 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

PR_180505_MSVT_BA_1022 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

PR_180505_MSVT_BA_0562 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

And the elusive wheel cocking shot!

PR_180505_MSVT_BA_0645 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

We were the first cars onto the track and last ones off. An Asian tourist crashed his rented Maserati. And our cars were a blast. It was definitely my favourite track day so far!
Posted 5th Apr 2020 at 20:25
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #116
Looks so clean

Posted 5th Apr 2020 at 17:51
99rallye

Regular

Post #117
After our awesome day at Bedford we quickly booked onto another one at Anglesey, a track I’ve always wanted to drive having watched too many clips of Chris Harris and Jethro Bovingdon hooning around it with an incredible backdrop. We decided rather than rush it we’d make a weekend of it with our respective families and rented a massive AirBnB which ended up being a real laugh.

We drove the Rallye the full 4hrs30 each way packed for the trackday and the weekend.

20180615_130831_HDR by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

So parked at the AirBnB we had an interesting fleet...a Jaguar XK8, Caterham, a Panamera Turbo, Triumph Speed Twin and the three cars doing the track day, the Civic CTR, Lotus Exige and Rallye.

20180616_170856(1) by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

The day itself was dry, very gray and overcast but the backdrop and scenery was absolutely breathtaking. During the siting laps it felt like we were just going to drive off the edge into the sea at Peel, Seamans and Church like a line of lemmings. If you ever get the chance it’s an amazing track to visit!

CIR_5710 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

The track was run in it’s Costal setup which has a fantastically fast and then technical flow. Church and School are fast and require a fair amount of commitment and then Rocket, Peel and the Corkscrew are much slower and take a bit of learning. I paid for a few laps tuition which really helped get to know the track.

There was some other serious metal there ranging from a new 911 GT3, Mercedes GTR, V6 Lotus Exige, 500bhp Fiesta ST, the obligatory MX5s and Clios... and a TVR Chimera, which was a new sight on a track dayt! I spent the majority of the time giving the Clio’s a hard time after my tuition which was very satisfying Smile

CIR_5709 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

CIR_5064 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

CIR_5628 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

CIR_4296 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr
In a couple of these pics I noticed that the bonnet looked like it was flexing slightly so I bought some genuine AeroCatches to avoid any unwanted high speed bonnet openings.

After lunch our confidence was growing and I spent a couple of laps chasing my mate in his CTR before passing him to lead for a couple of quick ones. On the third pass around I could see in my rearview mirror that he was struggling to keep up coming out of Church onto the quickest part of the track going into School (a 100mph+ bend). I held a tight line to the inside of the corner and he followed but as I glanced in the rearview mirror he’d caught his inside wheel on the grass, sending him pirouetting in the opposite direction across the track towards the armco. To my horror I couldn’t see what happened after that until I’d got to the other side of the track, because he was out of view. Which felt like a very long time. When I could finally see back to that side of the track from the pit lane the Civic’s nose and right hand side were buried in the barrier but thankfully my friend seemed to be ok. The recovery truck picked them up and brought them back to the pitlane where my mate was checked over but the Civic was in a bad way

2020-04-15_12-16-28 by Nick Buxton, on Flickr

Thankfully the Civic did it’s job and the drivers compartment wasn’t compromised but it really shook me up watching the crash happen so quickly on the fastest part of the track. I did a couple more laps after that but couldn’t really get my head back into it.

At the end of the day I looked over the Civic in a bit more detail; it was definitely a write off but the doors still opened and the A & B pillars hadn’t moved at all which I thought was impressive. Thinking about the way the Rallye was built I really didn’t think it would have stood up so well to the impact so I vowed that I’d fit a proper cage before I’d do another track day.

Not the best way to end an otherwise great track day but we all lived to see another day.
Posted 15th Apr 2020 at 14:41
alcon

Senior User

Post #118
this might be a stupid question, but would it not be better to switch the airbags off during a track day if you've got full racing harnesses? I was just thinking that in a low speed shunt with the barrier, they're going to get set off and wreck your dashboard etc. Obviously in your mates case, he's now got bigger problems to think about. Just glad everyone's ok though.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 15th Apr 2020 at 18:39
99rallye

Regular

Post #119
Potentially, if your harnesses are fitted correctly and you won't benefit from them at all...but I'd rather ruin the dash than take a chance on your safety. You can replace a dash a bit easier Smile. Also, in my mates case it was standard car and he was running belts so wouldn't make any difference
Posted 15th Apr 2020 at 19:04
deeturbo

Regular

Post #120
Glad to see you friend was ok after that.

Out of interest could it be down to his tires the reason he couldn't keep up?
Posted 16th Apr 2020 at 17:49
hovis16

Seasoned Pro

Post #121
Car looks good. Shame bout your mates car

Ph2 Black GTI 6!

EX black 6 owner

SEARCH

click here
Posted 17th Apr 2020 at 14:34
99rallye

Regular

Post #122
deeturbo wrote:
Glad to see you friend was ok after that.

Out of interest could it be down to his tires the reason he couldn't keep up?

He was on Michelin Pilot Sports from memory, so not a bad tyre. In my opinion it's just down to the set up of the cars. The Rallye isn't highly spec'd but it's set up; seats, harnesses, suspension, transmission etc, is track orientated. Where as the Civic in full road trim isn't, which will show the biggest difference in the cornering speeds.
Posted 18th Apr 2020 at 09:16
99rallye

Regular

Post #123
For my insurance renewal I had to list all of the modifications done to the Rallye, which was quite a long and satisfying job looking back over the past 11 years worth of receipts and paperwork. For completeness I thought I'd post it up.

Sony head unit
Dash audio stalk delete
Custom size front number plate
Clear side indicators
Crystal (phase 3) headlights
Battery relocated to boot
Delocked doors
Magnex back box exhaust
Ferrodo DS2500 front brake pads
Phase 3 rub strips
Removed rear seats
Removed front & rear seatbelts
Removed sparewheel & carrier
Sparco Evo front seats
Fitting & painting new seat runners
ABS removed and Tilton bias valve fitted
OMP Corsiac 3500 steering wheel
OMP 801 Leggera 4 point harnesses
Refurbished rear beam with 21mm torsion bars (-30 ride height)
Braided rear hoses
Bilstein B6 rear dampers
Bilstein B8 front dampers with H&R springs (-40 ride height)
Black interior A, B & C pillar trim
Speedline Challenge 16" wheels (painted in Mazda 38R)
Wheel stud & nut conversion
Satchshift
Nissens radiator
Billet lightened flywheel
AO48 195/45/R16
Removed centre console
Nurspec twin skin bonnet & boot (supposedly)
Aerocatches
Peugot 405 style wipers
Pug1off Stage 2 kit (180bhp map and catcams 4903106)
K&N Airfilter
BakerBM engine & gearbox mounts
BakerBM solid bear rear mount
5mm hubcentric wheel spacers on front
Sparco rear tow strap
Posted 21st Apr 2020 at 09:56
Wilde Haren

Post #124
Impressive list of mods! Where did you get that flywheel and how light is it and do you notice the difference?
Posted 21st Apr 2020 at 22:12
Joep

Regular

Post #125
https://www.peugeot-tuning-parts.co.uk/~cn49882a/306-gti6-billet-steel-flywheel-s16-lightened-balanced-peugeot.html

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 22nd Apr 2020 at 07:18

Pages (8): first .. 4 [5] 6 .. last