displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Need help locating the speedo sensor location despite I know whe
gti-gaz

Regular

Post #1
I've jacked the car up and dispite reading this already

quote:

The speedometer drive housing is bolted onto the offside of the diff casing. The large drive log locates into the output shaft on the diff and drives the control pinion which locates into the bottom of the sensor.

The sensor and control pinion can be inspected and replaced with minimal fuss, only requiring the gearbox to be drained. There is a single bolt that holds the sensor into the housing and the control pinion should come out with it.

You need to remove the driveshaft and speedometer housing to access the drive cog though.

I can't for the life of me find it.. The speedo has stopped working similar to what this guy had:
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=132820&page=last

might have to just take it to a garage and get bent over?

Blink
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 22:43
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Erm.. How can you not see it? It lives at the gearbox end of the long driveshaft, it's bolted to the gearbox with 3 bolts, and the white speedo sensor and plug live on top of it - there'll likely be a silver foil type bag covering the plug.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 12:18
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
To be honest when I changed it (took 10 mins the morning I sold the car) I had to do it by touch...

Going in through the gap near the battery box, I used my camera to take pics of the top of the gearbox so I knew roughly where it was, then it's one clip and one bolt. Don't bother going underneath there will be a gearbox in your way!
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 13:14
noaki

Senior User

Post #4
my cars in meny bits atm i'll find it and take a photo of it and where it goes, but it might have something to do with how low you are, i am 60 at the front ( being on the hate, i dont care its going back up when i have the ££!!! ) which has caused my diff to f*ck up in turn makes my speedo not work :/

Team ex "manstone" - "THATS TO LOW!!"..."I KNOW!" Sad

Team defeat - bring on the *06! :/
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 14:35
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Erm, i don't see how ride height would damage the sensor? The input gear is on the o/s driveshaft where it enters the final drive housing, the lower engine mount means the inner part of the driveshaft is kept at the correct angle regardless of ride heigh, it's only the angle of the outer driveshaft that would change.

For the speedo to not work, either the sensor's knackered or the driveshaft isn't turning Erm?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 17:40
gti-gaz

Regular

Post #6
justinaccurate wrote:
To be honest when I changed it (took 10 mins the morning I sold the car) I had to do it by touch...

Going in through the gap near the battery box, I used my camera to take pics of the top of the gearbox so I knew roughly where it was, then it's one clip and one bolt. Don't bother going underneath there will be a gearbox in your way!

ahah! I think I know where it is.. I've been trying to attack it from the underneath offside

Unsure LOL

I'll have another go now Smile
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 19:44
gti-gaz

Regular

Post #7
gti-gaz wrote:
justinaccurate wrote:

ahah! I think I know where it is.. I've been trying to attack it from the underneath offside

Unsure LOL

I'll have another go now Smile

found within seconds.. and I can see the cable is fuucked

edit: although not sure what my next step is Huh? Sad
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 20:02
rikky 🦔

Post #8
cut bad wire out. add new wire. admire

at a guess..

i'll be doing this soon. keep putting it off, it's not bad enough yet

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 20:36