displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Brake fade on standard brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lammylama

Regular

Post #1
Just got back from a spirited drive in the 6 and was surprised how much brake fade i had after only hitting the pedal hard a few times,worrying to be honest as the brakes are awesome with normal driving but obviously cant cope with a bit of fast road!!!.....The car had brand new discs and pads recently(yes they have been bedded in) so i think im defo in need of an upgrade before i hit the Ring this year!!....is fade on these cars usual??...or did the previous owner fit cheap pads i wonder,wouldnt have thought so with the amount been spent on it in the last year.
Is a good fast road pad like DS2500 enough to eliminate fade on the 6 or do i need discs too?????
Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 01:36
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
what pads were fitted and how old is the brake fluid?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 01:43
lammylama

Regular

Post #3
i dont know what were fitted welsh,just says pads on the invoice.....good point about the fluid too,my mate had bad fade on his scooby and that turned out to be old,boiled fluid.

Whats the best fluid to run on a 6???
Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 01:50
lammylama

Regular

Post #4
the other thing i noticed was that once the fade started, the brakes were binding too,would hardly roll down a slope for a little while,everything is fine now its all cooled down!!!!!!
Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 01:53
berger

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Crap fluid and pads.

Grease up the pistons to stop them sticking too.

Bang'in 7 gram rocks!
I have one gear, GO!
Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 02:13
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
If it just shows pads on the invoice I;d expect the cheapest pads going to make the most profit, Most people would never drive like this so it;s never picked up, but with most of us here it's quite common so will show up in no time
As said some good pads, I either use Mintex or Pagid and that should do, Watch out on changing the fluid thou as the rear blead nipples may snap off

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 05:05
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Old fluid and cheap unipart style pads will both give you fade.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 13:38
lammylama

Regular

Post #8
Fluid and brake pad change is added to my to do list then......god this list is getting long and expensive lol.....just want the car to be right for the ring tho!
Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 13:54
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Mate trust me if you think a fluid and pad change is a long and expensive list you might want to think carefully about a ring trip Yes

Don't skimp on either if you're planning it, especially now you've experienced first hand what effect that has.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 14:27
lammylama

Regular

Post #10
lol....thats not my entire list owain,i said i will add these items to my already huge list,i go to the ring every year so know whats involved in it,this is my first 6 so dont know a great deal about them.
Have always done it in my 330 bhp scooby but brought the 6 for the ring this year....already brought £600 's worth of mods in the last week alone so i dont intend skimping on the car at all.

Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 15:32
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Phew! A mate of mine sh*t himself the other week on a standard b-road when he cooked the brakes and now looks on trackdays in an altogether different way LOL

I did my first few trackdays with standard discs and DS2500 pads, they were more than good enough until you want to start messing about with different calipers Yes

Have fun with the spending spree Smile

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 12th Mar 2011 at 16:38
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I used to have genuine pug pads and brembo discs, they were more than upto spirited b road driving and did a session or two at FCS without issue, after about 2/3 of a lap of the nordschleife they had faded though so i had to back off.
I ended up leaving the pad material on the discs by the end of the 'ring trip but they still got me home.

I replaced the discs with zimmermann ones from gsf and ds2500 pads, since then i've done a trackday at oulton park and it took a good 20 mins to get the brakes to the point of getting a bit toasty.

On my track car i'm planning on using a similar setup for the time being until i get some 4 pots, maybe go back to brembo discs, not that it really matters.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th Mar 2011 at 01:12