displaying posts 26 to 42 of 42

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Carbon wrap the coil Pack cover?
k22wes

Senior User

Post #26
could you not carbon wrap it and then spray on a few coats of clear lacquer? thats what i was going to try.

205 gti6 white phase 2.
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 21:22
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
gnrlee wrote:
i'd certnally have a crack at it it doesn't look that hard to do,..

say you do a full bonnet with supports what sort of regulations have to be met before you can put something like that on your car?

it's one thing doing a cover for something but from a safety point of view would something like that need to be checked out thoroughly if only for insurance purposes?

Yeh im sure there is laws regarding strength etc, and what your need for a double skinned bonnet compared to a single skinned, would be very surprised if there wasnt anyways!

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 21:23
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Fellas the best/cheapest way of doing this would be with Water Transfer Printing. I'll order myself a starter kit next week do do some interior and engine bay parts and post it on the projects section. There was also a thread somewhere where I put some videos of the procedure think it was in off topic not sure about it though.
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 21:38
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
marco gti6 wrote:
Fellas the best/cheapest way of doing this would be with Water Transfer Printing. I'll order myself a starter kit next week do do some interior and engine bay parts and post it on the projects section. There was also a thread somewhere where I put some videos of the procedure think it was in off topic not sure about it though.

I think i know what you mean, saw it on American Chopper, they did a chopper as an "outdoor" theme, and the company used water transfer to do camo effect, mental stuff and very easy to do, dip it in, pull it out, leave to dry Laugh my ass off

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 21:40
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Found the thread Fellas, there you go:

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=133439&page=1

sorry for not clickifying
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 21:45
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #31
oecken wrote:
gnrlee wrote:
i'd certnally have a crack at it it doesn't look that hard to do,..

say you do a full bonnet with supports what sort of regulations have to be met before you can put something like that on your car?

it's one thing doing a cover for something but from a safety point of view would something like that need to be checked out thoroughly if only for insurance purposes?

Yeh im sure there is laws regarding strength etc, and what your need for a double skinned bonnet compared to a single skinned, would be very surprised if there wasnt anyways!

Double skinned all the way! stronger has got to be better?

unless your OCD about weight saving and you happen to be driving for McLaren then i'd always opt for stronger Dunno

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 21:51
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #32

Clickification Granted! Wink

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 21:52
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
oecken wrote:
marco gti6 wrote:

I think i know what you mean, saw it on American Chopper, they did a chopper as an "outdoor" theme, and the company used water transfer to do camo effect, mental stuff and very easy to do, dip it in, pull it out, leave to dry Laugh my ass off

Right, and the starter pack i'm going to buy also comes with 2K clear coat laquer which they say is the same as used on cars. Once finished it also has the deept look of real carbonfibre, and it wont ad any weight as the film is incredebly thin.

However I found a site in germany who also post overseas and whom have the best price for the whole kit wich includes everything you need. if needed you can even supply your colour code and make carbon look in every imaginable colour.

http://www.mst-design.de/

As said I will order a kit very soon and try it out on my center console, as well as on my coilpack cover and batery cover and let you guys know how it went Wink
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 21:53
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
I think that will work very well on the center consle, could have a nice little business if all works out there.

Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 22:13
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
oecken wrote:
I think that will work very well on the center consle, could have a nice little business if all works out there.

I thauught so myself, however it is not as simple as shown in most youtube videos as you have to make sure that the water temp stays at a steady temperature and you also need to have a big enough let me call it "water tank" to dip bigger pieces. But if everything goes well I'll make a FAQ so you Fellas can do the same in your bathtub LOL
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 22:16
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
Isn't 2K paint the stuff that leaves you with lifelong crippling asthma unless you have a proper clean-air respirator system?

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 23:08
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
owain wrote:
Isn't 2K paint the stuff that leaves you with lifelong crippling asthma unless you have a proper clean-air respirator system?

Blink Blink Blink

I heard that too Crazy
Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 00:28
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #38
ask AdamB, the 3M stuff definitely wont do it at all, its indoor only stuff an even then that's pushing it, but the Oracal seems much better, might be worth trying to see how it copes.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Mar 2011 at 02:55
mabgti

NV motors

Post #39
considering i provided streamline carbon the parts for moulding thought id get a discount.. did i f*ck.. hence i go elsewhere for my premium carbon now

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 23rd Mar 2011 at 03:20
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
k22wes wrote:
could you not carbon wrap it and then spray on a few coats of clear lacquer? thats what i was going to try.

Nope you lose the top texture which is what gives you the effect. Been there tried that Wink

3M DiNoc hasn't got a hope in hell of staying on anything. The Oracal one is better but I still think you'll have issues getting it clean enough and also stop it from lifting around the filler cap.

In theory yes it can be done, in practice probably not for any length of time.

Nothing to see here
Posted 23rd Mar 2011 at 03:26
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
I don't see the attraction in carbon wrapping to be honest. I'd always prefer the proper stuff LOL

Nothing to see here
Posted 23rd Mar 2011 at 03:28
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
adam b wrote:
I don't see the attraction in carbon wrapping to be honest. I'd always prefer the proper stuff

None of the weight-saving benefits, just all the mutterings of "what a w*nker" under people's breath LOL

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 23rd Mar 2011 at 12:29

Pages (2): 1 [2]