displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: 2nd lambda boss
mcfc1987

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Got blueflame waiting to make me a full system including de-cat and they are putting a second boss on so I can run my wideband and they want to know where to fit it, without having access to my car (sat at work) I cant have a poke around. Basically where should I ask them to put the boss, I was thinking about asking them to put it directly inline with the boss that’s already there but don’t know how much distance to put between the two.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 16:38
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
What's wrong with using the wideband sensor in the standard position?

Any half decent wideband controller will have a narrowband output to connect to the ECU.

Rich
Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 17:05
mcfc1987

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
it does and it will be connected to the ecu, a couple of others though have had issues after removing the standard one so it's easier to get a second boss welded on

Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 17:39
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
You shouldn't need to use the standard lambda and the wideband.

You only need to use both on cars where the lambda sensor heating circuit is ECU controlled or interfaced. This is to stop the ECU faulting when you remove the standard sensor.

On the GTi-6 the lambda sensor heating circuit does not run through the ECU, so removing the standard sensor in it's entirety and replacing it with a wideband (in simulated narrowband mode) should work fine..

Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 18:32
mcfc1987

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
SHOULD lol, i know smegal and ballardpaul both had issues with only running the wideband.

So do you reckon i could get away with completely removing the old lambda and connecting the widebands output to the ecu in narrow band format via the existing wire and just blanking off all the other wires?

Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 18:44
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I found that as soon as the sensor read -- (part throttle when the engine is running like 15psi vacuum) the lambda output voltage goes really low (1/3) of standard, it makes the car flat spot and flags up diagnostic errors. I may have simply set my gauge up wrong and will go to see Mabz as ASAP in case it is an error on my part.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 18:50
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Yes, you should be able to remove it entirely with no advers effects.

From what smegal is saying the faults are more likely to be caused by differences in the outputs between the OEM narrowband sensor, and the wideband in 'simulated narrowband' mode.

I did do this on my car when I had the standard ECU, but I used the Innovate LC-1 which is a different kettle of fish all together, so unfortunately i'm not sure of the exact solution to your problem.

Unsure

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 18:59
mcfc1987

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I think that i will go for the second boss and run the wideband as a gauge only for a bit unitl the problem is resolved.

Would both still read correctly if they were installed in line with each other a couple of inches apart?

Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 19:07
mcfc1987

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
can i get it here?

Posted 14th Mar 2011 at 19:54