displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: New clutch at 51k?!!
laz101

Junior User

Post #1
I'm just wanting to gauge peoples thoughts; i have had my rallye checked over and serviced by Dave at Grove Autos who has been very helpful with good advice to ensure i am not paying for things unless really needed. He is however really concerned that my clutch is on its way out as he says the pedal is unusally stiff, making an occasional creaking noise which is apparently very similar to another 306 gti6 he worked on before the clutch whent pop. The car seems to have been looked after reasonably well but with no service history its difficult to tell.
This being my first 306 rallye i was expecting the clutch to be stiff, which it is almost uncomfortably so. I suppose it only needed one owner to be aggresive with the car for the clutch to wear out quicker than expected.

Lawrence
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 02:16
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
More likely the the cable and possibly the bushes that sit at each end of the clutch release fork.

The latter requires the box to come off so if that's the case you may as well change the clutch too! The cable can be done in situ Smile

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 02:27
laz101

Junior User

Post #3
SteviePut wrote:
More likely the the cable and possibly the bushes that sit at each end of the clutch release fork.

The latter requires the box to come off so if that's the case you may as well change the clutch too! The cable can be done in situ Smile

Ok cheers well as you say if the box is out then might as well do it all.

Lawrence
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 02:39
darzmat

Senior User

Post #4
i did my clutch cable today, ad couldnt believe the difference, was really stiff before and now feels brand new. i would go with that first before spending money on parts that are not needed

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 02:42
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I replaced my clutch cable the other day and hadnt realised just how stiff it had become until i fitted the new cable.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 03:10
laz101

Junior User

Post #6
My guy thinks its more likely that the pressure plate is starting to fail or corrode. might do the cable first and then see

Lawrence
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 13:35
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
My rallye is just over 90k now and i have never changed the clutch cable No First time the clutch was changed was around the 50k mark for me, hasnt been changed since.

Glad your getting on ok with Grove Autos Smile

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 16:10
darzmat

Senior User

Post #8
im on 122k and still original clutch, i think the cable may have been replaced at some stage and the clip for the a/c pipes had been removed

1997 blaze GTI-6 bought january '11 £800

Spend to date on parts £827.88

Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 17:27
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
laz101 wrote:
My guy thinks its more likely that the pressure plate is starting to fail or corrode. might do the cable first and then see

How many GTi6's has he worked on?

Collectively, we'd pretty much all tell you it's the fork bushes, or indeed the cable. Change the cable, and drive it. If it gives you grief and you wanted to change the fork bearings (specifically the bottom one) you'd need the box off so you may as well change the clutch whilst you're there.

Mileages mean nothing for a clutch. I've known people need them in HDi's at 40K, but my original is still going at 230+ (albeit slipping now). It depends entirely on how lazy the left foot of your previous owner was.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 17:40
bennn

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
tvrfan007 wrote:

Mileages mean nothing for a clutch. I've known people need them in HDi's at 40K, but my original is still going at 230+ (albeit slipping now). It depends entirely on how lazy the left foot of your previous owner was.

+1

Its stupid to say a clutch will last X amount of miles as every mile is different. My HDI spent most its life on the motorway so un-surprisingly the clutch is still fine after 219k.

I bet your 51k Rallye has seen a lot of stop start town driving (probably a fair bit more welly aswell) hence needing a clutch much sooner.

Cherry Red 306 HDI
Championship White Integra DC5 Type R
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 17:44
laz101

Junior User

Post #11
Cheers guys...i'm going to get the cable replaced and see how it feels. He has worked on a number of GTI6s so pretty sure he knows his stuff. As has been said if it was driven hard/lots of town driving the clutch is not going to be in great shape

Lawrence
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 19:02