displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Low bite on clutch
samjl

Junior User

Post #1
Hello!

I was just about to order a new clutch cable, but thought I would make sure here that it was the clutch cable, and not the clutch. The bite is quite low, and there seems to be alot of play at the top of the pedal. It also requires a bit of force to get it in to gear sometimes, not all the time, but quite often, it doesn't crunch, but it does require a little force. The clutch was a bit sticky, but a bit of grease seems to have sorted this out!

One more thing, If i press the clutch in, and then flick it out quickly, the play goes until I press it in again without flicking it out, and then it goes back to having play.

Also, would worn engine and gearbox mounts make it tricky to get in to gear when moving?

Just thought I would ask here and see what was actually wrong!

Thanks,

Sam
Posted 16th Mar 2011 at 04:27
rich306.

Regular

Post #2
Exact same symptoms I had right before I had my clutch replaced. The stiff clutch pedal and the pedal sticking is related to the cable like you quite rightly said.

But the low bite does show signs of a worn clutch, what mileage is the car on?

As for the play in the pedal (someone correct me if I am wrong) but I believe this is to do with the clutch arm. The one thing I forgot to have done while I had my clutch done Doh so I still have slight play in the pedal in the exact way you described, even after I had the clutch and cable replaced.

Personally I think your best of doing the whole lot in one go. Clutch, Cable, Clutch arm and Bushes. Saves on time and gives you peace of mind Thumbs up

Ex Bianca 6 Owner R.I.P

Mazda RX7 FD3s - Daily...
Posted 16th Mar 2011 at 16:14
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
It's nothing to do with the clutch cable at all. It's the bushes in the clutch arm that need coming out and greasing.

I had my clutch replaced about 2 months ago and greased the bushes with no cable replacement and it's nice and light Smile

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 16th Mar 2011 at 18:44
samjl

Junior User

Post #4
We put some lube down the cable and the clutch went much better, it felt softer and the sticky feeling had gone. Bite is still low, and it looks like the auto adjust in the cable is knackered. I don't want to go and buy a clutch if that's not what I need, but at the same time, if I am getting the Gearbox open to look at it, I may as well stick a clutch in it!

Wheres the best/cheapest place to buy a new O/E or similar clutch, cable, arm and bushes, and what sort of price am I looking at?

Regards,

Sam

Posted 18th Mar 2011 at 03:07
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
samjl wrote:
We put some lube down the cable and the clutch went much better, it felt softer and the sticky feeling had gone. Bite is still low, and it looks like the auto adjust in the cable is knackered. I don't want to go and buy a clutch if that's not what I need, but at the same time, if I am getting the Gearbox open to look at it, I may as well stick a clutch in it!

Wheres the best/cheapest place to buy a new O/E or similar clutch, cable, arm and bushes, and what sort of price am I
looking at?

Regards,

Sam

Bucks autos or gsf I got a valeo kit for £150 Inc vat. As said my clutch was real heavy until we greased the clutch arm bushes Smile

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 18th Mar 2011 at 19:20
samjl

Junior User

Post #6
Does that £150 include clutch, cable, bushes?
Posted 18th Mar 2011 at 19:44
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Have a go at fooling the self adjuster. Get an assistant to lever the clutch arm on the box forward a bit while you operate the clutch pedal.
Sometimes the self adjuster needs a little 'help' to adjust up.

Al

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 18th Mar 2011 at 21:48
jimbamboon

Senior User

Post #8
mattgti6phase2 wrote:
It's nothing to do with the clutch cable at all. It's the bushes in the clutch arm that need coming out and greasing.

I had my clutch replaced about 2 months ago and greased the bushes with no cable replacement and it's nice and light Smile

I just had my clutch and bushes all replaced by carl (no new cable) and it was amazing for about a week, now it feels more difficult to get into gear again and the bite point has lowered. Could this be a worn cable adjuster?

"We never have any near misses, we hit them every time!"

clicky code for my benefit

[ url= http://www.website.com]My link[/url ]
Posted 21st Jun 2011 at 01:57