displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Could my troubles be the top mount ?
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi Members,

Recently my 6 has had a vibration going through to the steering wheel and i can hear a noise, its louder at higher speed and now its all the time. I think its the off side mount at play as when i turn the steering right the noise is loud but turning left there is no noise.

Or could it be the wishbones at fault ?

I cant do links on here but can on many other forums, not sure why not thoughUnsure

Anyway which of these are the best to get or are the OE spec the right choice to get when it comes to buying the top mounts ?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/suspension-mounting

Cheers Smile

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Black 306 GTI 6 Standard, was 60k mileage, bargain!!

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 05:01
darzmat

Senior User

Post #2
sounds like a wheel bearing tbh

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 05:23
darzmat

Senior User

Post #3
is it a humming sort of noise or knocking? my top mounts are shot, and it makes a a knocking noise when turning at low speed, i dont think it woulod make a constant noise at speed

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 05:25
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Humm ill check the wheel bearing tomorrow. No not a humming sound more a knocking sound. It gets louder the higher the speed. A while ago there was a knocking sound when going over bumps/pot holes etc on the same side, the same sound is now all the time.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 05:30
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
CV joint springs to mind if the noise is going with the revolutions of the wheel?Wink

If the noise is only when going over bumps etc could be top mount/wishbone bushes/balljoint.

But if the noise is matching the revolution of wheels its got to be something thats turning with the wheels,wheel bearing/CV joint/gearbox etcSmile

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 17:43
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
Could also be droplinks, jack it up and get under there with a lever and look for play in anything with a joint/bearing in it.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 19th Mar 2011 at 17:48
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Well the noise is now only every so often after giving it a short weekend drive ???

Its a knocking noise and due to me having to weld my other car over the weekend i did not have time to have a good look at it. I will later on. Ill have a good look and pull of all the above bits but im sure it is the top mount.

Not long now till the lighter nights come in :-D

Will keep this updated, cheers.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 21:55
beez_neez_gt

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Now sorted, it was the top mounts & bearings which have been replaced. I have new proper stronger and longer bolts from mrswampy, so the strut brace wont fubber the top mount threads etc.

Pug fee`ver,

Pick a Bogey, buy a Pug.

Posted 30th Apr 2011 at 07:40